Search the forum,

Discuss Waste Water Drainage Issue in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

My dish washer and washing machine are installed next to one another per the attached picture. After using the washing machine waste water per the attached picture fills the bottom of the dishwasher. In the attached picture this the waste water after 2 washing machine loads. Attached is a picture of the washing machine set up from behind. Was wondering why this is happening:

1) Did the appliance man not install the washing machine & or dishwasher correctly?
2) Should there be a separate draining pipe connecting the dish washer and washing machine OR are the 2 appliances sharing the same water waste pipe which maybe is a plumbing mistake?

Note: In reverse the washing machine never fills with waste water from the dishwasher and when I turn my dish washer on the waste water present at the bottom of the dishwasher flushes out. Should I not use the dishwasher though, waste water will build up in that appliance and spill out onto the floor.

Have attached a picture of my kitchen sink drain too so you so the type of drainage existing in my property. I have a council flat built circa 1970’s.

Let me know how to fix this issue if at all. thanks

Attachments

• Dishwasher fill of waste water.jpeg
    Dishwasher fill of waste water.jpeg
    331.8 KB · Views: 16
  • Washing Machine Pic from Behind.jpg
    Washing Machine Pic from Behind.jpg
    341.5 KB · Views: 20
  • Kitchen Sink Drainage.jpg
    Kitchen Sink Drainage.jpg
    298 KB · Views: 21
  • Washing Machine & Dishwasher, Kettle & Toaster.jpg
    Washing Machine & Dishwasher, Kettle & Toaster.jpg
    292.9 KB · Views: 20
Well, for starter, the wrong trap has been fitted to the kitchen sink, a bath trap has been used 😟. I can’t actually see where the dishwasher and washing machine wastes terminate, however the dishwasher one appears to be drooped. I suspect you have a blockage somewhere though, but need better photos to help confirm this.

Well, for starter, the wrong trap has been fitted to the kitchen sink, a bath trap has been used 😟. I can’t actually see where the dishwasher and washing machine wastes terminate, however the dishwasher one appears to be drooped. I suspect you have a blockage somewhere though, but need better photos to help confirm this.
First of all thanks for your assistance. Potentially, there could be a blockage. I am unable to get fully behind the dishwasher & washing machine. My thinking was that I suspect the appliance engineer mistakenly used the same waste pipe & shared 2 connections (ie both for dishwasher & washing machine) rather than each appliance having its own separate waste pipe. Thus, when finishing a washing machine cycle waste water travels along the waste pipe & fills up some of the waste water in the connection for the dishwasher which then rises up into the dishwasher basin being situated along side the washing machine per the above picture. Would this be a fair assumption? Has anyone else experienced this?

Luca
This may be repeating what you already know, but for clarity, to avoid the sort of problem you're having, the waste pipes for the washing m/c and dishwasher should have seperate connections to the drain.
For each machine, its flexible waste pipe should be routed up almost to worktop height, and from there, either drop into the top of a dedicated vertical waste pipe with a trap at the bottom which is connected to the drain, OR each machine is connected to a separate spigot on the kitchen sink waste pipe (illustration on right)
eg one or other (or a combination) of the following methods:
PS Ignore the reference to "air tight connection" below left - that's not relevant here.
9167F887-3F4A-4FC0-9BDB-8B5C96AE9BC8.png95402DA7-00D3-4972-891F-E6BF77AF58C3.jpeg
Other people have indeed experienced what you have, and here is an example from another forum where it was plumbed incorrectly, and the same problem occurred:
DDA17309-DC6F-4FA8-A102-F9C9FD82701F.jpeg
If it's easy for the waste water from one machine to flow into the other, and a machine is not provided with an internal non-return valve, then the dirty water will flow from one to the other. But I'm surprised a reputable installer would do what is shown here above, though to be fair, it is for the homeowner to provide a suitable drainage arrangement when purchasing these sorts of appliances.
I hope you manage to get this resolved soon.

Reply to Waste Water Drainage Issue in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock