Search the forum,

Discuss Viessman Vitodesn 100 banging in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi guys,

I have a Viessman Vitodens 100 heat only open vent boiler that was fitted around 4 years ago.

It has been serviced when required and overall runs great and very efficient.

However, at the end of last year we had an extension built and the flue had to be extended around 2 meters, rather than straight out as it was originally.

Problem is, every time it fires up, we get a massive "thump" or banging on start up.

After having the original installer back, and one other several times, no one seems to know what is causing it, and have now basically washed their hands of it.

One seemed to suggest it was because of delayed ignition but didnt know what he could do about it.

Does anyone have any pointers or suggestions?

Thanks everyone

:)

We have to be careful on gas advise given out , if this did the banging from the VERY first time the boiler fired it obviously sounds like its the flue , if it started a while after it could be a couple of things .

We have to be careful on gas advise given out , if this did the banging from the VERY first time the boiler fired it obviously sounds like its the flue , if it started a while after it could be a couple of things .

Hi, yes totally understand about the gas thing, and i am not expecting anyone to give any advice on that aspect.

It was more fact finding really, as to why it does this, as two people couldn't find the problem and didn't really want to help.

And it is, 99% of the time when it fires up, and has only started happening since the flue was fitted.

Hi, yes totally understand about the gas thing, and i am not expecting anyone to give any advice on that aspect.

It was more fact finding really, as to why it does this, as two people couldn't find the problem and didn't really want to help.

And it is, 99% of the time when it fires up, and has only started happening since the flue was fitted.

Post a few pics of the flue, where its route is , where it terminates etc

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the late reply!

Pictures of flue

Originally it went straight out the back to the outside, but we had an extension built there so the gas engineer re directed it to the front of the building.

Attachments

• IMG_0517.jpg
    IMG_0517.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0516.jpg
    IMG_0516.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 8
Hi Guys,

Pictures of flue

Originally it went straight out the back to the outside, but we had an extension built there so the gas engineer re directed it to the front of the building.

Cheers , does the flue terminate againt anything , wall , tree etc.
Did the engineer leave you with the analyser results when he fitted the extension .
Just on another note , do not panel the flue “ in “ without providing hatches which are used to check the flue during a service .

Cheers , does the flue terminate againt anything , wall , tree etc.
Did the engineer leave you with the analyser results when he fitted the extension .
Just on another note , do not panel the flue “ in “ without providing hatches which are used to check the flue during a service .

The flue terminates up the wall on the right to the outside air.

I have just looked through the folder and it appears he didn't leave a copy of any test results. If i manage to get them from him, i'll post up a picture.

And yes, the flue boxing will be completely removable, but that won't be done until the kitchen is redone in the next couple of years or so!

It is a weird one this , it may just be a coincidence but theres a couple of parts I would change in the boiler , just to rule them out , but deep down you have to say its something to do with the flue .
If you ever get to the bottom of it please post back on here .

Hi Guys,

Pictures of flue

Your engineer needs to speak to Viessmann technical, looking at the pics and the flue length it should be a quick fix.

Hi again.

I have been digging around on the internet (as you do), and as you guys have said, it may not always be that straight forward, but it may be to do with the gas/air ratios due to the new flue length, or worse case a new gas valve.

Thing is, the severity of the banging is variable and in some instances does not happen at all.

The engineer is coming on Monday, but, as with his previous efforts, will probably say it's normal!

Reply to Viessman Vitodesn 100 banging in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock