Search the forum,

Discuss Waste for an original clawfoot bath? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

I am replumbing my lakeside hunting cabin (totally off grid, water from a well or the lake, solar power through a battery bank and now a large generator, place is wired throughout for12v and always has been. Now, with the addition of a generator and a scrounged hot water cylinderwith an immersion heater, the ancient bath may come into use again. Because nobody likes to bath or shower in cold water.
The bath is the original, put in when the bathroom and kitchen were built on, around 1914. it's been sitting there looking pretty for the last 50-odd years since the Raeburn had to go - it was too heavy for the kitchen floor and was making the place sink.
So I have taps to suit, waste pipes of all sizes available, but have no idea if a modern waste will fit the old waste hole in the bath - it was stripped of all it's fittings over the yeard by people breaking in to steal the copper and lead piping.

Lat time I was up ther (it's about a 2 hour drive) , I forgot to measure the size of the waste hole.
What are the chances of an off-the-shelf fitting going in, with plenty of Plumber's Mait?
Or would a larger sized fitting have been used to fit into the lead waste pipe? I know it was lead as the thieves left a scrap behind them when they were stripping the bath - luckily the place is on an island, and the bath weighs a tonne, or they would have stolen that as well.
There are plenty of modern replica baths about, with normal fittings the same as a normal modern tub, but somehow I don't think these fittings are going to drop into place neatly, with a bead of sealant, and tighten up with their little plastic nuts and rubber gaskets.
I was sure there would be a vintage bath collector's forum around where I could ask - but if one does exist, I haven't been able to find it!
I do remember measuring the waste hole many years back, and for some reason have the figure "70mm" in my head - but that could have been a dream, or the size of something else that I was measuring at the time.
It certainly seems very large for a bath waste outlet, though perhaps that was a rough guess at the size of the upper flange, and the plug hole itself was 2" or something?
I am at a loss, anyway, so any suggestions would be welcome - I have considered just cutting a hole in the floor and letting it drain, after using a large circular piece of thin rubber to keep the water in while bathing - unfortunately the bathroom is upstairs and the generator is located directly underneath!

Any thoughts, guesses, or just general abuse are welcome, as I can't seem to find the Wikipedia page on "How to find the right bath waste for an old bath" yet, either.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Patrick.

This may fit possibly obviously you will need a bath trap and pipe to a suitable place to drain . Kop

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190929-204930_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190929-204930_Chrome.jpg
    296 KB · Views: 10

Reply to Waste for an original clawfoot bath? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock