Search the forum,

Discuss Washing Machine Standpipe Setup in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hiya, I live in a housing association flat and just moved in so set up my new washing machine. When I inserted my washing machine waste pipe into the standpipe it instantly overflows when draining, I have tried it in many positions like not bent in, not to deep in or deep in ect just incase it was me and checked for blockages but nothing I can see. I have attached pictures of under the counter to see if anyone can see the problem.

Many Thanks
George

Attachments

• 20200202_225130.jpg
    20200202_225130.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 27
  • 20200202_225120.jpg
    20200202_225120.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 27
have you tried manually putting a kettle / jugg full of water down it ?

Hiya, I live in a housing association flat and just moved in so set up my new washing machine. When I inserted my washing machine waste pipe into the standpipe it instantly overflows when draining, I have tried it in many positions like not bent in, not to deep in or deep in ect just incase it was me and checked for blockages but nothing I can see. I have attached pictures of under the counter to see if anyone can see the problem.

Many Thanks
George
Standpipe looks a little short. Centralheatking

Hello Georgem1994,

Good advice from our very experienced Members.

As Member Centralheatking stated the Washing machine standpipe is definitely too short - it needs to be extended to as high up in the Sink unit as possible with just enough gap under the Sink to hook the Washing Machine waste hose into the top of it.

The standpipe should also have a couple of pipe clips to hold it firm to the side of the Sink unit so that the Washing Machine waste hose does not pull on it causing leaks at the trap.

Before You extend it with a piece of waste pipe you should take Member ShaunCorbs advice and check that the existing waste pipe / trap is not partially blocked.

I would try cold water first and if the water does not run away as quickly as you would expect disconnect the trap and have a look at both the trap and the waste pipe that it discharges into.

Extending the existing Washing Machine / Condensing Boiler condensate pipe [?] waste pipe to as high as possible within the Sink unit should solve the problem - but if it does not You would need to fit a Washing Machine trap to the Sink waste fitting - this replaces the existing Sink trap and has a spigot where the Washing Machine waste hose connects to and is secured with a Jubilee clip.

You would probably have to slightly alter the Sink waste pipe to suit a new / different trap.

This is a good quality Washing machine trap:

Good Luck in resolving the problem.

Chris
[automerge]1581560703[/automerge]
Hello Georgem1994,

Good advice from our very experienced Members.

As Member Centralheatking stated the Washing machine standpipe is definitely too short - it needs to be extended to as high up in the Sink unit as possible with just enough gap under the Sink to hook the Washing Machine waste hose into the top of it.

The standpipe should also have a couple of pipe clips to hold it firm to the side of the Sink unit so that the Washing Machine waste hose does not pull on it causing leaks at the trap.

Before You extend it with a piece of waste pipe you should take Member ShaunCorbs advice and check that the existing waste pipe / trap is not partially blocked.

I would try cold water first and if the water does not run away as quickly as you would expect disconnect the trap and have a look at both the trap and the waste pipe that it discharges into.

Extending the existing Washing Machine / Condensing Boiler condensate pipe [?] waste pipe to as high as possible within the Sink unit should solve the problem - but if it does not You would need to fit a Washing Machine trap to the Sink waste fitting - this replaces the existing Sink trap and has a spigot where the Washing Machine waste hose connects to and is secured with a Jubilee clip.

You would probably have to slightly alter the Sink waste pipe to suit a new / different trap.

This is a good quality Washing machine trap:

Good Luck in resolving the problem.

Chris

Hello again Georgem1994,

If You do have to fit a new Washing Machine spigot trap to your Sink waste fitting I forgot to mention that you should run the Washing Machine waste hose up and secure it as high as possible within the Sink unit [using a hook / pipe clip or cable tie and hook] before it then drops down to connect to the spigot on the trap.

That prevents the Sink water from flowing down into the Washing Machine hose which it would do if you just connect the hose to the trap spigot and leave it hanging down or level.

If You have enough length the hose should ideally be secured up as high as the Sink overflow and then drop down to the trap spigot to prevent Sink water getting down into the Washing Machine hose.

Depending where the Washing Machine is sometimes the hose has to be extended to achieve this - spare waste hoses are available and there are connectors available to join sections of Washing Machine waste hose.

Chris

Last edited:

Reply to Washing Machine Standpipe Setup in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock