Search the forum,

Discuss vibrating cylinder reducing valve 'standard practice'? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

M

marshall

Hello,
I have a new unvented system with a horizontal 210L Joule hot water cylinder.
The cylinder has been vibrating badly which you can hear throughout the upstairs (it's in the loft).

The manufacturers have stated that there is too much flow going into the cylinder, and that the gas engineer should've fitted a reducing valve/full bore adjustable isolator on the primary return.
The manufacturer has said this is 'standard practice'. However the 2 gas engineers I work with have said it isn't.
The manufacturers have stated the flow rate should be 15l/min.

None of this information is in the installation manual, so I am unclear on who is at fault. Is it standard practice and should the engineer have fitted it in the first place ? - or have the manufacturers sold a product that doesn't work without something 'extra' that they haven't included and haven't mentioned in their instructions?

I am also unclear if the cylinder is safe to use currently as it is vibrating so much, so I have turned off the hot water and moved to my mums while we try and sort it out!

(for background we know this is the issue, when some of the water is manually diverted into the heating system ie reducing the hot water flow into the cylinder, the vibrating stops)

Your joule unvented cylinder should have a combination valve installed ? this reduces the pressure of the incoming supply to 3 bar , has a check valve , pressure relief valve and filter all in one block these are preset but can be adjusted to give less flowrate a full bore lever valve is fitted before this for isolation and maintenance. Kop

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221209-195928.png
    Screenshot_20221209-195928.png
    200.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Your joule unvented cylinder should have a combination valve installed ? this reduces the pressure of the incoming supply to 3 bar , has a check valve , pressure relief valve and filter all in one block these are preset but can be adjusted to give less flowrate a full bore lever valve is fitted before this for isolation and maintenance. Kop
I think that the OP is talking about the flow into and return from the heat exchanger coil inside the cylinder.

Perhaps the OP can give us some details of the make / model of the boiler, pump and any relevant settings (e.g. pump mode and speed, flow temperature, hot water cylinder zone thermostat?

The Joule installation manual does specify 15 l/min circulation around the primary loop, on page 29:

although it rather unhelpfully doesn't specify a range or tolerance.

Yes very common it’s due to not many supports holding the coil internally normally just a piece of wire holding it and the flow of the water going round the coil

I think that the OP is talking about the flow into and return from the heat exchanger coil inside the cylinder.

Perhaps the OP can give us some details of the make / model of the boiler, pump and any relevant settings (e.g. pump mode and speed, flow temperature, hot water cylinder zone thermostat?

The Joule installation manual does specify 15 l/min circulation around the primary loop, on page 29:

although it rather unhelpfully doesn't specify a range or tolerance.
I stand corrected I misunderstood the ops situation, a regulating valve on the primary return adjusted to slow the flow though the heating coil should rectify the problem.

Thank you for all your comments.
The technical team at Joule have said to fit a gate valve on the primary return, I've had a look and other manufacturers like Gledhill actually show this in their manuals for their horizontal cylinder. Joule have told me they used to show this in their manual but for some reason have taken it out on the updated version.

Thank you!

I think kop has the answer above.
I think you should pay the plumber to supply and fit this and then move on with your quieter life. If they had known to fit it they would have quoted a higher price to include it, and many times it would not be necessary so would not be included as a matter of course- I have never had to fit one for instance, but I don’t use Joule except for electric only.

Reply to vibrating cylinder reducing valve 'standard practice'? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock