Search the forum,

Discuss Washing machine waste pipe - noob question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBB

Hi,

I have a washing machine that is too far from the waste connection so I'm trying to use an extension.

I'll map out what I have so far:

Tapered washing machine hose > outlet hose connector (secured both sides with a jubilee clip) > generic washing machine hose kit > waste spigot under sink.

Problem I have is that the end of the generic washing machine hose kit is too big for the spigot. The spigot easily fits into the opening and then I can just about force the connection inside, but this clearly won't hold.

Two thoughts:
1) I have the wrong bit of kit and the generic washing machine kit won't do the job. The kind I have is easily seen if you google 'washing machine waste hose' - the kind with the waste pipe 'u' holder
2) I can cut the large connector off the end of the generic hose, fit that over the spigot and then jubilee clip that up. I'm not sure this will work as the jubilee clip will be on the kinked hose.

What do you think? (Note, replacing the waste trap / spigot with a downpipe isn't an option)

Cheers

J

Spigot trap can usually be trimmed down with hacksaw to allow the hose to fit over the thicker part. Then secure with jubilee

Hi,

I have a washing machine that is too far from the waste connection so I'm trying to use an extension.

I'll map out what I have so far:

Tapered washing machine hose > outlet hose connector (secured both sides with a jubilee clip) > generic washing machine hose kit > waste spigot under sink.

Problem I have is that the end of the generic washing machine hose kit is too big for the spigot. The spigot easily fits into the opening and then I can just about force the connection inside, but this clearly won't hold.

Two thoughts:
1) I have the wrong bit of kit and the generic washing machine kit won't do the job. The kind I have is easily seen if you google 'washing machine waste hose' - the kind with the waste pipe 'u' holder
2) I can cut the large connector off the end of the generic hose, fit that over the spigot and then jubilee clip that up. I'm not sure this will work as the jubilee clip will be on the kinked hose.

What do you think? (Note, replacing the waste trap / spigot with a downpipe isn't an option)

Cheers

J
Stupid question but have you used the correct end of the extension hose onto the tapered coupler?

Thanks for the reply guys.

@Harvest Fields, not a stupid question at all - I'll freely admit something like that would be possible.

I did consider that. The end that I'm trying to connect to the spigot will not connect to the outlet hose connector either, whereas the other end will. The spigot and the hose connector are roughly the same size. I'm certain that the outlet hose I bought it just for a downpipe.

@KingDoey - I had not considered that, thanks I'll give it a try.

J

Can you send some pics of the extension hose and connector please

Sure:

Washing machine connection (ready to be connected and clipped up):
wmc1.png

3 views of spigot connection:

wmc2.png

wmc3.png

wmc4.png

The end of the spigot will just about jam into the inner pipe, but it will not hold and I'm sure isn't right.

Thanks again for your help.

J

Switch the ends around on the extension. Then the small end will fit on the sink connector. (Make sure you use a jubilee clip). Then cut the other end down slightly, force the connector block into the hose and tighten with a jubilee clip.

Thanks for that. Just so I'm clear, do you mean cut the end of the hose i.e. the grey section in the last image above or the outlet hose connector (the white bit in the first image above)?

My concern is that the difference in size between the two means that a jubilee clip wouldn't work. I suppose if I can push it in far enough the the jubilee clip will clamp the grey hose to the white ridge on the connector (i.e. the closest white part of the connector to the jubilee clip in the first image). Is that what you mean? See image below:

wmc5.png

So, if I can push the grey hose over the white connector to the same depth as illustrated above, I can then add a second jubilee clip where the red/pink box is, which will bite on the connector lip.

That should do the trick, if I've understood correctly.

Cheers

J

Thanks for that. Just so I'm clear, do you mean cut the end of the hose i.e. the grey section in the last image above or the outlet hose connector (the white bit in the first image above)?

My concern is that the difference in size between the two means that a jubilee clip wouldn't work. I suppose if I can push it in far enough the the jubilee clip will clamp the grey hose to the white ridge on the connector (i.e. the closest white part of the connector to the jubilee clip in the first image). Is that what you mean? See image below:

View attachment 32060

So, if I can push the grey hose over the white connector to the same depth as illustrated above, I can then add a second jubilee clip where the red/pink box is, which will bite on the connector lip.

That should do the trick, if I've understood correctly.

Cheers

J
Push the white collar inside your red square into the grey hose that is not attached and jubilee clip the right hand side of the rubber grey sleeve

Nope on the far right edge of the gray rubber the connector will be inside the hose

E006330B-5C07-49E2-989A-F51DCC7CFDD0.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Washing machine waste pipe - noob question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock