Search the forum,

Discuss Vented or Unvented Cylinder in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello

Would you recommend a vented or unvented cylinder? I have an indirect vented system at the moment. The flow rate from the upstairs taps is low.

We are having solar thermal installed and thus the cylinder will be changed. We can have a new vented or unvented cylinder installed.

What would you recommend? Will the flow rate improve from an unvented? The house was built in 1985 if that is relevant in terms pipework.

Thanks for your input.

1. Tend to agree with Chuck. However, do remember that if the water is off for any reason, you will have neither hot nor cold until it is restored. With an unvented system you have at least tank fed hot and cold until the cold water storage cistern is exhausted.
2. You need a minimum of 2.0 bar dynamic water pressure (dynamic = pressure measured with a mains fed tap running) and a flow rate of 20 litres per minute (preferably more) to run an unvented cylinder.
3. An unvented cylinder needs a pipe to drain off any water from its pressure relief devices. These are best terminated outside, although inside will do provided the drain pipework can take the potential temperature.

Reply to Vented or Unvented Cylinder in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I'm in my new build 2 years and the shower pump has died. I have an air to water unit downstairs is in the utility which I've been told is unvented and pressurised. The cold water feed into this cylinder is from the attic tank, not the mains as I turned off the mains stopcock to see if hot...
Replies
Views
S
Hi All I had an unvented cylinder fitted about 6 years ago. It only supplies hot water to my shower. I was hoping for a much better flow rate from the shower but it seemed no different from the original combi boiler hot feed. There is (unusually) a lever that lets me select the combi or the...
Replies
Views
Steveo111
S
Hi all, looking for some recommendations for a slimline indirect unvented cylinder to go with a new system boiler that we're having installed soon. Only need around 120/125 ltr for our usage and could possibly make do with 100. Been looking at a few different brands including the Megaflo which...
Replies
Views
    • Funny
Hi guys, I have a question regarding converting an open vent system (copper cylinder) to pressurized, reason being not enough drop from the loft to power a shower, while i know the common advice is to buy a special unvented cylinder I can see no reason why an unvented copper cylinder cannot be...
Replies
Views
What would be the heating time for this (indirect) vented cylinder? Rated coil = 14kw Is it 96 litres x 4.2 specific weight x 40 (dT) ? How do I calculate the heating requirement of the boiler to heat this cylinder. Secondly, they are simpler to install as opposed to unvented type but what are...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock