Search the forum,

Discuss Visible scorching on a PCB - anxiety about future risk in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi

I had a plumber around for a F28 error on my Valliant ecotec today. He said that as well as there being a faulty valve that needs replacing, the PCB is scorched with an electrical burning smell. He wants to replace both parts which sounds fair enough though super expensive. My question is this. I suffer from quite serious anxiety and it really concerns me that there has been burning in my boiler. Is this something that happens frequently? Could this not cause my whole flat to burn down? I am worried about this even with a replacement PCB because he said it had happened a few times from the look of it so have there been mini risky situations putting me and my loved ones at risk?

Thank you for any help.

I’ve never had a pcb on fire so your ok

And these days with electrics as they are it would trip off if anything went that bad

PCB`s often are black in places however claiming it to have a electrical burning smell is a dodgy claim to make, how well do you know this guy?

Changed a lot of Vaillant PCBs (well over 40), only ones that have got wet have made a crackling and a small bang, none have had scorching/burning smell.

The PCBs and components used by reputable manufacturers are fire-retardant so the risk of fire is insignificant.

It's not uncommon for faults in PCBs to result in scorching associated with arcing, particularly if the conductor is supplying an inductive load.

I have changed a few in my time on valliants often there has been a scorching on the board , the last one I did the gas valve needed changing aswell , the digital display on the boiler was erratic and would eventually lead to the boiler going to a f fault , if your GSI is charging you more than £500 then I would advise you go with a one off repair with valliant they offer a repair service and are often cheaper than us because they have access to the full range of spares at cost. Kop

You may need the lead as well. I'm assuming its gas valve has gone and taken pcb out?

Dont get vaillant out use your local gas engineer. Vaillant massively overcharge on their parts and now offer a fixed price repair use your local engineer or lose them.

Reply to Visible scorching on a PCB - anxiety about future risk in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Have a Valliant Ecotec Plus 637 system boiler that is showing no error codes and S.0 (no demand for heat), but it is not heating. Have checked that it is receiving switched 240V heat demand from controller into PCB, so believe it's just a boiler issue. Boiler was working fine up until...
Replies
Views
Had our gas Baxi Combi inspected and serviced today, as it has been every year. Gas safety cert issued and says all okay, but engineer gave what I think was very... ambiguous... advice. 12yo boiler with the following readings on the analyser printout: O2% = 4.1 CO ppm = 192 CO2% = 9.5 Ratio =...
Replies
Views
About 10 months I started having issues with a gas like smell in my home and the gas board was unable to find any gas leak I've still got the issue. When I first made contacted enviromental health I was told the following Could be my drains and to have my drains checked. Could be the sewers...
Replies
Views
Hi All, In Dec 2023 I had my annual boiler service and asked the plumber to change 2 radiator valves as the radiator in the toilet downstairs was not working. He changed both valves and still the radiator was not working. He put some chemicals in and said it should break up anything that is...
Replies
Views
We have just had our second Mira shower tray 1700 x 900 fitted the last one cracked and my replaced. my husband was having a shower today. He heard a very loud crack and felt it nothing visible. It’s similar to when you would have been walking on a ice like when you hear a crack, and it makes...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock