Search the forum,

Discuss Vent pipe size for vented cylinder installed in 2005-6 in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hey, having searched this forum and last building regs (2000) from around that time...

Any idea what the correct size is for a vent pipe for a vented hot water cylinder, gravity fed? I.e. the one that is continuously rising back up to the cold water feed tank for the cylinder?

Have discovered it's 15mm, but can only find reference to 22mm but this is in building regs 2010 onwards.

22mm

Ok, thanks. Have figured it out..... Whole dhw output seems to be combined with the vent pipe... Ie this tees off at the top of the supply and does so in 15mm.

Is it "normal" to have a combined flow and vent?

Setup is dhw cylinder at lowest level. Feed tank in attic. All outlets between these.

Depends on cylinder location but the vent should be always rising and straight off the distro pipework and should be in 22mm pipe as it’s gravity

In my book it should not be less than 3/4" bore. It should rise from the outlet all the way to the tank/cistern that feeds it.
There should be no valves throughout its length/route. It should rise and fall over the tank (think umbrella handle) enough to prevent water being ejected out of it.

Thanks all... So I guess it's a bit of a stretch, but it's continually rising, but also has the hot water supply pipes off it.

Otherwise apart from it being combined and also that the final stretch is in 15mm it's good enough. But another classic British gas install 🤭🤡

Thanks for your insights, all.

Reply to Vent pipe size for vented cylinder installed in 2005-6 in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi I recently did some pipe insulating in my loft. The only two I didn't do were the vent pipes. Not sure if that is the right term for them? They are the pipes that feed water back into the top of the tanks when there is excess, presumably from steam, expansion, etc. The one going to the cold...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and just some background on myself. I have 4 years experience as a plumber but haven't worked in the trade in 15 years. I would say my overall knowledge is not great as I did most of the 4 years working on rinse and repeat estates of houses. I was also quite young and...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am renovating a small bathroom in an apartment on the 5th floor. Heating is electric, no gas or oil. I have four (related) questions about this below. I had intended to reuse the cold water tank and the cylinder sitting underneath it but my plumber suggested I replace the cylinder as...
Replies
Views
Hi guys question about saniflos đź’© I'm working at a property that the entire place was fed off a sani, that's packed up, blocked the line entirely and they've urgently had to get me to replace and make some changes, initially I was going to install a sanivite for the kitchen sink separately...
Replies
Views
A
Previously had a WB Greenstar R28 HE System boiler with 4 pipes and vented (gravity fed) cylinder. No valves or pumps outside of the boiler. Worked fine for 20 years. Decided to change to Viessmann 050-W System boiler when WB failed but keep the same set up with cylinder. Gas Safe installer I...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock