Search the forum,

Discuss Vaillant VR33 (with Nest) and VR66 in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Does anyone have experience of using a VR33 (for Heating OpenTherm control with Nest) and a VR66 for Hot Water Priority with Vaillant system boilers? I'm specifically using an EcoTec plus 624
I've got a system working with a Nest and VR66 to provide hot water priority and it works well with separate cylinder charge and heating flow temperatures. Currently this is all connected to the Nest using the switched CH and HW controls. I'd like to use the OpenTherm capability of the Nest for the heating but have questions about how the VR33 and VR66 coexist if they can at all. There is no timer or thermostat connected to the VR66. The only control input to the VR66 is the cylinder stat & nest HW switched line.
I'm hoping that the VR33 just behaves like an ebus thermostat and would work alongside the existing setup (with removing the switched CH controls on the boiler) but would love to know if anyone has experience of going into this level of detail.

I don’t believe Vaillant supports opentherm, only ebus which I believe is their equivalent.

The VR33 Vaillant module converts OpenTherm to eBus in the boiler (unsupported in the UK but should work) but I'm trying to understand if plays nice with a VR66 when fitted and connected to a Nest 3rd Gen

I'm looking to do exactly the same thing. I'd like to use OpenTherm controls, but my house has a Vaillant boiler and is plumbed in an S-Plan configuration. I cannot find any controls that will use the OpenTherm protocol and manage the valves directly. My understanding is that the VR66 will allow the boiler itself to control the valves for DHW and CH so that the controls are not directly involved.
From the reading that I've done the VR33 acts as a bridge between eBUS and Opentherm so in theory the boiler will not know the difference between an eBUS controller connected directly, or an Opentherm controller connected via the bridge. There's a fair bit of discussion on the VR33 on the Automated Home forum. On this thread OpenTherm VR33 and Vaillant ecoTEC plus 428 - https://www.automatedhome.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?6396-OpenTherm-VR33-and-Vaillant-ecoTEC-plus-428 someone suggests that the VR33 is 'low priority' and will not work with other eBus controls.
Looking at the specs: https://ebus-wiki.org/lib/exe/fetch.php/ebus/spec_prot_12_v1_3_1_e.pdf and https://ebus-wiki.org/lib/exe/fetch.php/ebus/spec_prot_7_v1_6_1_e.pdf eBus clearly supports multiple devices on the same bus (I guess the clues in the name), so it seems like it 'should' work.

So I went ahead and tried it all anyway and it works perfectly. The vr66 provides hot water priority for the boiler and can control the valves for ch and hw. The vr33 allows the nest to control heating and hot water using opentherm! The only other thing I added (which you don't need) was the vr10 ntc sensor for my hot water cylinder so that nest can control the cylinder temp instead of the mechanical thermostat.
Now to fix the one radiator which seems to have sludged up!

Where are you connecting the ot off the nest to ?

If you change from switch 230v to ot you need to put the link back into the 24v connection on the main board too

Oh, that's great. You've given me the confidence to do the same setup on my boiler. I've got an Opentherm gateway that I'm hoping to use between the controller and vr33 so that I can log the boiler metrics. Armed with that I'm hoping I can get it tweaked to eek out the most efficiency.

Incidentally, are you able to schedule your hot water using the Nest when it's connected on Opentherm or does it work solely on the VR66 switching the system to hot water priority (upping the temp, and controlling the valves) when the nest says there is demand.

Yes. I originally set up heating with OT and HW with switched live (HW cylinder stat and switch in Nest linked in series to VR66 cyl stat connection) but then changed the HW to OT when I received my VR10 NTC as well and it controls the schedule. I don't know how it would behave with OT HW control and cyl switched stat.

You also get better feedback with the HW via OT. The two images below both show the HW set to on in the schedule but one shows that there is no demand from the cylinder.

Cylinder temp demand
1666959921579.png

Cylinder no temp demand
1666959985055.png

If you change from switch 230v to ot you need to put the link back into the 24v connection on the main board too
I have installed the vr33 on our vaillant ecotec plus. At first I could not get it to work because I hadn't linked the 24v connection but once this was rectified the boiler works. I have the flow temp set at 65 deg.c but to me the ot is not modulating the boiler very well. The boiler flow is on 65 when heating is on, or off when up to temp the idea of open therm is to ramp boiler down before it reaches set temp. So it doesn't obershoot.there is no in between I was wandering if settings on boiler need to be adjusted to accommodate the vr33 or do I need to link ebus connections on PCB as well as the 24v connections.

Are you using a Nest with OT? If so, True Radiant needs to be enabled on the Nest for it to set the flow temp. On the Vaillant you can also see the ebus target temp (D.9 on the EcoTec Plus 624) (flow temperature requested by the Nest) in the settings to see what is being sent. Mine is definitely modulating down. If it has a large temperature difference it will fire at max set temp (75 in my case) and modulate down as it approaches the target room temp (44 at present).
The ebus connections should not be joined to my knowledge.

Last edited:
Are you using a Nest with OT? If so, True Radiant needs to be enabled on the Nest for it to set the flow temp. On the Vaillant you can also see the ebus target temp (D.9 on the EcoTec Plus 624) (flow temperature requested by the Nest) in the settings to see what is being sent. Mine is definitely modulating down. If it has a large temperature difference it will fire at max set temp (75 in my case) and modulate down as it approaches the target room temp (44 at present).
The ebus connections should not be joined to my knowledge.
Hi thank you for replying yes I am using a nest 3rd gen stat but true radiant is off as the heating was coming on too early especially in the mornings, to achieve 21 at 7am the heating was coming on at 0330 or earlier. so are you saying without the true radiant heat feature the boiler will not modulate down on approaching set temp.

I am a heating engineer and wish to thank you both.

I have nest and a Vaillant ecomax but have a ecotec 618 lying on floor of loft, never bothered switching it over as it works and the lack of OT on Vaillant drives me nuts (was thinking of just dumping the free 618). I've now collected the necessary components and your posts here are the best help I've had on piecing the control system together.

I'll report back.

Thanks again

This is really interesting thread, are you able to post any pics of your nest wiring into the vr66 board and explain the process a bit further. Any information appreciated, I have a y plan system and I’m considering installing the vr33 board for better modulation with nest

This is really interesting thread, are you able to post any pics of your nest wiring into the vr66 board and explain the process a bit further. Any information appreciated, I have a y plan system and I’m considering installing the vr33 board for better modulation with nest
I cannot send pics cos I have no vr66 but the vr33 is plug and play plugs into xr31 or xr32 depending on your boiler. The two OT wires from heat link go onto OT connections on vr33 and make sure 24volt connections in boiler have a link in. Also on the nest stat make sure you have enabled OT and not on/off switching.

I cannot send pics cos I have no vr66 but the vr33 is plug and play plugs into xr31 or xr32 depending on your boiler. The two OT wires from heat link go onto OT connections on vr33 and make sure 24volt connections in boiler have a link in. Also on the nest stat make sure you have enabled OT and not on/off switching.
Thanks for confirming I’m going to order the vr33 👍🏻

Thanks for confirming I’m going to order the vr33 👍🏻
I'm interested to find out where to order a VR33 from. I searched around and could not find any supplier here. They mostly come from NL but could only find one who had stock but they stopped shipping to the UK.

 I'm interested to find out where to order a VR33 from. I searched around and could not find any supplier here. They mostly come from NL but could only find one who had stock but they stopped shipping to the UK.
Mine was from a Dutch company but they don't have stock.

I posted the message to let other folks know that they have new stocks.

I will be back for assistance in getting it to work on my EcoFit Pure 415 boiler with PDHW.

Just doing this today. Just checking nothing connects the boiler to the vr66?

Are the nests connected to it?

I’m a bit confused by this too. Is the nest connected to the open term only and the vr66 still controls hw and heating under command from nest as putting in the vr33 changes ebus to opentherm? Why is the vr66 still required if nest can modulate over opentherm? Any help appreciated 👍🏻

Thank you for the info. I'll be in touch when I am ready to set it all up. I will be getting my old Potterton Supriema replaced with a Ecofit Pure 415 and my aim is to configure an identical setup like what you have managed to do with a VR10 NTC to keep the HW Cylinder topped up when the storage water temp drops below a set threshold. I have a single 3-port valve (s-plan) and just need to figure out which wires I need to connect to the VR66. If you have a pic as you know the saying goes. it will speak louder than words.

Has anybody managed to use the VR33 with Two zones i.e two Nests on OpenTherm ?

eg image below.
Nest 1 - Central Heading (CH) Ground Floor
Nest 2 - Central Heating (CH) Upper Floor AND Hot Water (HW)

If so, do you simply link the two Nests Opentherms (OT) together, like dives on a multiple master Bus ?
Certainly eBus connections can work like this, but I'm not sure about Nests and the VR33 Opentherm

Ideally, I would like to have
  • Nest 1 with a lower Target Temp (50) and Lower kWh, that better suits Underfloor Central Heating.
  • Nest 2 with a High Temp (75) for the HW Cylinder Charging and the Upper Floor Central Heating radiators.

If so, would you still need to use the Opentherm alongside the VR66/65 for Hot Water Priority ?

Screenshot 2023-04-20 at 09.16.45.jpg

Reply to Vaillant VR33 (with Nest) and VR66 in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock