Search the forum,

Discuss Vertical Radiator HELP! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Guys I am a newbie and need help please. I have fitted 2 vertical radiators and both are leaking on the thermostat side. I have used loads of PTF tape and I now think I am missing a part.

They are bottom fed vertical rads. Do you guys fit another attachment between the the thermostat and the radiator? A tail of some sort that the thermostat attaches too? I only ask as the thermostat side doesn't feel tight even with 30 wraps of tape. And when I looked at another (done by a professional) there seems to be another connector inbetween the TRV and into the rad.

I have attached a pic of the part I think I need BUT I maybe wrong and bow to your greater knowledge!

If there is a part....kindly tell me what it is ;)

Thanks Mike

15561303645585421662714408680322.jpg

Are you wrapping the ptfe the same direction as the threads or against it? The latter will unravel the ptfe as your threading it in

Are you saying the part your pointing to in the pic is missing?

Are you wrapping the ptfe the same direction as the threads or against it? The latter will unravel the ptfe as your threading it in

Are you saying the part your pointing to in the pic is missing?
Yes you can barely see it on this radiator but I wondered if I am missing something. From the new comments I will try this Locktite

You need the rad tail you are pointing too into the radiator first.

Sounds like you've screwed the valve body straight into the radiator.

Smear of paste with ptfe tape helps make a better joint.
Ordinary Boss White superb for rad tails or any sealed thread joints on heating systems

You need the rad tail you are pointing too into the radiator first.

Sounds like you've screwed the valve body straight into the radiator.
That's what I thought by reading his post too. I'm unsure whether the pic is his radiator or one to show the bit he thinks he's missing

That's what I thought by reading his post too. I'm unsure whether the pic is his radiator or one to show the bit he thinks he's missing
Yes this is another radiator. It's difficult to describe if you don't know the part names. Mine is bottom fed and I have put the thermostat valve straight into the rad.

Thanks for your help everyone. I have attached two items can you tell me if either is what I need please. And as I have put the thermostat valve and the other valve straight into the rad, do I need the items attached on both sides of the rad? Currently only one side is leaking but it's the same side (thermostat) on both sides. The none thermostat valve seemed to be a really tight fit.
Thanks

Screenshot_20190425-054344_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20190425-054427_Chrome.jpg

Thank you, these are the ones I used as the pipe goes straight up into the rad and not at the side. What's in the picture is what I used, if there is a tail or something else, please do say and I will get it bought

The tail is the threaded part on the right hand side
I think you are confusing everybody including yourself with these pictures and descriptions

Wow. My intention in not to confuse. I just used that exact thermostat straight into the radiator and it doesn't tighten up fully and leaks. I don't know how else to describe it. I was asking if I am missing a part, if I am not then I have a different problem.

Wow. My intention in not to confuse. I just used that exact thermostat straight into the radiator and it doesn't tighten up fully and leaks. I don't know how else to describe it. I was asking if I am missing a part, if I am not then I have a different problem.
If you have all the bits in the picture, nothing is missing
Can you post a picture of what you have done?

Mike.
The TRV comes in parts. Three to be exact:
  1. the head (bit you adjust)
  2. Body (bit the head sits on)
  3. Tail (part the body connects to)
You seem to be missing the tail. That gets screwed into the radiator (using ten wraps of tape or loctite 55) and is done up tight. The body then connects to the tail. That uses NO tape as it relies upon the compression of the olive.

If you are missing pt 3 then go back and get one or buy a new valve and check all bits are included. Frankly with the messing about I'd just buy another then you'll have a spare head.
Have fun!

I want to say a massive thanks to everyone on here and I am replying to help others. Not promoting any brand but I bought 'liquid PTF' from screwfix for about 6 quid, turned the rad off for 24 hours, it says 3 on the bottle and it cured both leaks. I wasn't missing any parts but as a newbie, I used PTF tape on vertical rads with bottoms feeds and as the more knowledgable guys on here said, that was the problem. Good luck to you all and thanks again

Reply to Vertical Radiator HELP! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock