Search the forum,

Discuss Viessmann Vitodens 222-F: short cycling on hot water call in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

I have a Viessmann Vitodens 222-F FS2B 26kW Storage Gas Boiler installed in 2014.

The boiler has developed a problem recently where it short cycles but only when hot water is used.

When hot water is turned on (on any tap in the property) the boiler remains off for about 45 sec. At the beginning the water temp from the tap is very close to the set cylinder temperature of 50C. In about 45 sec the boiler fires up and runs up to 75C, turns off, goes down to 65C, turns on, runs up to 75C and so on. At the same time water temperature from the tap gradually goes down from 50C to about 35C over the course of 5mins (I haven't tested whether it goes further down after that). When the tap is closed the boiler continues the same short cycling pattern for 5-10 mins before going back to steady state where it runs continuously at the same lower temp. The boiler has two pumps - presumably separate pumps for CE and DHW.

What I've tested:

1) With hot water tap opened and the boiler firing I measured the difference between the temp of cold water inlet pipe and DHW outlet pipe and it was around 25C (hot water outlet at 36C and cold at 9C). I was hoping that this test will determine whether plate heat exchanger is free of any blockages. I believe delta T across incoming cold and outgoing hot terminals of the plat of 35C or more suggests the plate heat exchanger is not blocked, but I'm not an expert. In my case it is less than 30C so the result is not conclusive.

2) The secondary pump serving the cylinder seems to be fine - i.e. it has not seized or anything but I can't attest to how effective it is.

I'd appreciate any thoughts/pointers at potential culprits and ways to diagnose.

Thank you

Lower the HW cylinder temp and see if the same thing keeps happening.
Well, that's funny. I lowered the cylinder temp from 55 to 40C. The boiler kicked in, slowly climbed up to 69C and ran perfectly fine without any short cycling. But the most interesting thing is that I measured the tap water temp and it was 49-50C and stayed at that level... I'm not sure what to make of it

Well, that's funny. I lowered the cylinder temp from 55 to 40C. The boiler kicked in, slowly climbed up to 69C and ran perfectly fine without any short cycling. But the most interesting thing is that I measured the tap water temp and it was 49-50C and stayed at that level... I'm not sure what to make of it
It is possible of course that the reason why water temp was higher than the cylinder temp because the tap was still drawing from the cylinder and if I left it on for a bit longer it'd go down to 40C. So it may not be a significant observation but what is pretty interesting that there is no short cycling when the cylinder is at 40C.

I assume you're talking about flow temp which will naturally be higher than set water temp as it heats the store but now with a lower temp set at 40 it's heating the water to 50 deg C.

Time to get someone in, could be a sensor issue.

Reply to Viessmann Vitodens 222-F: short cycling on hot water call in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock