Search the forum,

Discuss Viesmann Vitedans 100-W 35kw Boiler : Central Heating not working in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

New Boiler - Viesmann Vitedans 100-W 35kw Boiler
Problem - Central Heating not working

Central Heating is controlled by HIVE.
Boiler was installed couple of months back. New radiators were installed as well. We never swiched on central heating until yesterday night.

In the last 24 hours I have managed to do all I could (ofcourse without opening the boiler as it will void warranty) like bleeding radiators, restarting boiler, restarting again, turning on and off the heating multiple times on hive, etc.
As soon as I set the temperature on HIVE, green lights turn up on the HIVE and boilers starts (from silent to working sound). But central heating doesnt work. Fire (burn logo) doesn't turn on the display screen as well. Burn logo turns on for a minute and then disappears.

Hot water from taps are all working fine without any issues. It is just the central heating that is not working.
Any suggestions on what could be the issue. It is getting colder and colder and need the central heating up and running ASAP.

Thanks

The valves are open under the boiler ?

The valves are open under the boiler ?
Sorry, Which valves are we speaking about ? Please excuse me if that was a silly question, I am not a gas enginner / boiler installer.

Here is a photograph for your reference on how it looks at the bottom of the boiler. As far as I know,2 values which control water pressure are closed. I believe the yellow is in the same position as it was before. No one touched that since installation.
Few times I got this error message and it disappeared itself on its own in 5-10 minutes - "Temperature limiter has responded"

Screenshot_20221030-201554_Video Player9.jpg

Last edited:
No photograph attached. It’s the valves under the boiler. Did your installer not test the heating before leaving? Can you post photos of the underneath and the front of boiler? Did your installer fit the hive?

No photograph attached. It’s the valves under the boiler. Did your installer not test the heating before leaving? Can you post photos of the underneath and the front of boiler? Did your installer fit the hive?
Apologies, Please check now... I have expanded my response and attached an image as well.
Yes. The installer fitted the HIVE. It was the old HIVE from my previous boiler which was supply / fitted by British gas. It was working well and I didn't change it. So used the same HIVE.

Not the easiest to tell if they’re both open. Have you contacted your installer yet?

Not the easiest to tell if they’re both open. Have you contacted your installer yet?
Yes. I did and they needed time. First they said, it is likely to be an issue with HIVE. But the system has also showed the error "Temperature limiter has responded". Reported back to the installer. They have said they need some time to discuss next steps.
They advised to reset the boiler which i tried and i was unable to reset the boiler. So discussed with them and just restarted the boiler.

If the system temperature limiter has responded it won’t be the Hive. Could be airlocked - but you said you’ve vented rads, could be the return or another valve is closed preventing circulation et al.

If the system temperature limiter has responded it won’t be the Hive. Could be airlocked - but you said you’ve vented rads, could be the return or another valve is closed preventing circulation et al.
Yes, I have "bleed" all the radiators multiple times. My understanding is that water is circulating the hot water system but just cold. May be you are right, another value is closed. Not sure how to check which valve is closed and which is open.

Tried to reset HIVE(supplied by British gas probably 4-5 years back) a while ago. It is just flashing AMBER and turning full AMBER now. Thermostat is now unable to connect to this device. Another problem for me 😞

Regards

Not a boiler expert, but really do get the impression from what I've read on this thread that water isn't circulating round the system for some reason. First firing of the autumn is often a difficult time for a heating system that has sat unused all summer, so worse still if it was commissioned in the summer and never been properly used at all.

Not a boiler expert, but really do get the impression from what I've read on this thread that water isn't circulating round the system for some reason. First firing of the autumn is often a difficult time for a heating system that has sat unused all summer, so worse still if it was commissioned in the summer and never been properly used at all.
We had a 20 year boiler working without any issues for years without worrying about sitting idle in summer and working good during autumn/winter.

We had a 20 year boiler working without any issues for years without worrying about sitting idle in summer and working good during autumn/winter.
Mine is 35 years old and the system doesn't seem to have had autumn starting problems over the years either, so join the club. But statistically, heating installers seem to have more breakdowns to attend to when the heating season starts than at other times of year (if we exclude frozen uninsulated external condensate pipe freezing cases: these happen at the start of the coldest time of winter).

Think I haven't made my point very well. Let's try again. You have a new boiler. The system has been drained and filled, to some extent at least. You'd hope it was properly tested and heated through when first installed, but possibly not. Even if it was, there may still have been some small air bubbles in the system which might have found a high point to collect together in, which they might not have done had the system been used regularly nearer installation.

Also, I have a hunch that if the water quality is not as good as it should be following installation, any slight corrosion of internal parts or gumming of rubber on valves etc is likely to happen when the system has just been filled. If the system is active at that time, things are much less likely to seize than if they are sitting idle for a few months and the damage is spread over the system which minimalises localised effects.

To me, 'temperature limiter has responded' suggests a circulation issue. Hence my earlier comment (should I have said so in the first place).

"Fire (burn logo) doesn't turn on the display screen as well. Burn logo turns on for a minute and then disappears." Do you mean it comes on for a minute, or it doesn't come on at all? Are we talking about the same display and the same logo or are we talking about several different things?

What flushing of the new system did the installer carry out after fitting a new boiler and radiators?

Reply to Viesmann Vitedans 100-W 35kw Boiler : Central Heating not working in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock