Search the forum,

Discuss Waste pipe issue - 40mm pipe sliced open in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Sfc

I’m having an issue with some waste pipework that I’ve never come across before! Customer has reported a leak on some 40mm waste pipe i installed under a kitchen sink about 18 months ago. It appears to have cracked but it’s like someone has taken a Stanley knife or a plastic pipe slice to it it’s that clean of a slice! There is a Quooker boiling tap installed which I thought could be the cause but customer assures me it’s only used for filling cups/ pots etc and isn’t actually ran into the bowl and down the waste. Any advice appreciated!

Attachments

• 4AA440F0-7521-4E2F-82E9-47F62EE1AC1A.png
    4AA440F0-7521-4E2F-82E9-47F62EE1AC1A.png
    685.9 KB · Views: 41
I never trust what a customer tells me.

Tell customer you will have to get the pipe manufacturer involved to get to the bottom of it. Obviously all chargeable if found to be of the customers doing.

Tell customer you will have to get the pipe manufacturer involved to get to the bottom of it. Obviously all chargeable if found to be of the customers doing.

It’s actually my wife’s cousin so I do trust 100% there’s no foul play involved. No kids or animals in the house etc! Just never come across it before. Happened not long after installing and it’s done it again now it’s bizarre

Is it under stress, I could imagine that happening if continually stressed in one direction.
i.e. if you undo it from the trap does the pipe want to spring downwards? Solvent pipe is definitely the more brittle waste type.

It's the Quooker.
I used to do a lot of Supermarket Cafes, the solvent waste pipe always cracked downstream of the dishwashers which dumped water at 85c ish.
It always cracked close to a fitting, sometimes so close it looked like it was a bad joint.
It would also crack where it was fitted too tight to walls or cupboards with no room to expand.

Last edited:
What is the black corrugated pipe?
How is it connected to the waste pipe?

its a self tapping waste/discharge from the Quooker tap or scale unit I think, Going over this morning to check it out
[automerge]1593753914[/automerge]
Is it under stress, I could imagine that happening if continually stressed in one direction.
i.e. if you undo it from the trap does the pipe want to spring downwards? Solvent pipe is definitely the more brittle waste type.
Plenty of room in the cupboard, I’ll check though, What can I use that’s a bit tougher than solvent weld any ideas?

It's definitely temperature related, which is why you dont use solvent weld on an unvented cylinder.

My parents have a Quooker with Solvent weld and don’t have this issue. There’s has been in 3 years too.
Also you get people pouring pans of boiling water down and don’t have this issue?

My parents have a Quooker with Solvent weld and don’t have this issue. There’s has been in 3 years too.
Also you get people pouring pans of boiling water down and don’t have this issue?
This is what I don’t get. Customers are my wife’s cousin so I’m certain there not using the boiling water down the waste regularly! Never had this on any other style of boiling taps installed

This is what I don’t get. Customers are my wife’s cousin so I’m certain there not using the boiling water down the waste regularly! Never had this on any other style of boiling taps installed
The only time i've had something similar was when a customer was pouring acidic waste down - which is understandable. I've also had Solvent go brittle when it was encased in fibre glass. Happened twice, first thought it was drain cleaner, second time round was 12 months later. Ended up taping the pipe and not had any issues since.

Reply to Waste pipe issue - 40mm pipe sliced open in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock