Search the forum,

Discuss Wash Hand Basin Height in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi everyone,

I hope someone can help thanks.

I have had a new wet room installed and overall it has been done excellent. However, I have one problem and need advice.

As part of the fit it was to get a 450mm wide wall hung basin. It was hung on the wall on top of the new wet wall and gyproc so everything is now hidden and inaccessible.

The basin has been set at 760mm to the top of the sink and according to the brochure if it was fitted with a full pedestal it would sit at 840mm high. A big difference, especially as I am 6'7 in height.

I managed to reach from the whale pump access and can feel the Fischer Bolts just coming through the back end of the stud. However on a 4 inch high stud it only has about 5mm above it before nothing and there is no other horizontal studs above it.

Obviously they did not want to hit the centre of the stud as it would have made it even lower, but if they were to try and fit it higher the only option is to fasten to 11mm ply wet wall and 12mm gyproc as there are no other studs above it.

They cannot even fit a half height pedestal to fit over the bottle trap as they had to move it 30mm to the left to avoid the shower curtain and it means when it is offered upwards it will not fit into the groove underneath the sink as it will hit where the pipes come out for the water supply.

The installers think it is ok but it is too low. Could someone offer advice about how approach sorting this out?

Thanks in advance.

CH

Did you speak to them before hand saying you want it slightly higher due to your height ?

Did you speak to them before hand saying you want it slightly higher due to your height ?
Hi Shaun, no I was unwell and whilst works were taking place I was in a local hotel for a couple of days other than seeing the fitting team for a short period before leaving.

Sorry Shaun, I also should have asked. Was I wrong to assume that if it was to be 840mm with a full height pedestal then it would be the norm to set it at 840mm as a wall hung?

Last edited:
Sorry to hear this hope your better now

the only thing to do it take the tiles off and adjust it to your spec eg right height for you

it’s easy ish to adjust now as you know the spec of the tiles etc

Sorry to hear this hope your better now

the only thing to do it take the tiles off and adjust it to your spec eg right height for you

it’s easy ish to adjust now as you know the spec of the tiles etc
It is not tiles Shaun, it is wet wall all sealed in with a new anti slip floor fitted like a hospital curling up the wall.

Sorry missed the boarding but still the same just a bit more difficult

did they weld the cove joints and not just siliconed?

Sorry missed the boarding but still the same just a bit more difficult

did they weld the cove joints and not just siliconed?
Yes all welded. Also to give you an idea I have a comfort height close coupled cistern and pan and the sink is sitting about 50 -70 mm lower.

If required I could add an image.

Can you not access the wall where the basin is hung from another room?

Looking for options where you don't have to rip the bathroom apart

Yes all welded. Also to give you an idea I have a comfort height close coupled cistern and pan and the sink is sitting about 50 -70 mm lower.

Can you not access the wall where the basin is hung from another room?

Looking for options where you don't have to rip the bathroom apart
Thanks Oz, for the reply. The company foreman was out this morning and would not sign it off as satisfactory. They are going to remove that section of wet wall and plasterboard. Reposition sink 50mm to the left and raise to 850mm with new stud work at the required height or where required and then reinstate everything and I have been told I pay nothing until it is done to my satisfaction and it has been signed off by him. He has intimated that he he will be present to oversee all works.

Thanks,

CH

A nice piece of batton fixed to the stud in the wall for the basin to sit on and take the majority of its weight.
Then try and get a couple of small bits of timber in to fix the basin onto, plenty of silicon.

Thanks Oz, for the reply. The company foreman was out this morning and would not sign it off as satisfactory. They are going to remove that section of wet wall and plasterboard. Reposition sink 50mm to the left and raise to 850mm with new stud work at the required height or where required and then reinstate everything and I have been told I pay nothing until it is done to my satisfaction and it has been signed off by him. He has intimated that he he will be present to oversee all works.
A textbook example of how these snags should be handled and how a company builds and keeps a good reputation.

I used to do a lot of work for a landlord. When i fitted mirrors i fitted them so my face was in the middle of mirror (im tall) when he looked in mirror (he was short ) I always had to move the mirror.

Look at the work involved for a piece of timber.
Would you try and cover yourself and put an extra couple of pieces in.

We had a same issue a few months ago.
Customer wanted a new safe bathroom for his elderly mother.
Builder said to mark out where we want timber for all grab rails and so on. He wanted to put the timber in - didn't want us to do it.

Bathroom finished, went to fix grab rails - nothing there.
Fortunately had photos of wall and markings where we wanted timber.

They opened the walls and found our markings, and no timber.

Very costly mistake on the builder.
Virtually had to redo everything on the walls for the entire bathroom at his expense.

Hope I don't ever see that moron again

I always go ott with timbers behind plasterboard.

As an electrician friend of mine always says "better looking at it than looking for it". Plasterer was having a go at him for leaving long tails on his first fix cables. Always stuck in my head after that.

For wall hung basins I aim for 900mm from finished floor to rim. But ultimately it's the customers call.

Reply to Wash Hand Basin Height in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock