Search the forum,

Discuss Viessmann rubber hoses problem in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Are the rubber hoses known to fail on the 2016-2019 Viessmann Vitodens 100W?
I've been dealing with circulation issues inside the boiler and I've found some anecdotal reports online of "crunchy hose syndrome" aka black granules or flakes.
Some photos of the issue from several youtube vids showing the issue.

Viessmann auth service tech wants to replace the entire heat exchanger on a 5 year old boiler due to 'limescale' and restricted flow.... Shady. I don't have rads, only underfloor heating. The rubber hose in the back is annoying to replace as the whole heat exchange has to be removed on the 100W. I found out about this on my own as three heating service companies already have looked at the boiler and didn't even mention this as a possibility despite having found flakes in the heating water and in the plate heat exchanger.

Any suggestion of the best method to get rid of these?

• drain entire heating system and boiler
  • change hoses
  • flush boiler and UFH loops with mains water
  • maybe install a filter on the return to catch other remaining flakes still circulating - don't think they are magnetic - simple Y filter or a Fernox TF1 Omega?
  • add inhibitor

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-10 at 16.58.20.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-10 at 16.58.20.png
    359.1 KB · Views: 8
  • Screen Shot 2021-12-10 at 16.57.54.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-10 at 16.57.54.png
    592.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Screen Shot 2021-12-10 at 16.56.20.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-10 at 16.56.20.png
    85.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Screen Shot 2021-12-10 at 16.56.03.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-10 at 16.56.03.png
    118.1 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Yes normally change them on a yearly service

Don’t crunch them in the boiler

Yes as it restricts the flow out of the main hex

Thanks for the help gents!

The service guys ran a pressure pump with some chemical connected to the flow and the return on the boiler only but never replaced the hoses. I guess that wouldn't be enough to completely get rid of these flakes from the hoses and an actual replacement is needed? It almost feels like that made the boiler run worse...

Do you reckon we need to power-flush the floor heating pipes to get these flakes out if they made their way or would they be just free floating around and mains tap pressure would be enough to get them out?

Last edited:
Nope need to replace the hoses

Reply to Viessmann rubber hoses problem in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock