Search the forum,

Discuss Very strong sulphuric (rotten egg) smell coming from underneath sink and under wall in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
X

xn43

Hi there,

I'm in a one bedroom flat, and for the past month or two there has been a very strong smell similar to rotten eggs/sulphur. The smell usually occurs one or two times a day and it is very strong for about 5-10 minutes and then it fades away again. It doesn't coincide with anything, that I know of, such as washing dishes, showering or even rainy weather. The main source appears to be the sink, however I also smell it where the wall meets the floor at the back of the property (only in the living room, where there is a tiny gap between the wall lining and floor), although it's a fair bit weaker than the sink. It's a ground floor flat within a very small block and there is no building directly connected to the back. The landlord has been round a couple of times with his handyman and has confirmed that there are no blockages in either the sewage pipes at the back or in the sink pipes.

I am really struggling to determine the cause of this, so I would really appreciate any help.

Thanks very much

Re: Very strong sulphuric (rotten egg) smell coming from underneath sink and under wa

sounds like washing machine if theres one near there or discharges there?

cant rule out gas or p.o.c's over discription though!

Re: Very strong sulphuric (rotten egg) smell coming from underneath sink and under wa

Why not try filling the sink adding a bit of bleach and letting it trickle down the sink overflow. Also give the washing machine a quick cycle with just a calgon tablet or a bit of bleach.

Thanks Redsaw and thompsonbrown for your replies. Yeah, the washing machine is directly next to the sink, so will give what you suggested a go thompsonbrown.

Cheers

Ask your landlord if the handyman has put "Oneshot" into the drains. Its sulphuric acid used to clear wastes in reality it creates more problems (least of which is the smell) than it solves.

This may not coincide with your own use of the waste pipe system but if you are in a flat you may be getting a smell from the drain when one of your neighbours has a shower or discharges a bath, washbasin etc, especially if hot water. Do you know if there are any air inlets on your system? They are meant to admit fresh air to the drain and not allow foul air out, but sometimes they get damaged in the course of building or joinery work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Very strong sulphuric (rotten egg) smell coming from underneath sink and under wall in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock