Search the forum,

Discuss Vaillant vuw gb242E Diverter valve in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

darren bastin

Gas Engineer
Been to look at a no hot water call out on the above boiler(14 yrs old). The hw micro switch is operated via a lever attached to the push rod and its snapped. I believe the whole diverter has to be replaced as its not a stand alone item. Anybody changed any of these ? Looks a nightmare as its behind hex and pump. Any tips?

Is the diverter behind the pump.

If so you can buy a service kit remove the pump carefully lift the plunger inside the diverter valve and replace the little white lever then put all back together again.

Personally I would service the whole diverter valve

The diverter is behind the pump. Phoned manufacturers who told me the lever was part of the whole diverter ? Will look on the net for such kit. I take it its best to get appropriate o rings.

The diverter is behind the pump. Phoned manufacturers who told me the lever was part of the whole diverter ? Will look on the net for such kit. I take it its best to get appropriate o rings.

Hi Darren, the kit comes with all the washers and 'o'rings and the benefit if you fit one of seeing the insides of a diverter valve :) They're a joy to do to be honest .. but then I like to repair rather than just fit parts :)

You may get stuck on the "white" plastic valve seal inserts ... best way to remove is with a screw through the orifice and pull out !

That'll make no sense until you do it :lol:

The only peculiarity with eh overhaul kit is that they only send out one type of micro-switch (there are 2 different ones) though if you buy the micro switch on its own they give you both., I seem to have a collection of the blueish ones at the moment.

The only peculiarity with eh overhaul kit is that they only send out one type of micro-switch (there are 2 different ones) though if you buy the micro switch on its own they give you both., I seem to have a collection of the blueish ones at the moment.

They were the original that came with the plastic bottomed diverters If my memory serves me well :) Why they send the old switch and not the new one that constantly goes wrong I do not know! :)

Hi Darren, the kit comes with all the washers and 'o'rings and the benefit if you fit one of seeing the insides of a diverter valve :) They're a joy to do to be honest .. but then I like to repair rather than just fit parts :)

You may get stuck on the "white" plastic valve seal inserts ... best way to remove is with a screw through the orifice and pull out !

That'll make no sense until you do it :lol:

I think your refering to the diaphragm kit . You have to access the water section from underneath. The things in a bulk head cupboard with a foot of clearence underneath . I think I need to get on a bench !

I think your refering to the diaphragm kit . You have to access the water section from underneath. The things in a bulk head cupboard with a foot of clearence underneath . I think I need to get on a bench !

You remove the whole diverter valve darren, strip it, replace the diaphragm and guts, put it all back together ... a joy! :D

Diamondgas at what stage do you look at these old boilers and think time for a new one. Any combi at 14 yrs old cant have much mileage left. Suppose fiddling with them keeps us working

Diamondgas at what stage do you look at these old boilers and think time for a new one. Any combi at 14 yrs old cant have much mileage left. Suppose fiddling with them keeps us working

Ther'll come a time when some one asks you the same question Darren .. :) I like the 242E to be honest .. little goes wrong that isn't repairable ... diverter has been its Achilles heel alas !

For some reason I still don't think of the turbomax's as being old boilers, even though as you say they are coming on for 15 years old now, they seem to be wearing quite well.

I would rather see an old turbomax than an ecomax as they seemed to be built alot better and alot more reliable, Ok they did have a problem with diverters and that seemed to have carry on through their boilers, But not much else really seemed a major problem. (Although saying that removing the pump proving switch can be a little nerve racking if its all scaled up had 2 where the tube came with it)

If there is plenty of room on the right hand side of these boilers, you can drop the guts of the diverter valve via bolts through the top of the diverter valve. This avoids having to remove the pump. If you do remove the pump, be careful when refitting it because it is secured with 2 bolts of different lengths. Get them the wrong way around and the longer bolt will cause damage/leak. It's still a good boiler though.

I've changed a few of these valves where they have been letting the flow get hot when on hot water demand, Is it possible to use the device kit to rectify this, as in strip down valve clean/grease up parts?

I've changed a few of these valves where they have been letting the flow get hot when on hot water demand, Is it possible to use the device kit to rectify this, as in strip down valve clean/grease up parts?

It certainly is dave1 ... You replace the whole of the inner workings :)

Cheers diamondgas, I'd rather repair than replace. I stripped one down that I removed the other day, doesnt look to bad at all. Plus it's handy to know in case someone has rounded off the 3 screws on the pump.

Cheers diamondgas, I'd rather repair than replace. I stripped one down that I removed the other day, doesnt look to bad at all. Plus it's handy to know in case someone has rounded off the 3 screws on the pump.

Hardest screw to get out is the one behind the pump that holds the securing bracket in place! Had to drill one or two out in the past. The service kit comes with all the replacement washers and 'o'rings. Best to replace them all too!

Hardest screw to get out is the one behind the pump that holds the securing bracket in place! Had to drill one or two out in the past. The service kit comes with all the replacement washers and 'o'rings. Best to replace them all too!

I find that a Phillips screwdriver on that screw and a clump with the hammer frees it nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Vaillant vuw gb242E Diverter valve in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi,

Our heating stopped working today. We've got a Veissmann boiler that's under a year old, and an older Megaflow cylinder, and two diverter valves (all about 10 years old). We also use a Hive thermostat.

When I boost the hot water with Hive, the receiver near the boiler shows it's...
Replies
Views
Good Afternoon all, I am hopeful someone may be able to offer some guidance on the following. In the home we have a gas boiler (serviced annually, October time) providing hot water to the CH system which is split into 3 zones (Honeywell 2-way valves) and it also heats the HW tank (Tribune...
Replies
Views
I have a Y-plan system with a Honeywell 4073 three port valve. The valve is several years old. There is a bypass gate valve across the HW cylinder coil. It is cracked slightly open as it always has been. The pump has always been on minimum speed and has not been changed. Since starting to use...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Hi, I have a 20yr+ old Vaillant Turbomax VUW 282 with a magaclean (on the flow side) and connected to Hive system for a 4 bed house. Had it serviced by British Gas engineers - but its a mixed bunch that come around and often depends on the engineer quality. Recently had its diverter valve...
Replies
Views
Hi all, We recently purchased a house and nothing seems to work correctly here, I've spent weeks rectifying issues. Plumbing, electrical, carpentry it's been never ending. The house was built by Barratt Homes in the year 2000, it is a 3 bedroom house called a Palmerston, the CH/HW system is a Y...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock