Search the forum,

Discuss Valve fitting orientation... horizontal / vertical ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Dear all, i’ll get this out of the way first... I’m not a plumber, however i’ve done a fair amount albeit a long time ago (in a galaxy far far away), and i’m after a bit of ‘best practice’ advice, apologies if this is perhaps a daft question !
When fitting, for example, a full-bore pegler type valve in a valve on a domestic water system. Does it’s orientation matter?
I read somewhere, (but now can’t find the reference again), that fitting vertically minimises deposits settling over time which might cause the valve from operating correctly.

Putting it in perspective... I’ve a new combi boiler installed (gas safe fitted) in a bathroom in a cupboard where the cylinder used to be. Feeds and returns all vertical on the cupboard back wall, under the boiler. It’s a blank canvas... there’s two temporary tails now capped off which were previously going to bathroom the fixtures. So before hooking up a new shower valve / bath filler on the false cupboard wall, then the loo and pedestal basin, I thought a couple of full bore isolators on the hot and cold feeds might be in order.

Any thoughts on isolation valve orientation feeding that lot, all 15mm btw? I think the bath might take a little while to fil!
Thanks for reading this far...

BobT

Not an issue in a domestic environment, it can be an issue with gate valves in very high temperature industrial systems. I assume that the isolators you are fitting are full bore ball valves anyway.

Not an issue in a domestic environment, it can be an issue with gate valves in very high temperature industrial systems. I assume that the isolators you are fitting are full bore ball valves anyway.
Thanks Brambles for your reply... and good to know. The answer’s ‘yes’, i intend to fit two full bore isolators, so I can work on the rest of the bathroom fixtures.

Would you happen to know if the full bore valves are sensitive to the direction of flow? Since they’re either open or closed I assume not!?
I only ask as i’d noticed an ‘ arrow’ on the body of the reduced bore isolators.

Again thanks for the response, I’ll place the valves where they’re best accessible.

I’ll answer, but expect different views from others!

Use a quality full bore 1/4 turn lever valve(s). Inside the valve there will be a seal or seating material which is quite soft and intended to make them leak resistant. This is only on one side of the valve, hence the direction arrow to ensure that the seal or seating is on the high pressure side when the valve is closed.

In the domestic plumbing environment with a full bore valve I would doubt that this makes any difference (but I am probably wrong).

It certainly makes a difference in an industrial environment when the delta (pressure) across a closed valve is >15 bar. Hence the use of block and bleed valve arrangements.

If you use reducing valves the flow direction can make a difference, particularly in heating systems if the water is carrying magnetite debris - where velocity changes in the fluid can cause debris to be deposited and subsequently build up.

In short, use quality full bore valves, if there is a flow direction indicated adhere to it.

Good luck

I normally fit the join / how it’s put together on the outlet

I’ll answer, but expect different views from others!

Use a quality full bore 1/4 turn lever valve(s). Inside the valve there will be a seal or seating material which is quite soft and intended to make them leak resistant. This is only on one side of the valve, hence the direction arrow to ensure that the seal or seating is on the high pressure side when the valve is closed.

In the domestic plumbing environment with a full bore valve I would doubt that this makes any difference (but I am probably wrong).

It certainly makes a difference in an industrial environment when the delta (pressure) across a closed valve is >15 bar. Hence the use of block and bleed valve arrangements.

If you use reducing valves the flow direction can make a difference, particularly in heating systems if the water is carrying magnetite debris - where velocity changes in the fluid can cause debris to be deposited and subsequently build up.

In short, use quality full bore valves, if there is a flow direction indicated adhere to it.

Good luck
I’ve some Yorkshire Pegler type valves, and I did try to find the answers from their website. The answer may well have been there some where but it wasn’t obvious enough or I just missed it!

Thanks lots for the advice.
[automerge]1569620758[/automerge]
I normally fit the join / how it’s put together on the outlet
Hi Shaun, thanks, I get it... the full bore valves do seem to have a business end so to speak. I’ll follow your lead.

Cheers
BobT.

Reply to Valve fitting orientation... horizontal / vertical ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

A
I have a mixer shower with standard 15cm inlet pipe spacing designed to accept vertical (downward) inlet pipes. The plumbing from my wall has two inlet pipes at the right (15cm) spacing, but they emerge straight out from the wall horizontally instead of descending vertically. Can anyone...
Replies
Views
My installation has been classed as Dangerous 'Do not use' by my boiler manufacturer. I have an Ideal Logic 30kw Combi boiler mounted as high as can be on the kitchen wall. Flue exits out through the wall via an elbow but emerges above a flat roof. Unfortunately it's somewhat less than the...
Replies
Views
I had an outside tap fitted by a professional plumber last autumn. During the recent cold weather the feed pipe under the kitchen sink froze and the compression joint where the pipe enters an isolation valve now leaks. The outside tap was covered for the winter by an insulating blanket. I...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Could someone please explain if this set up is normal and what changed: Stopcock under kitchen sink turns off cold water supply in kitchen only Stopcock in kitchen wall panel turns off cold water supply in kitchen only Red gate valve in airing cupboard next to bathroom turns off...
Replies
Views
Hi Just had a new bathroom installed with a toilet bowl that reaches the back wall. Its has a bottom entry cold feed to the cistern. The fitter put an isolation valve on the pipe work for this :-(, the copper pipe comes up from a plastic pipe push fit. See photo. I did a tissue paper test and...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock