Search the forum,

Discuss Vanity unit built in sink mixer tap leaking at the swivel. Is it repairable? in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, The mixing tap swivel in my bathroom sink has began to leak. Can anyone tell me if it's repairable or if it needs replaced. I attached a few photos. Is it possible to remove it from the top and add a new seal.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    449.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    378.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    456.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 9
possibly there should be a grub screw behind on the flat probably Allen key you will have to remove it and it should lift out it will be an orange that's either cracked or just worn out

1. If it is only leaking when one or both taps are running, then it will be the seal for the spout.
2. If it leaks with both taps off, then it will be the spout seal and one or both taps.
3. To do anything to it will require the whole tap to be removed. This will require the hot and cold to be isolated, the flexi pipes disconnected and (probably) the central nut underneath undone. Looks like very poor access.
4. If you don't know the make and model, then getting spares won't be easy, unless you are lucky.
5. I'd suggest if you only need the seal for the spout, it might be worth repairing. If you need new cartridges for the taps then probably not worth it.
6. It may be difficult to find a new tap with the exact dimensions to math the holes in your vanity unit. If you can't find one, consider a three hole tap set, but this would almost certainly require the top part of the vanity unit to be repainted.
7. I'm afraid what you have got is a triumph of form over function.

1. If it is only leaking when one or both taps are running, then it will be the seal for the spout.
2. If it leaks with both taps off, then it will be the spout seal and one or both taps.
3. To do anything to it will require the whole tap to be removed. This will require the hot and cold to be isolated, the flexi pipes disconnected and (probably) the central nut underneath undone. Looks like very poor access.
4. If you don't know the make and model, then getting spares won't be easy, unless you are lucky.
5. I'd suggest if you only need the seal for the spout, it might be worth repairing. If you need new cartridges for the taps then probably not worth it.
6. It may be difficult to find a new tap with the exact dimensions to math the holes in your vanity unit. If you can't find one, consider a three hole tap set, but this would almost certainly require the top part of the vanity unit to be repainted.
It leaks worse with a tap on but still leaks to a lesser extent with the taps off.
Yes access is a real bugger. I was hoping it was an easy fix to just pull up the mixer tap followed by a simple o-ring replacement

It leaks worse with a tap on but still leaks to a lesser extent with the taps off.
Yes access is a real bugger. I was hoping it was an easy fix to just pull up the mixer tap followed by a simple o-ring replacement

I thinks its only leaking from the spout swivel when the taps are on. The leaking when the taps are turned off I think is just caused by the remaining pressure. After 10 minutes or so it stops leaking.

There should be a Hex grub screw, probably 2mm or 2.5mm on the back face centre of the spout.
Remove screw, pull spout, measure the sizes of O rings, usually 2 different sizes.
ALDI middle aisle sometimes have selection boxes.

Basin and tap.jpg

It is entirely possible that the spout simply pulls out. I know this is a bad design feature but I have come across it several times.
They are usually pretty stiff.

Just found a picture of one with it's name and a drawing showing what looks like the screw holding the spout in.
Came from a U.S Site but similar tap.

Looks like it's a tap out job, it's within the worktop.

Fresca drawing parts.PNG

Basin mixer name.PNGFresca faucet drawing.PNG

Last edited:
Re above, maybe just loosen the 2 nuts under the tap on the hot and cold to get enough lift up on the body to remove the screw.
Doesn't look like the centre nut under the spout was ever fitted.

Just found a picture of one with it's name and a drawing showing what looks like the screw holding the spout in.
Came from a U.S Site but similar tap.

Looks like it's a tap out job, it's within the worktop.

View attachment 47208

View attachment 47201View attachment 47206

That looks pretty much identical. Thanks very much for your help.
Yes, there doesn't appear to be a nut on the centre spout. It'd be great if it would tap out as the other 2 nuts are near impossible to get at without cutting the sealant and lifting the whole top platform of the unit up. I did try pulling it up pretty violently though yesterday and it didn't move at all.

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 5
Re above, maybe just loosen the 2 nuts under the tap on the hot and cold to get enough lift up on the body to remove the screw.
Doesn't look like the centre nut under the spout was ever fitted.
As you say, going by the second diagram, It definitely looks like the 2 nuts will have to be loosened a fraction to lift the base plate up for access to the grub screw.

Reply to Vanity unit built in sink mixer tap leaking at the swivel. Is it repairable? in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have attached an image of the brass body within a tap. Having replaced a cartridge which has cured a leaking tap, I can see that there is a small leak from the brass body which can be unscrewed. Is there a seal behind the body? Thanks.
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Recently had a Viessmann Vitodens combi boiler installed, quite often when the adjacent cold mixer tap is opened the boiler starts for a few seconds! Can anyone tell me what is causing this? And how to cure?
Replies
Views
I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock