Search the forum,

Discuss Vaillant ecoTEC plus 637 with Nest or maybe SensoHome in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, A newbie here but need expert advice,

I have installers who have started fitting the boiler (Vaillant ecoTEC plus 637) replacing an old water tank loft system and cylinder in the cupboard
I'm also installing a horizontal megaflo (tempest)

Okay, so they purchased the Valliant vsmart kit with it which I thought is dated as currently, I have a Hive thermostat installed from my previous owner (just moved in a few months ago)

I looked on Vaillants website and they have something called the SensoHome thermostat but I cannot find reviews, installations, or anything as it's quite new (2020).
I spoke with Vaillant and of course, they will talk it up. Has anyone used this yet or installed it?

I'd prefer to go with Nest but that is from a user perspective and I wanted to know if this is common in a system unvented installation and will it talk to the boiler okay?

Even on Vaillant website, they say nest is fine. but I worry about the eBus vs Openthem technologies. (please give me your thoughts)
I'm just learning this stuff now so forgive my lack of knowledge

I need to make a decision this week.

Thanks in advance

Dwain

Opentherm (nest) cant communicate with a vaillant boiler. It will just work as a on/off stat albeit a smart one.

vsmart uses ebus so can communicate with the boiler to aid modulations and also uses local weather station data.

I don’t know anything about the senso range of controls
So basically, if I went down the Nest route the best it can do is switch on and off based on its functionality like schedules or ITTT functions.
Whereas going with the Vaillant branded kit and language that uses eBus then it "could" be smarter and use it inbuilt functions modularisation etc
SensoHome ( sensoHOME / sensoHOME RF room thermostat - Vaillant - https://www.vaillant.co.uk/for-installers/products/sensohome-sensohome-rf-room-thermostat-72128.html)
Is just a better looking version on the vsmart. It's just a shame I cannot find much on it yet. (maybe I'll be the first)
It's a shame I didn't know this before they recommended the boiler. hmm

The nest is a supposedly a learning thermostat, so will “learn” your system, but basicon/off technology yes. For optimal performance you’d be better with a Vaillant controller. I know nothing of the newer types though.

The SensoHome is a nice controller, but for the little extra i'd go up to the SensoComfort that gives you the weather comp. I've fitted both. However if you want remote control you will need to by the additional gateway which is extra and quite costly. You will also need a VR66 and VR10 temperature probe. Not sure if your installer will have allowed for this anyway as they are fitting the V Smart - i've unfortunately never done VSmart as didn't like the controller or receiver.

Using the Vaillant controls will give you better performance and controls over the system, it'll give you Hot Water Priority along with the ability for the controls to set the flow temperature for the CH based on set points and external readings from the outdoor sensor.

Thank you so much. I need someone that has actually fitted these.
We have v66 but not the V610 probe.
I'm really shocked to find out I need another unit to connect this to the internet to control remotely.
The SensoHome is a nice controller, but for the little extra i'd go up to the SensoComfort that gives you the weather comp. I've fitted both. However if you want remote control you will need to by the additional gateway which is extra and quite costly. You will also need a VR66 and VR10 temperature probe. Not sure if your installer will have allowed for this anyway as they are fitting the V Smart - i've unfortunately never done VSmart as didn't like the controller or receiver.

Using the Vaillant controls will give you better performance and controls over the system, it'll give you Hot Water Priority along with the ability for the controls to set the flow temperature for the CH based on set points and external readings from the outdoor sensor.

Thank you so much. I needed someone that has actually fitted these.
We have V66 but not the V610 probe so will pick that up. If you have any other tips on this installation please let me know, it's greatly appreciated.
I'm really shocked to find out I need another unit to connect this to the internet to control remotely.(still new to this stuff but learning)

Does anyone know if that's also the case for the vsmart? because all we have is the V66 box and the vsmart box. If an additional is required then I'm in the same predicament and it needs to come out of their budget.

Can you tell me where you got the probe from. Can't find it on their website

Thank you so much. I need someone that has actually fitted these.
We have v66 but not the V610 probe.
I'm really shocked to find out I need another unit to connect this to the internet to control remotely.

Thank you so much. I needed someone that has actually fitted these.
We have V66 but not the V610 probe so will pick that up. If you have any other tips on this installation please let me know, it's greatly appreciated.
I'm really shocked to find out I need another unit to connect this to the internet to control remotely.(still new to this stuff but learning)

Does anyone know if that's also the case for the vsmart? because all we have is the V66 box and the vsmart box. If an additional is required then I'm in the same predicament and it needs to come out of their budget.
No the VSmart will connect to the internet without a gateway I believe. It’s like Vaillant’s budget range internet connected controller. Like
I said I’ve never fitted one so can’t comment on what they’re like.

Advantages of manufacturers controller set out fairly well here esp in first couple of mins:

Thanks,
I've seen this and it was helpful. Good reminder though.
I think I'm just a bit apprehensive as this is my first house and I've gone for a system that I basically had to learn overnight (Still done get it fully). All the input has been great though!

So I've made the decision to go for

Vaillant sensoCOMFORT VRC720F Wireless RF Multi-Zone Room Thermostat
Vaillant VR921 sensoNET Internet Gateway
Vaillant VR66 Control Centre
VR10 Weather Probe

The installer will do all the hard parts and someone will come after to ensure it set up correctly.

I still need to make sure I understand it all and RTFM

VR66. But that’s for hw & ch zone. If you want extra zones for CH you need VR71
Okay so basically I purchased all the right things for HW and CH that's all I wanted.
I'm not trying to do anything with other zones right now
VR10 Weather Probe

For some reason, the CH wouldn't trigger in wither of the the V66 mode 0,1,2 modes
when set to 1 is when it would only trigger the HW

Okay so basically I purchased all the right things for HW and CH that's all I wanted.
I'm not trying to do anything with other zones right now
VR10 Weather Probe

For some reason, the CH wouldn't trigger in wither of the the V66 mode 0,1,2 modes
when set to 1 is when it would only trigger the HW
It'll do HW priority first, so Heat the HW then switch to CH. You can't have both on at once.

It'll do HW priority first, so Heat the HW then switch to CH. You can't have both on at once.
Vaillant has basically said this isn't compatible as when setting up the controls it errors.
They recommended the Vr71 which is over £250 more!! Plus I cannot return the Vr66

I'm totally confused as they even sent me this first to say it should work (see attached pages 14/15)

did you definitely have set up the SensoComfort and the V66
or was it the SensoHome?

Attachments

• sensoCOMFORT Boiler schematics and Installation Guide.pdf
    4.4 MB · Views: 26
Vaillant has basically said this isn't compatible as when setting up the controls it errors.
They recommended the Vr71 which is over £250 more!! Plus I cannot return the Vr66

I'm totally confused as they even sent me this first to say it should work (see attached pages 14/15)

did you definitely have set up the SensoComfort and the V66
or was it the SensoHome?
Nope, SensoComfort and VR66. They are compatible.

Should work fine. If you changing the Code on the Setup leave it as the default which is either 1 or 0. I had the same issue with an error when trying to change the config, yet it worked perfectly on the default out the box setting.

Has your VR66 been wired correctly?

Nope, SensoComfort and VR66. They are compatible.

Should work fine. If you changing the Code on the Setup leave it as the default which is either 1 or 0. I had the same issue with an error when trying to change the config, yet it worked perfectly on the default out the box setting.

Has your VR66 been wired correctly?
You were absolutely right! and I'm glad that I was persistent with the installer to contact the technical team a few times. The first person just straight up said "you need a VR71"
It eventually started to working after another two technical assistants were called.
The sensor is now on the outside wall in a good location and the HW and CH are configured and working good.
I just need to spend the week making sure it's doing everything is suppose to do to modulate and work up to standard.

Maybe if I ever decide to have more zones then I will purchase the VR71

Thank you very much

I just wanted to re-open this thread as I am looking into the Vaillant controls. I am currently using Heatmiser to independently control my central heating, HW, and a room I had built last year which contains UFH. I have an unvented Megaflo hot water cylinder. All the Heatmiser devices are hard wired, and I can control everything through the Heatmiser app on my phone.

I am looking to replace my boiler with the new 2023 Vaillant ecotec plus 625 system boiler. I have read quite a few recommendations for having the Vaillant controls fitted which improves the modulation of the boiler, as well as improving the efficiency of the boiler, along with more steady, comfortable temperatures within the home.

I was initially looking at:
  • Vaillant sensoCOMFORT VRC720 room thermostat for programming the CH & UFH, and acting as the thermostat for the CH. I believe the sensoCOMFORT has the weather compensation included within the bundle
  • wiring centre VR71 (I believe this includes the VR10 cylinder thermostat sensor)
  • VR921 internet gateway
  • VR92 (for the UFH thermostat)

However, all these components added together make it pretty expensive, the VR71 being the most costly. I know the VR66/2 wiring centre is compatible with the sensoHOME but is it compatible with the sensoCOMFORT?

I did read that the SensoComfort is only supported with a VR66 if one has a ‘Y’ plan system. I believe I have an 'S' plan as I have seperate zone valves for the HW, CH and UFH.

Whilst the VR10 cylinder thermostat sensor comes with the VR71, this is one of the least expensive components.

Last edited:
I just wanted to re-open this thread as I am looking into the Vaillant controls. I am currently using Heatmiser to independently control my central heating, HW, and a room I had built last year which contains UFH. I have an unvented Megaflo hot water cylinder. All the Heatmiser devices are hard wired, and I can control everything through the Heatmiser app on my phone.

I am looking to replace my boiler with the new 2023 Vaillant ecotec plus 625 system boiler. I have read quite a few recommendations for having the Vaillant controls fitted which improves the modulation of the boiler, as well as improving the efficiency of the boiler, along with more steady, comfortable temperatures within the home.

I was initially looking at:
  • Vaillant sensoCOMFORT VRC720 room thermostat for programming the CH & UFH, and acting as the thermostat for the CH. I believe the sensoCOMFORT has the weather compensation included within the bundle
  • wiring centre VR71 (I believe this includes the VR10 cylinder thermostat sensor)
  • VR921 internet gateway
  • VR92 (for the UFH thermostat)

However, all these components added together make it pretty expensive, the VR71 being the most costly. I know the VR66/2 wiring centre is compatible with the sensoHOME but is it compatible with the sensoCOMFORT?

I did read that the SensoComfort is only supported with a VR66 if one has a ‘Y’ plan system. I believe I have an 'S' plan as I have seperate zone valves for the HW, CH and UFH.

Whilst the VR10 cylinder thermostat sensor comes with the VR71, this is one of the least expensive components.
Hi @EvilDrPorkChop - I wonder if you would be grateful to advise here. I am still uncertain whether to go down the sensoHome route or SensoComfort. Does having weather compensation make a big difference over having load compensation?

As I mentioned earlier, I have one CH zone and one UFH zone in the house. I also have an unvented Megaflo hot water cylinder so I effectively have 3 zone values; for HW, CH and UFH.

Can I get away with using the SensoCOMFORT with the VR66 wiring centre or do I have to have the VR71 wiring centre?

Also, do I need the VR10 temperature probe (for the hot water cylinder?) or is this only needed with the VR71 wiring centre?

Reply to Vaillant ecoTEC plus 637 with Nest or maybe SensoHome in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock