Search the forum,

Discuss Using black MDPE pipe instead of hose pipe and connecting it to an outside tap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sam1

My outside tap is at the front of the house and the garden I have to water is at the rear. I run the hose pipe by the shortest possible route. It runs up the front of the house, over the roof and down the rear of the house. This works fine but the hose pipe has to be renewed every few years because it deteriorates in the sun. That is quite a big job involving ladders etc so I'm thinking of using black MDPE pipe instead of hose pipe in the hope that it will last for years.

The hose connects to the tap via a typical brass connector which screwes onto the tap.

Installing an outside tap at the rear of the house is not an option.

There is no need for lagging/insulation because we isolate the outside tap once the weather starts getting cold.

Questions
1. Can you see any problems with replacing the hose pipe with black MDPE?
2. How can I connect the MDPE pipe to the tap?

Many thanks
Sam1

Last edited by a moderator:
Hope you have double check valves on outside tap as potential for contamination of water supply is high.
If you can take supply over roof, why not take it through roof with Hep2O or similar.
MDPE pipe is not as supple as garden hose and would have to be properly secured, radius over ridge etc.
Connection could be tee'd off existing with full flow lever ball valve and MDPE to copper fitting but double check valves again required on supply side of ball valve.
The more I type the more I wonder if this is a windup.

Where there's a will there's a way. Must be able to find a way of installing an outside tap at rear of property.

Given the choice between having a hosepipe or other, running up the front of the house, over the roof and back down, I'd sooner have it clipped to the walls inside from front to back and hang pictures on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Using black MDPE pipe instead of hose pipe and connecting it to an outside tap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock