Search the forum,

Discuss ventilating chimney space around insulated liner in the Oil and Solid Fuel Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Morning,
I'm planning chimney maintenance work in July. Its a stone chimney, cement rendered above the roofline with wood burner and stainless lined flue installed 8/9 years ago. There is no ventilation of the space in the chimney around the liner. Is there any reason why I shouldn't put a small vent just below the flaunching - sloped pipe to allow space to breath and help remove moisture. Presumably no matter how well flaunching is done there will always be some moisture getting in.

Previous owners of our cottage had a HETAS registered company put a flue liner in the large period chimney for a woodburner. They put an air brick in the side of the chimney above the roof line at the time. I assumed that was standard practice - as you say, it's preferable for the void between the liner and chimney to be ventilated.

It might be filled with vermiculite hence no need for an air brick

....or remove a chimney brick or two in the loft space and back fill it with vermiculite if there isn't.

Two birds and that...

Reply to ventilating chimney space around insulated liner in the Oil and Solid Fuel Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock