Search the forum,

Discuss Vailant ecotec pro 28 pressure in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello.

I’ve lived in the property for 4 years and anytime the pressure got low (0.8 bar) I would use the fill taps to release more water into the system. Ever since British Gas did their annual boiler check about 3 months ago, I’ve had to do this too up method more and more. My pressure is now 1.8 bar which is too high but seems to lose pressure and need topping up every other day. I can’t see any leaks and the pressure reading isn’t changing so any ideas why I’m losing my hot water and heating until I let some more water into the system and then it fires straight back up?

Tbh better off calling a local gas safe engy out repair I think would be around £40 plus vat etc

So BG came round today and said 2.9 bar is ok!??!! I called back afterwards as that’s not what it says anywhere else and they are sending someone else tomorrow.

I drained the radiators and the reading was stuck at 1.7 bar so turned on the boiler without refilling as didn’t want to add more pressure. It made a lot of strange noises and smelled a bit funny but not of gas. I then checked the dial and it had zero pressure at all. I quickly filled it with some water from the full loop and it’s working again but worried I’ve done damage.

:D standard bg least they turned up I wouldn’t go off the digi guage go off a mechanical one

As the digi pressure sensor is fecked / blocked

Thanks, definitely a lesson learnt. Is it possible I’ve done damage starting it up with low pressure/hardly any water as believed it was at 1.7 bar? It made a real racket as though trying to flush water through and had a funny smell, not burning or gas though. I then filled with water but still not enough so made the same noise then I ended up filling up and seems ok now but worried it could have caused damage?

I’ve just turned it off now until BG come tomorrow.

Short term you are fine long term eg overheating sounds like an aircraft going over thumping and banging etc it would cause damage

Your expansion vessel inside the boiler needs checking for its correct pressure this needs to be done with the boiler drained it should be between 0.7 to 1 bar any reputable engineer can fix this if it's found to be ruptured it may need replacing and possibly a couple of smaller parts . Kop

Thanks for the reply, I will mention it to them tomorrow (they cancelled the appt). I have a feeling that it will be a repeat of the first appt whereby they will turn up, say there’s nothing they can see wrong from a quick visual inspection and leave 😩

Any tips on what I could say to make them stay and fix the actual issue? 😂

Ask for a senior repair engineer as the fault is still there

Also there in breach of contract as they haven’t repaired the boiler so you would like a refund on the repair and maintenance contract I’m guessing you went for this type

BG are not the company they once were I went to a install yesterday they fitted only just over a year ago looked rushed and lacked the finishing touches , the benchmark was unreadable and obviously completed in the van the first service should have been free but they could not service the boiler for the next six months apparently?? Another one I have on my books now . Kop

So BG checked the expansion vessel today and it was totally flat so recharged it and no water was coming out so was convinced it didn’t need replacing. The pressure looks like it’s starting to drop already though but hard to tell as apparently my pressure sensor needs replacing too which they should be doing on weds. What would cause the expansion vessel to do that if not damaged? If it is still dropping pressure, what next? 😅 Thanks again.

Replace the expansion vessel and I'd do the pressure relief valve aswell, give it a proper service not just a safety check take the burner out completely clean inside the heat exchanger clean the electrodes and flush through I've had a failed heat exchanger you will know if it absolutely filthy in there, the flow sensor is a common problem especially on systems without a magnetic filter or badly maintained without a inhibitor they clog up with system debris so if your systems dirty ? then it's likely to happen again . Kop

Attachments

• IMG_20200102_121315.jpg
    IMG_20200102_121315.jpg
    421.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20200102_122450.jpg
    IMG_20200102_122450.jpg
    637.2 KB · Views: 8
Replace the expansion vessel and I'd do the pressure relief valve aswell, give it a proper service not just a safety check take the burner out completely clean inside the heat exchanger clean the electrodes and flush through I've had a failed heat exchanger you will know if it absolutely filthy in there, the flow sensor is a common problem especially on systems without a magnetic filter or badly maintained without a inhibitor they clog up with system debris so if your systems dirty ? then it's likely to happen again . Kop
Thank you very much for the detailed reply. I will suggest all of this on weds, probably to a very surprised face 😂

ya but king of pipes, its british gas !!!!!!!! lol.
I know mate but I'm sick of people getting ripped off they do the bare minimum possible in my book prevention is better and cheaper than cure, service a boiler properly keep the water clean you won't go far wrong I've got over 80+ boilers and very rarely do I get a issue . 👍

Tbh they should have all these parts on the van

Shrader valve needs changing
Vaillant pressure sensor
Prv

As there common stock items

Hello. So a quick update…

Had the expansion vessel recharged and now seems ok. PRV ok. Pressure sensor replaced as faulty. Still loses pressure mostly when not in use. If I leave the house for any period it drops more. Have Dynarod coming out at some point next to see if they can detect a leak as British Gas are at a loss.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Would want the prv changing as they can not seal once opened

Reply to Vailant ecotec pro 28 pressure in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock