Search the forum,

Discuss Vaillant VR 350f hell! in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

D

Deleted member 124900

Hello all!

We recently had a Vaillant ecoTEC plus 832 installed, along with a Vaillant VRT 350f controller! I use Auto mode, and set the programme to come on every day at 6am and switch off at 11pm, and I turned the set back temp down to 5°C (can't we just have an OFF?). The controller sits in the hallway about 15m from the boiler, with a couple of corners and a wall between.

The problem is, it seems to come on at random, last night it came on at 12.15AM, and i went out and checked the controller, it was at 20°C but it was still on day time mode, it seems to not always switch to night mode. if you touch the dial it then suddenly switches, like it fell asleep and you had to remind it that it should have transmitted a message to the boiler to turn off. It does this frequently, sometimes it won't switch on in the morning, sometimes it won't switch off in the evening, sometimes it will randomly turn on, or off, when i don't want it to. But every time I look at the controller when it's misbehaving, it seems to still be in the previous mode, ie it will be 10am yet still showing night mode, or 11.15pm and still showing day mode. There doesn't seem to be any consistency or accuracy with it.

My bedroom / home office is by far the coldest room in the flat and the place where the thermostat is needed, but if I put it in there, the damned thing doesn't even work at all. I don't really care too much about having thermostatic control I just want the heating to come on at 6am and turn off at 11pm with the option to over-ride that until the next event.

Why is this so hard? I don't recall having these issues with the old Honeywell controller. But the kind installer guy removed that!

Can anyone give me some advice here? It's driving me crazy.

Thanks
Mike

Have you tried changing the batteries in the controller? When we have had issues we have done that and it worked!

Well I hadn't actually tried this yet, no.. I thought the batteries the installer put in there would be new, but maybe that was a silly assumption. I've just replaced them with 4x new Duracell Plus. I shall report back!

I have lived (existed?) with a VRT for nearly 10 years now. Its a largely unintelligible system both difficult to program and difficult to operate. One of the most irritating features is that the clock for the controller is actually in the boiler. Any power cut (and despite being in suburban London we tend to get 3 or 4 each year), and the time is lost and has to be re-entered through the controller. Presumably Germany has no power cuts.

When you pick up the controller, like yours, it nearly always shows the state of things before the last change. However, I've realised over the years that although it may initially show the last state, it is actually operating as it should. It doesn't need a "push" to do what it should already be doing. Worth checking what is actually happening at the boiler at a change of state.

And the controller goes through a set of batteries about once a year.

"When you pick up the controller, like yours, it nearly always shows the state of things before the last change. However, I've realised over the years that although it may initially show the last state, it is actually operating as it should. It doesn't need a "push" to do what it should already be doing. Worth checking what is actually happening at the boiler at a change of state."

Yes, you are correct, and I have realised this now, after picking it up this morning and the heating was on yet the screen was still showing the moon icon. It will always momentarily show the last state, but it's possible that it just hasn't had the message back from the boiler to say 'I've changed mode, now show that on the display!'.

"Its a largely unintelligible system both difficult to program and difficult to operate."

Yep. There's so many annoyances with the damned thing. Even the room temperature seems way out; I've got the controller next to a thermometer I know to be very accurate, which shows 19.2°C - the controller says 22.5°C!

Seems to be doing okay at the moment with the new batteries. Here's hoping it continues that way!

We have been taking them off the front of the boiler and mounting on the wall. They quite often have a signal issue under the metal cover. Have it fitted external and I am sure your problem will go away as long as battery's are ok. They come with the unit so we don't know how old they are.

Hi all, thanks for your help on this. Leaving the door open seems to have solved a lot of the issues we were having!

However, the remote control unit is now showing the message 'Service heat generator'.

Does this indicate a fault or is it just a reminder?

1. One of the parameters in the BOILER is "Number of hours until the next maintenance". I would guess that if this is at or below zero, it thinks it needs a service. I have an EcoTec Plus 428 and this is parameter d.84.
2. This parameter can be set to "-" (hyphen) which disables the maintenance indicator.
3. Have a look at your installation manual and see if you have the same. You should be able to reset it to "-" (no quotes) and turn the indication off on the VRT. D.84 is in the password protected part of the parameters. On mine you have to go to d.97, enter the password (which is the two digit number 17), then go to d.84. The password should be in the instructions.

okay so that setting is already set to "---" i notice there is another maintenance reminder in the service information settings on the remote unit, and when i checked that it was on 00/00/0000 - i switched the date to another date in the future and the message disappeared, then set it to today and the message displays again, so it must be that. i'm guessing this is isn't really significant?

It’s over 12 months since it was serviced / if less the service period wasn’t reset

Contact the installer needs to be reset

Try increasing it to 1.5 bar

yep, it was the pressure. feel a bit silly. i should have thought of that first. i assumed the display on the remote was just mirroring the boiler's own display. and there's no reason why it can't beam a message to the remote to say "pressure too low" rather than "service heat generator". my experience of vaillant boilers isn't great. not intuitive at all. germans can do better than this.

To be fair the VR350F you have is knocking on a 10 year old model now. Vaillant actually replaced this with the new SensoHome & SensoComfort Controllers about a year ago, so whoever has fitted your boiler has fitted the older controller (Best part is the Sensohome was the same price as the VR350 at my supplier!)

The new one's are much much better, don't suffer with the signal loss, and the controls are much more intuitive as you say. Unfortunate you've ended up with the old controller.

See the on Vaillant's website - sensoHOME / sensoHOME RF room thermostat - Vaillant - https://www.vaillant.co.uk/for-installers/products/sensohome-sensohome-rf-room-thermostat-72128.html

Reply to Vaillant VR 350f hell! in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

J
Morning all, My Vallient Ecotec Plus 831 is stored in the loft and is connected to Hive. It is coming on randomly at various times of the day, but particularly middle of the night, and staying on until I manually turn the boiler off. Hive schedule is switched off but still comes on. Had an...
Replies
Views
J Hughes
J
Hi all I have a Vaillant eco boiler at a new house I moved into last week. It’s a combo boiler and the last boiler I had was old (and much easier to use!) This one keeps turning itself off. The hot water seems to work and is always warm. The heating also works but for random amounts of time...
Replies
Views
Hi, I was hoping to replace an old system boiler with a Vaillant Ecotec Exclusive 627 system boiler, thats the one with the diverter valve so no need for zone valves, controling it with a V-Smart and a VR10. I've spoken to Vaillant Tech and they said you cannot use the VR10 with a vented...
Replies
Views
Hello everyone, I'm facing an issue with my Vaillant EcoTec 832 boiler and would greatly appreciate your expert advice. The Problem: Heating Not Working Normally. When I turn on the heating, it doesn’t start. However, I still receive hot water, suggesting the boiler does work in some...
Replies
Views
Conditions: nearly 10 year old boiler WB2B, heating mode off, DHW on or also in standby, Boiler shows no fault LED on, no new fault logged, room thermostat deactivated. Boiler gets odd attacks of suddenly turning on the fan 100%, then (gas valve and ignition are clicking?) potentially tries to...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock