Search the forum,

Discuss Using a vented hot water cylinder on an invented system in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,

Can you use a vented hot water cylinder on an unvented system?

Many Thanks,

Carl

Apart from possibly not able to withstand the higher pressures, they also won't have tappings for crucial safety devices.
If you're thinking of doing a DIY job, think again and get a professional in. If you want stored mains pressure hot water then you need a purpose built unvented cylinder.

If on the other hand, you just mean that a vented cylinder, with the secondary plumbed in conventionally to an open vent and cylinder feed cistern, is to have its primary coil connected to a sealed primary boiler circuit, then there is nothing wrong with that.

If on the other hand, you just mean that a vented cylinder, with the secondary plumbed in conventionally to an open vent and cylinder feed cistern, is to have its primary coil connected to a sealed primary boiler circuit, then there is nothing wrong with that.
A vented cylinder replacing an unvented cylinder, I assume this is a no go as mentioned above, a vented cylinder will not be able to withstand the pressure of mains water. Is this correct?

No you can’t as there only rated to 1 bar maximum

That's a no no I'm afraid , a sealed system on the primary side is sometimes ok but the coil needs to be able to withstand the high pressure this information is normally on the cylinder itself , a vented cylinder cannot be directly fed from the mains water supply it's not designed for that, you need a unvented cylinder which has safety devices fitted should there be a failure on your system. Kop

Just read on bords.ie where someone has just noticed that there is vented written on his "steel" HW cylinder which has been running unvented for the last 10 years, no details yet of any other requested info. It has a mains PRV and cylinder EV & a TPV.
Had a quick look at vented SS cylinders but don't see any info like you see for copper cylinders to reflect Grades 1,2&3 copper. My own copper vented cylinder conforms to Grade 3.

Grade 3 test pressure is 1.45 bar and is suitable for 10m working head

Grade 2 test pressure is 2.2 bar and is suitable for 15m working head

Grade 1 test pressure is 3.65 bar and is suitable for 25m working head

T and p on the cylinder ? If so it’s not vented

Reply to Using a vented hot water cylinder on an invented system in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I live in an apartment block where generally hot water is supplied from the communal hot water cylinder and cold water to bathrooms is supplied from cold water tanks in the loft. It is a vented system. However, in a basement flat and a ground floor flat cold water supply to bathrooms is...
Replies
Views
Afternoon. I have an issue with no water flow from any of the hot taps in the house, I can't seem to find a solution to the issue. System is a megaflo unvented indirect cylinder (125i) boiler is a Worcester greenstar. I have good pressure on the cold feed and all the usual stuff works, taps...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm in my new build 2 years and the shower pump has died. I have an air to water unit downstairs is in the utility which I've been told is unvented and pressurised. The cold water feed into this cylinder is from the attic tank, not the mains as I turned off the mains stopcock to see if hot...
Replies
Views
I recently installed new hot and cold feeds to a new downstairs cloakroom. After refilling the system the hot taps were all dribbling, spluttering and showing signs of an air lock. I attached cold mains to a hot tap and left it running for 15 minutes, while opening up each hot tap. They all...
Replies
Views
I need to change my shower mixer and I have a unvented hot water cylinder. Is it sufficient to turn off the mains? Do I need to drain the cylinder? Thanks
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock