Search the forum,

Discuss Washing Machine Waste in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

About twenty years ago, we had an extension built with a utility room for washing machine and tumble dryer. We've been through four or five washing machines since then and I have simply pushed the washing machine drain onto a tapered nozzle which screws on the end of the trap.

Recently, Mrs MalcBox is complaining of "a smell" despite running regular doses of cleaner through the machine, so I am wondering if it's time to replace the waste pipes. There isn't a lot of room between the trap and the worktop - about 5" between the arrows, which is why (I presume) the builders put in the pictured contraption; there simply no room to fit a "traditional" downpipe and trap and I don't really want to drill a lower hole hole through the wall to accommodate one.

My question is should this assembly have an air admittance mechanism somewhere and if so, should it be before or after the trap? I would have thought a T-piece would be simple enough to fit and a valve placed on the vertical. As I say, this setup seems to have worked fine for 20 odd years, but I'm wondering if a sealed system is the best way way to do things. Any suggestions welcome!

Malc

Attachments

• Wash Waste.jpg
    Wash Waste.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 14
You could be getting a loss of trap seal from either induced siphonage, or something else. The trap seal might not be deep enough, what about one of these? McAlpine Running P Trap White 40mm - https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/mcalpine-running-p-trap-white-40mm/47605

You could be getting a loss of trap seal from either induced siphonage, or something else. The trap seal might not be deep enough, what about one of these? McAlpine Running P Trap White 40mm - https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/mcalpine-running-p-trap-white-40mm/47605

To add to this, ensure the discharge hose loops up and then down to the waste pipe connection. Don’t come off the waste pipe connection horizontally and drop straight down.

Reply to Washing Machine Waste in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock