Search the forum,

Discuss Vented system to Combi in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

I’d still be dubious, have they mentioned gas pipe sizing? I’m sorry it’s way too cheap. Are they all gas safe??

You’re asking for professional opinion we are giving you professional opinion it’s way too cheap to be a quality job

I’d still be dubious, have they mentioned gas pipe sizing? I’m sorry it’s way too cheap. Are they all gas safe??
Yes. As said gas is 22mm. Why would you think I should pay a plumber more than £450 for a day? Boiler is going in the same place as original and they need to do some alterations in the airing cupboard. Or are you all the 1k a day plumbers/brain surgeons.

Given your initial question, and the very cheap quotes, I'm starting to suspect you may be doing alot of the work yourself.

Yes. As said gas is 22mm. Why would you think I should pay a plumber more than £450 for a day? Boiler is going in the same place as original and they need to do some alterations in the airing cupboard. Or are you all the 1k a day plumbers/brain surgeons.

So it’s one guy on his own?
What about other materials copper, controls etc?

We're not trying to wind you up, but a combi conversion, (a proper one) isn't a days work. And anyone quoting £1500 for a boiler install is either in desperate need of the work or they're not registering/declaring the work.

We're not trying to wind you up, but a combi conversion, (a proper one) isn't a days work. And anyone quoting £1500 for a boiler install is either in desperate need of the work or they're not registering/declaring the work.
I’m sure you feel you are correct, but I don’t know why you would know more than 3 plumbers that have been in my property and seen it with their own eyes and come highly recommended.

What could possibly take longer than a day? Boiler goes in cupboard, gas already there, condense pipe straight through wall, hot and cold already there. Flow return already there. Airing cupboard, do the adjustments that I don’t know what is done because everyone wants to be a know it all instead of answering my initial question except for the helpful response from Scott.

Again, you must be the 1k brain surgeon?

How big is the heating system ?
The residual head on the pumps in the large combi's often results in circulation problems.

I can almost guarantee you will regret installing a combi to do 2 bathrooms & if you don't replace the existing 22mm hot water pipe work with 15mm it will take so long to arrive the wife will not be happy.

And not so much of the brain surgeons - £1k remarks if you please. I might not be a surgeon but my skill set means I don't need to be chasing the kind of money you seem to think we are worth!

I’m sure you feel you are correct, but I don’t know why you would know more than 3 plumbers that have been in my property and seen it with their own eyes and come highly recommended.

What could possibly take longer than a day? Boiler goes in cupboard, gas already there, condense pipe straight through wall, hot and cold already there. Flow return already there. Airing cupboard, do the adjustments that I don’t know what is done because everyone wants to be a know it all instead of answering my initial question except for the helpful response from Scott.

Again, you must be the 1k brain surgeon?
I wish I was but unfortunately I'm not a £1k a day brain surgeon. And don't take this the wrong way but you seem to be a typical customer who believes everything takes 5 minutes. I'm not saying I know more than the 3 plumbers who have viewed the job, but I don't have to to know that somethings off. I wouldn't entertain a combi swap for £1500 10 years ago, never mind now.

You supplying the hive and associated pipework could knock around £300 off the bill but even considering that, it's still cheap. I'll say again, we're not trying to wind you up but most if not all plumbers on this forum have seen the results of cheap work. Once you've paid them you will likely never see them again and will end up paying again to put the work right.
You didn't actually answer my question earlier though. Have they asked for cash?

I recon the boiler will be damaged from its fall of the back of the lorry it was on. Are all three of those plumbers you've had round doing it as it's only taking one day. Anyway must get back to my patient who needs his brain putting back in.

Last one I did

Worcester 30i so around the same price as the 636

Took 3 days Boiler went in airing cupboard

Materials

Boiler
Flue
Nest
Maggy
Shock arrestor
Filling loop
4 lengths of 22mm
1 length of 15mm
2 lengths of 11/2 waste pipe

Plus odds and sods that you forget

Price was around 2.5k Mark

Last one I did

Worcester 30i so around the same price as the 636

Took 3 days Boiler went in airing cupboard

Materials

Boiler
Flue
Nest
Maggy
Shock arrestor
Filling loop
4 lengths of 22mm
1 length of 15mm
2 lengths of 11/2 waste pipe

Plus odds and sods that you forget

Price was around 2.5k Mark
3 full days or did you have time to squeeze in one craniotomy?:D

I wish I was but unfortunately I'm not a £1k a day brain surgeon. And don't take this the wrong way but you seem to be a typical customer who believes everything takes 5 minutes. I'm not saying I know more than the 3 plumbers who have viewed the job, but I don't have to to know that somethings off. I wouldn't entertain a combi swap for £1500 10 years ago, never mind now.

You supplying the hive and associated pipework could knock around £300 off the bill but even considering that, it's still cheap. I'll say again, we're not trying to wind you up but most if not all plumbers on this forum have seen the results of cheap work. Once you've paid them you will likely never see them again and will end up paying again to put the work right.
You didn't actually answer my question earlier though. Have they asked for cash?

Craig deserves a lot of credit here for providing a courteous and helpful response rather than the ridicule/hostility from some others.

If the op has got three similar quotes from 3 gas safe plumbers it’s the industry that’s at fault here it the customer.

Wise words, quickest way to find a weakness in a system that’s been operating barely above atmospheric pressure for 20 years is to shove 1.5 bar in it.

Yeah and have water Soding through the ceilings from various places due to Rubbish soldering. Seen it before. Always advise a full repipe. Even the hot water pipe too.

I've just done a similar quote. It's for a customer that I have been working for for a couple of years so looking after him. I'm twice that price though and that's far from expensive. Fair play to them if they do a good job. In answer to your original question, is pretty much what you think of you've chosen to not repipe in order to keep the costs down. Depending on floor good they may even be able to link it under the floor. Have you thought about adding a very small radiator in your airing cupboard? It's nice to still have a bit of heat of you intend to still put stuff in there. Good luck, hope it goes better than the price is indicating it will!

Like every single engineer has pointed out already well too cheap. The 1500 is not near a quality job. If somebody asked for double than you are more likely to find somebody with skills, pride and not to forget knowledge. I’m quite sure you will not be happy with that boiler due to the pressure loss when having a 2 showers on in the same time. It seems like you cut more corners than the engineer and I was always under the impression people would like to get things done accordingly. You are far off from 1 days job, I never came across one conversion where it took me 1 day. A combi swap might be possible but a conversion is not possible. It doesn’t not matter how much an experienced engineer earns a day even if it was a 2k ... you are not paying just for the install, you pay for the whole package like knowledge, design of the system, tools, etc...

I do agree with op although I do agree with you professionals, so just to clarify
The job can be done in one day, I’ve done it several times myself, even easier with a boy. The only conversion I wouldn’t tackle in 1 day would be back boiler although I can get the conversion done and working I prefer 2nd day for removal of bb and tidying up, 3 days is a joke and I would question your ability.
£450 for a days work I’d do it no problem without cutting corners and fully registering it, you professionals seem to forget your working in a trade where the hourly rate is £15-£25 per hour, sub-contracting installs can pay £250-£350 with extras for power flushing, valve changing etc there’s plenty good engineers out there who would see this as easy money, then there’s a potential scrap value adding. Some engineers also have access to pipe, fittings and tools from there day to day job, now that doesn’t compromise quality but helps making price cheaper.
I’ve never seen any engineer telling people they will have to fully repipe the hot water as this can be impossible, all conversions can have problems unless fully re-piped
£1050 will buy a cheap cheap combi with those controls, be prepared for it not to last and warranty not held up

you professionals seem to forget your working in a trade where the hourly rate is £15-£25 per hour, sub-contracting installs can pay £250-£350 with extras for power flushing, valve changing etc there’s plenty good engineers out there who would see this as easy money, then there’s a potential scrap value adding. Some engineers also have access to pipe, fittings and tools from there day to day job, now that doesn’t compromise quality but helps making price cheaper.
And in the above statement is everything that is wrong with this industry, that the skills, knowledge, risk & hard work can be valued so poorly.
Dake205 given the off site time to register, order & collect materials, along with overheads & GSafe you see this as value for your skill set?

I do agree with op although I do agree with you professionals, so just to clarify
The job can be done in one day, I’ve done it several times myself, even easier with a boy. The only conversion I wouldn’t tackle in 1 day would be back boiler although I can get the conversion done and working I prefer 2nd day for removal of bb and tidying up, 3 days is a joke and I would question your ability.
£450 for a days work I’d do it no problem without cutting corners and fully registering it, you professionals seem to forget your working in a trade where the hourly rate is £15-£25 per hour, sub-contracting installs can pay £250-£350 with extras for power flushing, valve changing etc there’s plenty good engineers out there who would see this as easy money, then there’s a potential scrap value adding. Some engineers also have access to pipe, fittings and tools from there day to day job, now that doesn’t compromise quality but helps making price cheaper.
I’ve never seen any engineer telling people they will have to fully repipe the hot water as this can be impossible, all conversions can have problems unless fully re-piped
£1050 will buy a cheap cheap combi with those controls, be prepared for it not to last and warranty not held up

so your saying steal from your employer and not all engys are gas safe off company time, also how are they registering them as it goes therough there employer, there going to look dim on there lads if they find out there doing that on the side

The only thing I agree on is risk mate it’s plumbing and connecting on to old is always risk
Hard work is doing it in a day lol
Most boiler manufacturers now register the install with gas safe when you register warranty
Email/phone suppliers and it can be sorted ready for collection or delivered direct to site or in this instance customer has sorted that already
Overheads I’m sure that’s covered at £450 a day
Like I said most companies value your skill set actually lower than £15 an hour but if worth your salt the max is £25 until subcontracting

Yes they are stealing from there employer and yes you can hold more than one gas safety, I had 3 at once

true but if there taking fittings and pipe from there enployer its unlikely theyve got there own gas safe reg

Reply to Vented system to Combi in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock