Search the forum,

Discuss Washing machine, dishwasher and single waste trap spiggot in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Del

Hi,

I've recently moved into a house with this waste trap (pictured) with twin spigots. As you can see the spigot on the left is already in use with the boiler of all things (?) so I'd rather not mess with that.

The washing machine is now installed (after I took this picture) and uses the spigot on the right.

How can I now install a dishwasher in this setup? Is it even possible with items like y-splitters or do I need a new trap set-up altogether.

Thanks for any help/advice!

IMG_8891.JPG

Last edited:
TBH I would get the boiler condense plumbed in after the trap eg into the pipe

But yes you can get washing machine waste y adapter

1. The link is to what you were looking for, but I wouldn't be happy using it. The flow from two machines pumping out at the same time could well be more than the device could handle. You don't want dishwasher waste water in the washing machine or vice versa.

2. As ShaunCorbs suggests, you would be better off moving the boiler condensate pipe so that it joins the drain pipe after the trap. You could then use the other spigot for the dishwasher.

3. Your drain appears to go out through the wall at a fairly low level. This might give you sufficient height to fit washing machine standpipe and trap for either (or even both) dishwasher or washing machine.

4. If you aren't confident doing it all yourself, paying a plumber to get it right now could save you a good deal of hassle and possibly cash in the future.

Thanks, steadyon, but my situation is somewhat different from OP's.

unnamed (1).jpg
I only have a single spigot trap and it seems like the market does not offer another type of a Y connection so I can replace the current nozzle with 2. I am renting and there is no point in replacing the trap with a more sensible one.
Considering I do not run the two machines together, would I simply place the Y connection on top of the current nozzle?

TBH I would get the boiler condense plumbed in after the trap eg into the pipe

But yes you can get washing machine waste y adapter
Building on Shaun's advice. Personally I'd reverse the situation. Put the condensate in PRIOR to the trap and move the WM & DW after the trap.
Why?
Dishwasher & washing machine outlet hoses end up stinking to high heaven - nothing you can do about it. Unfortunately, as plumbed the stink will simply filter up the sink waste into atmosphere. The best way never to experience that stink is to plumb them in AFTER the trap so the water seal in it keeps the stink at bay. HOWEVER. It does need to be done properly.;)
The condensate has no detectable odour (to my nose).
HTH
Note to self. Read whole darn thing!

Reply to Washing machine, dishwasher and single waste trap spiggot in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock