Search the forum,

Discuss upstairs rad on (when heating off) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jennie

Gas Engineer
Hi everyone,
My customer has an unvented cylinder, with two two-port valves.
At night, she's noticed her bedroom rad (the rad nearest the cylinder) stays on when heating is turned off. The hot water in the cylinder is the correct temperature (i.e., not overheating, so cylinder stat and two-port valve must be OK). Central heating is otherwise OK - all rads get hot.
I'm puzzling over it.
If when the hot water was being heated, the central heating 2-port valve was letting by, surely the pump would distribute the heat to all the rads, not just one or two. So I'm not sure it's the hw valve at fault.
The only reason I can think of is that the boiler is producing too much heat - maybe it isn't turning off properly when both hw and ch demand are off? And the excess heat is going up the return pipe to the rad?
Any ideas anyone?
Jennie.

Let it go cold, call for just hot water and feel the pipe just after the S plan valve to radiators, see if it starts to rise in temperature.

Has it always been a hot radiator or is it a fault only recently? Could it have been a radiator they used as a bypass so will come on with both hot water and central heating demand from boiler?

Last edited:
It's possible that there is an unintended convection loop from the HW cylinder coil to the radiator and back. There should be a valve somewhere in the loop to stop this but it may be missing or letting by. Not uncommon if it was once a vented systems with a bypass radiator that's been modernised incorrectly. It's more usual IME for a bathroom heated towel-rail to have been used as the bypass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to upstairs rad on (when heating off) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock