Search the forum,

Discuss Vertical radiator issues in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi
Just installed a vertical rad from plumbworld with a bi directional TRV which was installed on the return. The Trv seems to not do much so I queried it with plumbworld. They stated the Trv must be on the inlet side regardless of it being bidirectional. Is this correct? What was the point of them selling me a bidirectional Trv.

A lot of the vertical rads are flow specific I've even seen them fitted up side down.
If your sure everything else is correct try swapping valve over.

A lot of the vertical rads are flow specific I've even seen them fitted up side down.
If your sure everything else is correct try swapping valve over.
Thanx. I will. Not much else to go wrong as flow and top are marked.
Just thought if was so specific then a large company like plumbworld would have advised either on description or instructions. Save me from draining the whole system as the valves won’t allow me to isolate this rad and buying more inhibitor !!!!

Does the rad heat ?

Does the rad heat ?
Yes it heats but issue seems that the Trv is doing bigger all.

With lock shield completed open the room will get to 20 degrees faster than any other room regardless of the Trv being in 1 or 5. Shouldn’t even be allowing water flow when Trv is at 1 since the room is already at 19.

With it balanced and the lock shield at a half a turn the first two bars are fully on along with the top half of the othe 4 bars. Again regardless of the Trv at 1 or 5. But the boiler clicks on for about 25 minutes at a time. If I leave boiler on long enough it will evenly heat up.

The problem seems to be that the Trv is not restricting flow even at mark 1 and room at 19 degrees

Crap trv any pictures of it ?

Crap trv any pictures of it ?
Well that’s what thought or it’s faulty but plumbworld are saying it should be on inlet side even though it’s bi directional. They asking me to swap it over and all will be fine. Hmmm

Attachments

• D521FF27-58A8-42D3-A7DA-228512EA1231.png
    D521FF27-58A8-42D3-A7DA-228512EA1231.png
    588 KB · Views: 13
Never heard of the manufacturer looks like a cheap Drayton 4

Seems to be exclusive to plumbworld.

Any idea why I can’t isolate this rad to drain it. When I try it seems to be draining the whole system. Could it be because ithe Trv supposedly on the wrong side?

Trv not shutting all the way

Lockshield off

Trv off not on star you should be able to drain just the rad

Would explain why the trv does nothing if it’s still flowing through when supposedly shut / off

Seems to be exclusive to plumbworld.

Any idea why I can’t isolate this rad to drain it. When I try it seems to be draining the whole system. Could it be because it’s supposedly on the wrong side

Lockshield off

Would explain why the trv does nothing if it’s still flowing through when supposedly shut / off
Trv only goes to star. There is no 0. Plumbworld advised that star is the off position
But when at star the rad does shut down completely

Lockshield off

Trv only goes to star. There is no 0. Plumbworld advised that star is the off position
But when at star the rad does shut down completely

Even if that was uni directional it would be installed correctly when horizontal, all my TRVs are installed this way, a few old ones are uni directional and working perfectly.
Can you push the pin in/out ~ 5mm with the handle of a reversed hammer or like with actuator head removed, also ensure the actuator is wound fully out, anti clockwise to index 5 or whatever is max before re installing it.

Even if that was uni directional it would be installed correctly when horizontal, all my TRVs are installed this way, a few old ones are uni directional and working perfectly.
Can you push the pin in/out ~ 5mm with the handle of a reversed hammer or like with actuator head removed, also ensure the actuator is wound fully out, anti clockwise to index 5 or whatever is max before re installing it.
Thanx. Will try. It’s not horizontal. It’s angled and coming out of the wall.

Lockshield off

Just been advised it’s not a fault. This Trv only goes to frost protection. There’s no off position. Would need a decorators cap for removal.

So it will never shut as the pin won’t go any lower than the frost so always open

Even if it only goes to its frost setting it should be well shut since the room temp will be well above the frost setting?.
Yes it’s well shut on frost setting but we were talking about isolating and removing this rad which you can’t do if Trv only goes to frost setting and doesn’t have a zero or off setting and I obviously didn’t know such Trv s existed. I thought they all had an off setting🙈🙈

Why do you want to remove the rad?, isn't it the TRV that's the problem?.
If the TRV is shutting off on the frost setting, it doesn't matter whether it has a zero setting or not if you want to remove the rad, as long as you don't remove the actuator.

Why do you want to remove the rad?, isn't it the TRV that's the problem?.
If the TRV is shutting off on the frost setting, it doesn't matter whether it has a zero setting or not if you want to remove the rad, as long as you don't remove the actuator.
Sorry. I didn’t mean remove rad but change the Trv to the inlet side

Yes it’s well shut on frost setting but we were talking about isolating and removing this rad which you can’t do if Trv only goes to frost setting and doesn’t have a zero or off setting and I obviously didn’t know such Trv s existed. I thought they all had an off setting🙈🙈
You mean its shut but passing?, doesn't matter anyway as you can't remove the TRV without draining down the system, I have changed out ~ 4 over the past 12 years or so and allways had to drain down.

You mean its shut but passing?, doesn't matter anyway as you can't remove the TRV without draining down the system, I have changed out ~ 4 over the past 12 years or so and allways had to drain down.
Yes I know I need drain the whole system.
Just a bit of confusion because of two conversations….. sorry…..a bit too much vino😳I asked Shauncorbs earlier why I couldn’t isolate and drain this rad as I had tried earlier and failed. ..

Reply to Vertical radiator issues in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock