Search the forum,

Discuss W/B Greenstar Heatslave 25/32 (installed 2009) in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, any advise would be welcomed.

My boiler has locked out, due, I believe to water overheating. Although the water in the boiler seems to be piping hot, the only water coming from the hot tap is cold. If I let the water cool down over time, the boiler resets ok, but when the water gets hot again the boiler locks out. Same thing again, no hot water comes from hot water tap. I’ve changed the hot water thermostat, but no difference. Any suggestion?
Terry

Ok. Burner lockout is a problem related to the burner and not related to the temperature of water. I wouldn't go replacing anymore parts in the hope to rectify and advise you to call an engineer out. It could be a few things based on what you said above but hard to say where to start without being there.

Ok. Burner lockout is a problem related to the burner and not related to the temperature of water. I wouldn't go replacing anymore parts in the hope to rectify and advise you to call an engineer out. It could be a few things based on what you said above but hard to say where to start without being there.
Sorry, I may have mislead you, but difficult to describe from my point of view. I can only explain that that the boiler reset pops out as soon as the temperature gets too hot. As stated before that at that point there is no hot water coming out of hot tap, but there appears to be plenty of really hot water stored in boiler. Then as mentioned boiler will not reset, but when left to cool down naturally it does reset and boiler runs, but only for a few minutes until the reset button pops out again. Again sorry, but don’t know how to explain it any better.

As my friend Simon has said above, has anything changed/happened recently? Providing I'm looking at the right manual (several versions of this boiler over the years) then there is a series of thermostats in series before the manual reset thermostat. It's possible either the auto reset high limit stat is faulty or the manual reset overheat stat is faulty. I would want to be checking the temperature with a digital thermostat in the thermostat pockets.

When you say you re set the boiler is it burner lock out you re set or the manual over heat on boiler? From memory there is also a manual over heat stat on hot water tank.

As my friend Simon has said above, has anything changed/happened recently? Providing I'm looking at the right manual (several versions of this boiler over the years) then there is a series of thermostats in series before the manual reset thermostat. It's possible either the auto reset high limit stat is faulty or the manual reset overheat stat is faulty. I would want to be checking the temperature with a digital thermostat in the thermostat pockets.
I’m not being much help I’m afraid, but thinking back a few weeks ago I may have increased the pressure slightly, but can’t remember why. If there is air in the pump could this be the reason why there is no hot water coming out of the hot tap? Excuse my ignorance. If so can the pump be bled in situ, is the bleed screw accessible?

If there is air in the pump this can and will cause an airlock and no circulation, this will cause the temperature in the primary exchanger to rise rapidly causing your problem. Do you have any hot water or heating before the stat locks out?

Ok, I’ll have a look and give it a go. I’ll report back, but won’t be able to try for a little while. Thanks for everybody’s input so far.
Terry
Bled the air out of the pump and bingo, problem solved. Thank you so much for everybody’s input. I am so chuffed, no need for another cold shower.!!!

Badly designed boiler, pump on the top. They added an auto air vent by the pump later.

It's a common problem, even de pressurising the boiler to check the expansion vessel charge can cause it.

Reply to W/B Greenstar Heatslave 25/32 (installed 2009) in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock