Search the forum,

Discuss Upstairs fine, downstairs mainly cold in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DGClarke1

I have a Vaillant 30Kw System Boiler. It's a fully pumped and pressurized system.

There is a hot water storage tank in an airing cupboard upstairs, with a single zone valve that allows hot water into the entire CH system, or stops it.

All the upstairs radiators get hot, but only a very few of the downstairs radiators do. The pipe on the flow side of the circuit coming down to feed the downstairs is very hot, but the return is only luke warm. ]

If you feel the valves on the radiators downstairs, they are hot on the flow side and cool on the return.

The 28mm flow and the return pipes from the boiler to the airing cupboard are both hot.

I would appreciate any thoughts anyone may have on this.

Circulation issue. Could be a failing pump or sludge or issue with rad valves.

Common problem in autumn, after heating been shut down for summer. Sludge in system, sticking TRVs and motorized valves not fully opening. A rebalance of rads may be necessary, but 1st get circulation going by manually opening motorized valves, removing heads of trvs on cold rads to ensure pins move freely and close down hot rads to force circulation through the remainder, even if it means having only one rad open at a time. Very often once circulation is restored, nothing else is necessary, apart from making a mental note to chemically clean and flush system at a time convenient to the household and whilst heating is still in use.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Upstairs fine, downstairs mainly cold in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock