Search the forum,

Discuss washing machine waste in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello.

My father in law has just moved into a new place, and noticed his washing machine was filling up with water. I guessed it was coming back in from the waste pipe so fitted an angled connection to stop the sink water finding its way up and in so to speak. Anyways hes getting a new washing machine so i unplugged it all but water is coming out of the washing machine waste connector put on there. Heres a pic of the set up. It looks like the trap is level with the waste so every-time he empties the sink some of the water goes into the washing machine waste. Was looking what to do maybe extend the trap lower so the waster is higher?.

Attachments

• rsz_1rsz_img_20200122_161318731.jpg
    rsz_1rsz_img_20200122_161318731.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 14
It is critical that the washing machine hose connects to the trap spigot, and then is routed as high up as you can inside that cupboard and back down again low to the WM.

Some washing machines and dishwashers come with a U-shaped form which also doubles as a hanger/bracket to route the discharge pipe in this manner.

If you don't have one of those you will need to improvise. I have used a small eye screw installed into the underside of the worktop and a cable tie as a hanger for this before. If you did not have your discharge pipe routed this way before, give it a go and report back.

If you did have it routed correctly, we'll have to investigate further.

It's possible the waste pipe is partially blocked downstream, causing the water to back up to the Washing machine spigot level.
It shouldn't flow out the spigot into the washer.

When pulling the plug on a full sink it is possible for it to escape through the spigot hence the need to take the hose up to a higher point first, then back down again.

I was hoping OP would confirm how they had that hose installed during use but I don't think they've been back yet.

Hello.

My father in law has just moved into a new place, and noticed his washing machine was filling up with water. I guessed it was coming back in from the waste pipe so fitted an angled connection to stop the sink water finding its way up and in so to speak. Anyways hes getting a new washing machine so i unplugged it all but water is coming out of the washing machine waste connector put on there. Heres a pic of the set up. It looks like the trap is level with the waste so every-time he empties the sink some of the water goes into the washing machine waste. Was looking what to do maybe extend the trap lower so the waster is higher?.
Undo the u bend from that white fitting put in a bucket directly it might be blocked , if so clean out and refit carefully. Chking Then pop outside and see where it might go good luck

Has the washing m/c disharge hose been extended leaving loads laying on the floor before it raises to the sink?

It's possible the waste pipe is partially blocked downstream, causing the water to back up to the Washing machine spigot level.

Looking at it the ubend its always full of water so when the sink empties some water is pushed up into the waste as its level?

When pulling the plug on a full sink it is possible for it to escape through the spigot hence the need to take the hose up to a higher point first, then back down again.

I was hoping OP would confirm how they had that hose installed during use but I don't think they've been back yet.

Right theres so much water and its not clearing the ubend so it heads up the waste. What happened was he had a straight connector on there so i put that angled one on. Hes since taken the old machine away waiting for a new one. I ll have to double check, but im sure the hose was not angled high enough and it was running water into his old machine.

Undo the u bend from that white fitting put in a bucket directly it might be blocked , if so clean out and refit carefully. Chking Then pop outside and see where it might go good luck

Yeah i took the ubend off, and its clear. Hes in a flat so couldnt pop outside lol.

Has the washing m/c disharge hose been extended leaving loads laying on the floor before it raises to the sink?

Well the thing is im thinking the hose was not clipped in properly when he put the old machine in. The complex hes in had someone to hook the machine up so i dont know. I will be making sure his new one has the hose fitted properly.

As it stands with the hose off when the sink empties water comes out of the angled connector. Now instead of me trying to alter whats there im going to like i said make sure the waste from the washing machine is clipped in properly and even if i have to reroute it again ill do that.

Ill let you all know how it goes with the new machine

Thanks for the kind replies i appreciate your time.

Reply to washing machine waste in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock