Search the forum,

Discuss Vaillant ecoTec plus 637 System boiler control options in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Vaillant ecoTec plus 637 and gledhill 250 indirect tank control options

Hi,

I am in the process of renovating an old farm house. I have been advised to have installed the Vaillant ecoTec plus 637 system boiler with a gledhill 250l indirect tank.
I met with the heating engineers yesterday as I asked to meet to discuss controls. The first fix is installed so I need to get some heat on before it gets colder.
I asked about boiler controls and explained I was looking at the Vaillant ones - I was then told I just need to get 4 basic Siemens time switches. I mentioned about wireless so I could control from my phone but I was told I can’t do anything fancy like that with this system.

I have 3 young children so with working, hobbies and school runs I’m in and out and would like controllable options.

I have 4 zones which is why I need 4 time switches I am told.
1-Hot Water
2-Underfloor heating
3-Upstairs
4-Downstairs

I have phoned Vaillant who said I can go for the sensiocomfort and then get zone thermostats.
I rang the guys back and asked about this option and they just said sounds good but they haven’t heard of it and that part would be up to the electrician and not them so I can’t get them if I want and tell an electrician to install them.

Please could someone advice me on what I need to control these 4 zones and also what parts I need to but to make it so I can control from my phone. I am not bothered about the time switch being wireless but I would like to have the control from my phone.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

You can control the Vaillant boiler with sensocomfort. You would be better with a Vaillant cylinder as that gives even more control but it will work with a gledhill on an 'S plan'.

Have a look at the link here for the various options. If you go onto the Vaillant website 'find an installer', you should be able to find a heating engineer conversant with the products you want. You will need more than just just the sensocomfort control because you'll need a connection to wi-fi and sensors in other zones. The options are on the link.

Thanks very much, so am I right in thinking that each zone will have one of the Vaillant sensiocomfort controls controlling it?

I thought I was using a Vaillant installer who would be familiar with the wireless system and it’s only when I’ve come to this point it isn’t the case of them being able to advise. I’m in a predicament really as I have already had them start the job and paid a lot of money out.

Thanks for replying

The RF version will do up to 3 heating zones and one DHW.

One thing you need to check with Vaillant/installer is the underfloor heating temperatures.

The sensoComfort system comes with an outdoor temperature sensor so that it can give you weather compensation. This controls the heating water temperature by working off a heat curve (installer sets it). The boiler will alter temperature in relation to requirements. Under floor heating normally runs at a lower temperature to radiators. It normally has its own mixing valve but it is worth asking Vaillant technical/sales whether the sensoComfort RF is compatible with UFH. I don't know what your minimum required temperature will be for the UFH in comparison to the lower temperature the boiler will give out in milder weather.

Hope that makes sense?

But I was trying to post a link to find an installer but it won't allow it so I am afraid you'll need to google that.
Thanks for the advice.

I was trying to price up the additional components I will now need to make the system controllable from my phone, also the Vaillant Sensiocomfort does look nice.
I was a bit surprised and worried to be told I wouldn’t be able to have any remote control so I feel better reading this.

It’s been arranged that I will order the main materials, boiler, tank, flue, filter and controls and the rest will be ordered to the job by the heating engineer.

Does anyone have this setup or experience installing it? I need to get a list of what I need so I can price it all up and budget. Does it sound really complex what I am asking for?

What you are asking for is not complexed. It is a typical job by the sounds of it.

I am surprised you are ordering your own materials for this type of work though.
In my opinion you would be better letting the heating engineers supply the equipment as they should know what is required. There will be things they know about that I suspect you may not. No offence intended!

Just to throw a spanner in the works.
If you used a Vaillant cylinder, you would have more control (as you are using Vaillant controls) and Vaillant also make a cylinder that is ready for use with their solar panels should you decide to add that in future. You shouldn't need to adjust the cylinder temperature to be honest but you would have that additional option. If you do want to run it at a lower than 60 degree temperature (I wouldn't recommend it but you can) it has an anti-legionella function that runs once a week.

There are many options with these things and you need advice on what is available (for now and the future) and best for you and your property by an experienced heating engineer who has been on site and discussed things with you.
This forum has plenty of knowledgeable, experienced people but I think the advice you require needs to be from the aforementioned.

What you are asking for is not complexed. It is a typical job by the sounds of it.

I am surprised you are ordering your own materials for this type of work though.
In my opinion you would be better letting the heating engineers supply the equipment as they should know what is required. There will be things they know about that I suspect you may not. No offence intended!

Just to throw a spanner in the works.
If you used a Vaillant cylinder, you would have more control (as you are using Vaillant controls) and Vaillant also make a cylinder that is ready for use with their solar panels should you decide to add that in future. You shouldn't need to adjust the cylinder temperature to be honest but you would have that additional option. If you do want to run it at a lower than 60 degree temperature (I wouldn't recommend it but you can) it has an anti-legionella function that runs once a week.

There are many options with these things and you need advice on what is available (for now and the future) and best for you and your property by an experienced heating engineer who has been on site and discussed things with you.
This forum has plenty of knowledgeable, experienced people but I think the advice you require needs to be from the aforementioned.
Thanks this is very helpful.

I think I need to look into the Vaillant tank option then and I do like the idea of future proofing so the one that can be used with solar panels is of great interest to me.

Do you know the model of this one so I can price it up?

Once I have an idea on the prices I can then go back to deciding what to do and get someone out to discuss things going forward.

I appreciate all the advice thanks again

Thanks this is very helpful.

I think I need to look into the Vaillant tank option then and I do like the idea of future proofing so the one that can be used with solar panels is of great interest to me.

Do you know the model of this one so I can price it up?

Once I have an idea on the prices I can then go back to deciding what to do and get someone out to discuss things going forward.

I appreciate all the advice thanks again
The cylinder you are asking about is called an auroSTOR. It comes in different sizes.
They make different cylinders and some are slimline, some pre-plumbed. I can't add the link again, sorry.

Reply to Vaillant ecoTec plus 637 System boiler control options in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We have an all Vaillant setup - an EcoTEC Plus 637 system boiler plus wired VR720 and VR92 SensoCOMFORT controller, driving two CH zones plus DHW. It all works, but unfortunately we have found that the room stats are poorly located, and so the level of control is not what it should be. We had...
Replies
Views
I am considering replacing my existing boiler with the new 2023 Vaillant ecotec plus 625 boiler. I currently have 3 x Heatmiser neoStat thermostats that are all hard wired back to the wiring centre; one for the central heating, one for a room with UFH, and one for the HW. I use the Heatmiser...
Replies
Views
I recently had a new 2023 Vaillant ecoTec plus 630 (30kW) system boiler installed along with a Low Loss Header (LLH) in my house. I have 21 rads in the house and a room with UFH. The LLH was introduced as I was finding (before the LLH was fitted) that my old boiler (Vaillant heat-only boiler)...
Replies
Views
I have a Vaillant Ecotec Plus combi boiler that was installed just over 6 years ago. It has been serviced annually, the most recent service being about 2 months ago. The controller is a Vaillant VRT 350f wireless type. Recently a spanner symbol and a “Service Heat Generator” message have...
Replies
Views
I just had a quote for a new boiler install as follows I dont undertand why a 15-60 boiler pump is needed and a 25-100 pump is needed as well I currently have an ideal mexico 2 heat only boiler - It has one DAB pump on the boiler return and a 2 port valve at the flow pipe to allow for heating...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock