Search the forum,

Discuss Vaillant Ecofit Pure frost protection in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

The installation manual says:

Frost protection

The appliance has a built in frost protection device that protects the boiler from freezing. With the gas and electric supplies ON and irrespective of any room thermostat setting, the frost protection device will operate the pump when the temperature of the boiler water falls below 12 °C. A timer is used so that the temperature can be checked periodically. After 10 minutes the pump will be stopped if the temperature is higher than 10 °C or has already reached 35 °C. The burner will activate if the boiler temperature does not reach 10 °C after 30 minutes or at any time if the temperature drops to 5 °C. The burner will switch off when the temperature reaches 35 °C.

So I think what it's saying is:

• Pumps runs if the water temp gets below 12C and periodically checks the water temp is between 10C and 35C
  • If it's then not above 10C, it will heat it to 35C (which will also heat the rads to 35C I presume, or will it only heat the core of the boiler?)

Reason I ask is that I set my house temp to 9.5C when I'm away. This is actually a Nest's default Eco temp and is ok for me. Will this mean in cold weather the boiler will be periodically firing up frost protection just to get the water to 35C even though the house temp is between 9.5C and 12C? This doesn't seem very efficient. And worse if I set my Eco temp lower to save more energy when I'm away (perhaps for days).

Seems odd that the boiler's "frost" protection system involves such high temps (especially being initially triggered to run the pump at 12C). That's a 'normal' frost-free temp in the UK and if there's little demand for heat or water, wouldn't the boiler temp often drop to 12C?!

Last edited:

Reply to Vaillant Ecofit Pure frost protection in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have an ideal vogue max S18 boiler and I’m considering fitting auto balancing TRVs, my question relates to the boilers pump. I see a boiler pump menu for either 70% or 100%, so, is the pump set at either one of two fixed speed percentages or does the pump actually vary speed, (modulate)...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock