Search the forum,

Discuss Vaillant EcoTEC plus system boiler - DHW control? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Ric2013

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Hi there,

Boiler question, but nothing that contravenes gas regs.

To get to the point, the Vaillant EcoTEC Plus seems to have two knobs. One has a tap symbol, the other has a radiator symbol. Even the system boiler version of this boiler has two knobs.

What I cannot make out is what purpose the DHW control knob has on a system boiler. And I'm still confused having read the manual, as the boiler manual isn't very clear (especially to me who isn't even sure what the time is today).

Does the boiler fire at a higher flow temperature when it knows it is heating hot water? This would be the logical way of being able to set a proper condensing temperature when the cylinder is satisfied, but I can't see anything in the wiring diagram that would suggest the boiler knows whether it is heating a cylinder or radiators.

I have told the customer that while I don't think the DHW control knob does anything on her system boiler variant, I'm really not sure.

Hoping someone with more Vaillant experience will be able to enlighten me....

Reactions: Lou
It doesn't do anything on a heat only boiler Ric the boiler modulates up and down due to heating demand usually by using ntc thermistors in the flow and return pipework in the boiler they work on resistance measured on the ohmes scale and reduce or increase the resistance at different temperatures when heat is past over them in turn controling the boilers modulation process , best practice to achieve satisfactory hot water demand is set the boiler temperature to 65° c this temperature is hot enough to switch the cylinder thermostat off at 60° c but still achieving a good supply temperature to the radiators if that makes sense :rolleyes::rolleyes: . Kop

Last edited:
Yes, it does make sense. Anything less than 65°C would really struggle to heat the cylinder to the required temperature, but any more and you risk not having the boiler condense the rest of the time.

So, in the age of smart controls and weather comp, has any boiler manufacturer actually made a boiler that will run at one temperature for space heating, and then ramp up to a higher setting when heating a cylinder? This would seem desirable, or am I missing something fundemental?

The normal way of configuring weather compensation for a single channel system boiler is to use a relay on the weather compensation connection. When CH calls for heat, the relay remains closed, so weather compensation operates. When DHW is called the relay opens so weather compensation is ignored and a high flow temperature is delivered.

The relay is activated (opened) by the micro switch on the DHW control valve.

Yes, it does make sense. Anything less than 65°C would really struggle to heat the cylinder to the required temperature, but any more and you risk not having the boiler condense the rest of the time.

So, in the age of smart controls and weather comp, has any boiler manufacturer actually made a boiler that will run at one temperature for space heating, and then ramp up to a higher setting when heating a cylinder? This would seem desirable, or am I missing something fundemental?
Ideal logic heat five words

Ideal boilers do this

Actually Vaillant was one of the first to do this I believe, they were well ahead of the game 10+years ago. Other manufactures are only just starting to do this, where the germans have been doing this a while. The issue is here that you aren't using the Vaillant wiring centre, cylinder probe and controls.

If you use their own controls it'll allow you to do precisely as you say. You'll get HW priority where you can use the boiler front to select the temperature of the water, it'll have a higher flow temperature for quicker HW recovery, and you can select the output of the KW of the boiler to match the cylinder coil. It'll then allow you to run a lower flow temperature for your central heating circuit, whilst the controller modulates the temperature through the eBus system.

The issue is whoever fitted the boiler originally has just used the S/L to get the boiler to come on or off therefore it cannot differentiate between a HW demand or CH demand.

Actually Vaillant was one of the first to do this I believe, they were well ahead of the game 10+years ago. Other manufactures are only just starting to do this, where the germans have been doing this a while. The issue is here that you aren't using the Vaillant wiring centre, cylinder probe and controls.

If you use their own controls it'll allow you to do precisely as you say. You'll get HW priority where you can use the boiler front to select the temperature of the water, it'll have a higher flow temperature for quicker HW recovery, and you can select the output of the KW of the boiler to match the cylinder coil. It'll then allow you to run a lower flow temperature for your central heating circuit, whilst the controller modulates the temperature through the eBus system.

The issue is whoever fitted the boiler originally has just used the S/L to get the boiler to come on or off therefore it cannot differentiate between a HW demand or CH demand.
That's good to know. I was puzzling at the IOM for some time trying to work out if there was the presumption you'd use their own controls and that that knob would then serve a purpose.

That's good to know. I was puzzling at the IOM for some time trying to work out if there was the presumption you'd use their own controls and that that knob would then serve a purpose.
Vaillants instructions aren't great at times, especially when it comes to wiring! The controls instructions aren't much better either.

Vaillants instructions aren't great at times, especially when it comes to wiring! The controls instructions aren't much better either.
Yes. I assume it's the VR 65 control center (sic.), but it would be good if the IOM said what you explained above. Can't help thinking that had I been an RGI, I'd have used a simple switched live, whereas, having read your explanation, I wouldn't.

Yes. I assume it's the VR 65 control center (sic.), but it would be good if the IOM said what you explained above. Can't help thinking that had I been an RGI, I'd have used a simple switched live, whereas, having read your explanation, I wouldn't.
I believe the VR65 has now been replaced by the VR66, again Vaillant have never really stated this anywhere!

Valliant controls are ok if you're good with tech where they fall down is in their installer and user instructions far far to complicated for the average person to use, installers don't understand them electricians don't know how to wire them, Their boilers are as good as any other of the top 5, I myself sometimes install them 9 times out of ten I would use Honeywell controls or a form of smart control why ! Only reason is because they are easy to install , to set up and are user friendly even my Senior clients can use them , install a VR control they would struggle and would result in nuisance call backs for me, I did fit one once to a combi in a beauticians :eek: lost count how many times I went back nightmare, I would want to do the Valliant training before ever trying them again.

Reply to Vaillant EcoTEC plus system boiler - DHW control? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock