Search the forum,

Discuss Urgent help please - waste pipe issue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi Guys,

Got a issue with a kitchen sink.

I Installed a new island kitchen sink not long ago and they have been having problems with the drainage of the sink. Basic Bowl and a half sink, standard mcalpine trap, small section of pipe horizontal out of trap then one inch half elbow, then another small section of pipe vertically which then goes into a main drain under unit. Simple.

Or so i thought.

Now when the customer drains the sink it takes for ever to drain, bubbles appear to come up.

Now this 4inch drain in the ground was moved slightly by a builder as this sink was newly installed in a new extension. The rest of the house doesn't have an outside vent pipe, it just has an AAV in the bathroom upstairs.

I have tried everything to get the sink draining properly, installed a small aav under kitchen sink, thought that might help, It didn't. Re piped it all, took aav off upstairs to allow air in, still nothing. I took drain covers off outside and water was definitely running from sink into drain (slowly).

Now I'm out of ideas as to why this is happening. My original thought was it needs some kind of outside vent pipe but I thought the aav in bathroom would be adequate enough, even when I took it off the pipe nothing was happening.

The builder claims he rodded the drain and there was no blockage.

There seems to be some sort of negative pressure build up as when I filled the sink, I drained it, then I cut the pipework under the sink unit and air was escaping out then allowing the water to flow out of the sink. But I can't understand how there is so much of a pressure build up even when I've got drain covers lifted or aav off.

Any help or ideas would be great!

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Dan
There must be a blockage all the symptoms Are there try a ropump to clear it or or failing that strip out the trap and pour some one shot down the pipe safety glasses gloves a must and keep well away when pouring leave for a hour replace the trap and run hot water down the sink . Kop

There is one common denominator here....The Builder....and his lot....plasterer....tiler
it really seems to be blocked....make it clear to your customer....but take the high ground and offer to clear the drain....at extra cost....there must be a rodding eye, access or manhole get a camera up there show customer. centralheatking

Just get someone in with a drain camera.

It may reveal how the builder 'slightly' moved the waste.

There's obviously a problem, so the camera will tell you what & where.

I have some great pics and videos of what have caused blockages and drains.
I should some!!!

Just get someone in with a drain camera.

It may reveal how the builder 'slightly' moved the waste.

There's obviously a problem, so the camera will tell you what & where.

I have some great pics and videos of what have caused blockages and drains.
I should some!!!
Post some oz I love that sort of thing esp. when it makes others squirm and go uck
there is a tasty one by Yorkshire Water of a downstairs bog upwelling during a flood
nice music as well...centralheatking
[automerge]1571141265[/automerge]
Yorkshire Water ...Bathroom Flood...U Tube...its a cracker maybe Dan can make a link thats
beyond me....centralheatking
[automerge]1571141739[/automerge]
98775CE6-311E-422B-A44F-BB3022A25CF5.png

Last edited by a moderator:
No problem. I think I'll give watching it a miss though! 🤢🤮

Sorry for the thread hijack, back on topic now!

Reply to Urgent help please - waste pipe issue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock