Search the forum,

Discuss Victorian Tap head removal in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Does anyone have any ideas how to get to the seat washer on this tap that is leaking badly at the spout. I'm assuming the gland part unscrews from the spout but I've tried this with condserable force but with no luck. I'm assuming the spindle is secured in and does not pull out.

Any guidance would be much appreciated, thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0449.JPG
    IMG_0449.JPG
    342.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0448.JPG
    IMG_0448.JPG
    428 KB · Views: 14
Try GENTLY warming the body and the innards should unscrew using the flats. Hold the body so it doesn't turn. I normally wrap something around it so as not to mark it.
You're going anti-clockwise as you look down on it.

Your gland packing 'nut' has already been removed entirely, hence the serious leak. The spindle will come out if you get the valve body off (as Last Plumber has suggested) as the spindle will remove from the bottom end. Tip: a decent ring spanner (Whitworth/BSF) may be handy here, as well as careful use of a flame). But if you can't find a replacement gland packing nut, you may as well give up on that tap.

Wrap a cloth over the spout and lie the tap down on a hard floor surface (might dent wood if it’s tight) - lie it with the spindle to the right.
Use a tight fitting ring spanner and push this towards the floor - if necessary extend the spanner length with a pipe or by hooking another ring spanner over the open jaw end of the one you are using (easier to use a steel pipe).

Thanks guys for your advice - appreciated. Bought a 14" stillson wrench, held the spout firm and it shifted. Had the packing nut to hand, so all fixed

Attachments

• IMG_0451.JPG
    IMG_0451.JPG
    470.9 KB · Views: 4

Reply to Victorian Tap head removal in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock