Search the forum,

Discuss UPDATE: Plumbers apparently not meant to be going to customers homes unless emergency callout?! in the General Off-Topic Chat area at PlumbersForums.net

Lou

-
Staff member
Esteemed
Admin
Subscribed
UPDATE: Plumbers apparently not meant to be going to customers homes unless emergency callout?!

This was after further questioning to the prime minister. I'm trying to find the actual video or article for you.

Advice for the ongoing COVID-19 outbreak. Please be aware: as this is an ever changing situation information may be updated, amended and added on a regular basis.

UPDATED 23 MARCH - Until the announcement made by the UK Prime Minister on 23rd March, restricting people to their homes, we have continued to operate gas safety inspections and investigations, focusing on the highest risks. Our inspectors have been taking a range of precautions to protect the public and engineers that they come into contact with, as well as themselves; based on the guidance provided to businesses and the public on Gov.uk.
What do the new restrictions announced by the UK Government mean for gas engineers?
The HSE is currently seeking guidance from Cabinet Office on what gas engineering services and scenarios are considered essential for the next 3 weeks; for example, attending emergency breakdown or imminent safety situations. As soon as more definitive guidance is available, we will publish this.
As of the evening of 23rd March, we now anticipate suspending the majority of Gas Safety inspections. We expect to continue Gas Safety Investigations, but will confirm this soon, once we the guidance from Cabinet Office and HSE on what they need from the industry to support the nation.
We had already suspended all of our Inspection Events for the time being, and are looking at suitable alternatives to attending an event in person. This work will continue, and we will communicate details of these as soon as they have been decided.
General Information: Inspections
Where inspections or investigations must take place, our inspectors are taking a range for precautions to protect the public and engineers that they come into contact with, as well as themselves. These are based on the guidance provided on Gov.uk, and include;
  • Personal protective equipment, frequent handwashing with soap or use of alcohol hand sanitising gel.
  • Inspectors visiting sites, confirm prior to entering the property, whether anyone is anyone is self-isolating, or has been in contact with anyone who has been diagnosed with COVID19 or has recently gone into self-isolation?
  • If the answer is ‘yes’, then the inspection will be cancelled and recorded as an aborted visit and held for rescheduling at a later date.
  • In addition, if the inspector visiting a site suspects anything that makes them feels uncomfortable with the situation then they can retreat from site and follow the steps above.
In accordance with Government guidance, any member of Gas Safe Register staff residing in a household where another person has symptoms, or presenting symptoms themselves, will self-isolate for 14 days.
General Information: Gas Safe Register service
Gas Safe Register Customer Services and Technical Helpline will be operating reduced hours for the foreseeable future as a result of the COVID-19 situation. Hours of operation will be Mon-Fri 09:00 – 17:00.
Our services for businesses and consumers continue to available via our website 24/7, and through and automated telephone service.
COVID-19: Advice for landlords  
UPDATE 23 March 2020
We are aware that the new restrictions announced by the UK Prime Minister on leaving your own home and avoidance of any social contact will reduce the ability for landlords to arrange annual safety checks. We are working with the HSE to provide new guidance specific to this 3-week period.

Landlords have a legal duty to repair and maintain gas pipework, flues and appliances in a safe condition, to ensure an annual gas safety check on each appliance and flue, and to keep a record of each safety check. 
If you anticipate difficulties in gaining access as the COVID-19 situation progresses, you have the flexibility to carry out annual gas safety checks two months before the deadline date. Landlords can have the annual gas safety checks at their properties carried out any time from 10 to 12 calendar months after the previous check and still retain the original deadline date as if the check had been carried out exactly 12 months after the previous check.   
You are encouraged to arrange your annual gas safety checks as early as possible, as a contingency against tenants being in self-isolation for a period of 14-days (in line with current guidelines), or gas engineers being unavailable due to illness. The two-month period to carry out annual gas safety checks should provide adequate resilience in most situations.
In the event you are unable to gain access to the property, e.g. persistent refusal of access due to vulnerable tenants self-isolating, you will be expected to be able to demonstrate that you took reasonable steps to comply with the law. This will need to include records of communication with the tenant and details of your engineers attempts to gain access. 
Registered Businesses/Engineers
  1. I am a registered gas engineer, what advice is there in relation to COVID-19 risks and implications of working in people’s homes etc during this period? Our advice is that you should be following the most up to date guidance issued by Government provided via the following link: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-to-employers-and-businesses-about-covid-19
  2. My ACS certification is due to expire soon, and I cannot arrange for assessment because my assessment centre is in lock-down due to COVID-19 precautions, can I legally carry out gas work without valid and current ACS certification until I am able to get re-certification? We have had reports that some ACS assessment centres have closed due to COVID-19, resulting in engineers being unable to take their ACS reassessment. Engineers are expected to take all reasonable measures to maintain their ACS qualifications, including planning ahead where possible. Maintaining gas safety competence is essential for registered gas engineers. If assessment centres have enough staff and customers to keep functioning, they should do so and follow Gov.uk advice on good hygiene and encouraging engineers not to attend if they should be self-isolating. If engineers take all reasonable steps to update their expired ACS certification as soon as possible, and continue to work safely, HSE will permit registered gas engineers to remain on the Register for an additional period during the peak of the Coronavirus (COVID-19) measures. Engineers may be required to demonstrate that they have taken reasonable steps to renew their qualifications. Engineers MUST maintain their Gas Safe registration during any extension of their ACS qualification period if they are carrying out gas work.This is a temporary measure and does not remove the standing requirement for registered gas engineers to maintain their ACS certification and renew certification every 5 years.
  3. Do I need to obtain customer signatures on documentation e.g. Warning Notices etc? I have concerns over putting myself or my customers at increased by doing so? No, you do not. Regulation 36 of the GSIUR relating to Landlord Gas Safety Records does not specify that a signature is required from the recipient, only from the engineer undertaking the safety checks.
  4. What is Gas Safe Register’s position on extending the renewal period as a result of the on-going COVID-19 situation? There is no extension of your registration period as a result of the COVID-19 situation.This is a difficult decision but has been made in recognition that most businesses will have budgeted for this known business overhead, will still be undertaking some gas work, or can opt for a Direct Debit payment option.
  5. Are gas engineers critical workers? We have had a range of queries around whether gas engineers are critical workers or not, and we have seen a range of conflicting opinions offered by different organisations.As of 23rd March, the most comprehensive advice is available at: Department for Education - https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/department-for-educationWhere these queries relates to the question of provision of emergency school places, we are not in a position to comment, as (a) every engineers situation is different, (b) each situation is also about the specific schools' capacity to provide places to the most vulnerable children and to critical workers. We understand many schools are using a triage system, based around nature of parent/ guardians job roles, and ability for the child to be kept at home safely with a responsible person. The intent to also keep as many children at home as possible, to reduce the spread of the virus.
Businesses who are otherwise impacted financially as a result of COVID-19 should access the various support mechanisms which have been put into effect by Government: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-to-employers-and-businesses-about-covid-19/covid-19-support-for-businesses
If you are unable to undertake gas work because you are a high-risk category person due to your age or an underlying medical condition etc, and you are following Government guidance to not put yourself at higher risk, please let us know immediately and we will suspend your registration until you advise us that you are returning to gas work.
IMPORTANT: During any suspension period, you must not carry out any gas work. If any gas work is carried out by you whilst your registration is suspended, even temporarily, this will be a breach of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations and you may be liable to prosecution.

Hello fellers

Should we be doing Landlords Gas Certs before they expire or just leaving tenants at risk because of this virus? Got a couple today need doing.
[automerge]1585038043[/automerge]
Sorry missed that previous mammoth post!

Just to save it being missed above;

My ACS certification is due to expire soon,
HSE will permit registered gas engineers to remain on the Register for an additional period during the peak of the Coronavirus (COVID-19) measures. Engineers may be required to demonstrate that they have taken reasonable steps to renew their qualifications. Engineers MUST maintain their Gas Safe registration during any extension of their ACS qualification period if they are carrying out gas work.This is a temporary measure and does not remove the standing requirement for registered gas engineers to maintain their ACS certification and renew certification every 5 years.

Also note Car and Van MOTs and servicing / breakdown as normal, lorries get 3 month extension on MOTs

Advice for the ongoing COVID-19 outbreak.
This is very helpful, but can you clearly cite the origin and date of publication of this advice and any similar posts, please? There's a big difference between advice that's published by official bodies, such as the NHS, HSE, etc. and people's personal opinion of what they think it means and I like/need to know which I'm reading.

Well what a nightmare this has turned to be , in the process for getting security clearance to start a new job very soon.
Spoke to the new boss about 2 weeks ago and he was trying to speed up process, i had to stop my advertising as it was due to pay anotther year . So last couple weeks have been on tickover waiting for start date anytime now. Next thing new job is in lockdown , everyone in lockdown, and i qualify for 94 quid a week ffs.

Cheers China
[automerge]1585079007[/automerge]
Sorry should of said 'we'

Last edited:
Regulation 36 I was not aware of. Attended a gas escape today after SGN capped the meter. Hob was At Risk. Got my signature today but this is handy to know.

Daft idea. My plumber came round to service my boiler, he wore a mask, we all sat outside while he did the work and he invoiced me online.
I need a safe, good working boiler, he needs the money!

UPDATE: Plumbers apparently not meant to be going to customers homes unless emergency callout?!

This was after further questioning to the prime minister. I'm trying to find the actual video or article for you.
Determine an emergency.cistern not filling ... blocked sink unit...slight drip from a fitting...these could be emergencys OR maybe not.who decides lol

Daft idea. My plumber came round to service my boiler, he wore a mask, we all sat outside while he did the work and he invoiced me online.
I need a safe, good working boiler, he needs the money!

Not to gov advice but personally I dont see anything wrong with that .

Determine an emergency.cistern not filling . blocked sink unit...slight drip from a fitting...these could be emergencys OR maybe not.who decides lol
We decide, it is our life not yours! Cistern not filling - Is it the only toilet and can you fill it from a bucket or bowl of water? If the answer is yes then it can wait!!!!! And the other two example can never be classed as worth risking my life for.

Had a message this morning. Kitchen sinks dripping needs new inserts, bought some inserts, in all day. Got a load of crap when I said I wouldn't do it and why I wouldn't do it.

Even if I was working it wouldn't be classed as an emergency.

I’m doing any work that is beneficial to my business, customers and family. if I get grant off the government to sit at home I may reconsider my position. I value earning a crust for my young family far higher then the lives of old sick people I don’t even know.

I value earning a crust for my young family far higher then the lives of old sick people I don’t even know.

That is a ridiculous thing to say. These "old sick people" are you customers who allow you to earn the money in the first place. Your family isnt immune to the virus either. Lastly if everyone had your attitude the virus would be everywhere you should be grateful there are people who actually take this seriously and have correct priorities.

I think some common sense is required, my oil fired central heating and domestic hot water has a problem, the boiler is in a flat under the house, was originally a garage, so the oil boiler service guy is coming on Thursday, flat will be left unlocked for him, and will not be used for 24 hours at least after he leaves, we will talk using a baby alarm or mobile phones, there is no risk to either him or me, if the boiler was in the main house then yes there would be a problem, however if it was in the main house I could live with it tripping out every so often as would not need to get dressed and leave the house walk down a flight of steps and enter the flat to reset it.

Can anyone clarify if landlord gas safety checks are suspended or not as work in social housing & it ain't pretty & constantly get grief from tenants for attending CP12 appointments booked in for me.

What do we all think on BJs latest speech? does that mean we carry out work in customers homes?
For me, I think he's being very vague and is dangling a sting until he can answer more questions in parliament tomorrow.

I’m doing any work that is beneficial to my business, customers and family. if I get grant off the government to sit at home I may reconsider my position. I value earning a crust for my young family far higher then the lives of old sick people I don’t even know.

Jesus wept I have only just seen this , is it a joke ??? , because if it is , its the worse post I have ever seen on here .

What do we all think on BJs latest speech? does that mean we carry out work in customers homes?
For me, I think he's being very vague and is dangling a sting until he can answer more questions in parliament tomorrow.
No restrictions lifted at all, earliest review 1st June this is on the extreme end of what he could possibly announce. Essentially we wont be going back to normal, and maybe start going back to normal in June but only in very small steps that can be rolled back.
First Bojo announcement was like someone cut off our phone line, only had phonecalls to cancel work. This announcement will dig the hole even deeper - customers finances tight, no end of lockdown in sight. Only saving grace is its not a busy time of year anyway.

Think he said nothing has changed and we are all in The same position as before

Interpretation, is the key word.
Luckily I dont have to interpret, as I am having to shield.
I expect to be back to work in three to four weeks time, I have a number of jobs that customers still need doing. However I will be treating everything as being contagious, plenty of hand sanitizer, social distancing whilst at a customers and ultimately protecting myself, my family and my customers.

These plans though will be subject to the numbers decreasing.

The virus is amongst us. Call on friday from the mother in laws nursing home. They've had their first positive test of a resident. The homes been locked down for 2 months, somebody's not followed the rules somewhere. A mate of mine works for patient transport. Just worked 11 shifts in 14 days with the same bloke, who yesterday tested positive for the virus. Luckily he got his result today, negative.

A group of friends tonight on whatsapp were discussing their interpretation of the relaxing of the exercise rules on Wednesday and planning their rounds of golf and the opening of the golf course on wednesday. That's a big massive no from me.

Spoke to few people on social media tonight and everybody was of the same mind, not changing anything in their lockdown routines just yet.

Stay safe everybody.

Ultimately everyone makes their own judgement dependent on perceived risks. Good plumbers are experts at risk assessment.

I am confused though as I thought Boris said everyone who can't work from home can go back to work this week (ok confusion over today or weds . . .)

Apologies to all, I'm sure I missed a bit somewhere. Anybody know where the detailed 50 page doc is. Should be avail now (from 2pm)

That is a ridiculous thing to say. These "old sick people" are you customers who allow you to earn the money in the first place. Your family isnt immune to the virus either. Lastly if everyone had your attitude the virus would be everywhere you should be grateful there are people who actually take this seriously and have correct priorities.

Like I said, my family must come first, I don’t fear the virus and immunity is the only way forward. You know what the kicker is in all this...I’ve been getting loads of old “high risk” elderly people calling me out because can’t get British Gas etc! Fitted two boilers this week, got two next....win win
[automerge]1589526838[/automerge]
What you gonna do? Sit round waiting for BJ to make a next speech...f*** that I have confidence in my own judgement thanks. My family will be fine...Dads 76 on usual 3-5 mile few times a week, we all good mate.
[automerge]1589527087[/automerge]
Like I said, my family must come first, I don’t fear the virus and immunity is the only way forward. You know what the kicker is in all this...I’ve been getting loads of old “high risk” elderly people calling me out because can’t get British Gas etc! Fitted two boilers this week, got two next....win win
What you gonna do? Sit round waiting for BJ to make a next speech...f*** that I have confidence in my own judgement thanks. My family will be fine...Dads 76 on usual 3-5 mile runs few times a week, we all good mate.

Last edited:
What you gonna do? Sit round waiting for BJ to make a next speech...f*** that I have confidence in my own judgement thanks. My family will be fine...Dads 76 on usual 3-5 mile few times a week, we all good mate.
[automerge]1589527087[/automerge]

I am lost for words with your opinion , you are one selfish ignorant **** and if I knew you I would say-it to your face believe me .

I am lost for words with your opinion , you are one selfish ignorant **** and if I knew you I would say-it to your face believe me .

I don’t see how attending to customers (including vulnerable people) is selfish. They requested my services and I want the work, I’m not forcing any down doors here. Don’t under estimate the healing qualities of good looking young gas man.

Look on the news, the government does not know if they’re coming or going, meanwhile the economy is going down the pan. A whole generation of kids education suffering.

“The show must go on”

It makes no difference to me if you agree with me or not...online or not. My papers going up! in fact please stay at home and thank you.

Well, I was back to work on Monday after 6 weeks on Furlough.

I must add..... I am not returning through choice!

We still had a number of guys working on and carrying out essential repair work throughout this period.

My employer consulted Gas Safe, Government & Solicitors in an attempt to look for some advice on wither LGSC work was essential and we had to carry on as normal.

Gas Safe never changed their stance and say every attempt must still be made to carry out these CP12's for the Housing contracts we have on our books.

Most of our work is housing contracts and they were pressurising us to carry on as normal.

Unless the tenants point blank refuse entry at door or state someone within property has symptoms we have been told we must carry on as normal.

We obviously take every precaution when in property including asking tenant to stay well away preferably in another room when we are in.

I have found most of tenants have been told by housing they MUST give us access so only about 3 tenants refused last week.

Disgusted at Gas Safe/Governments attitude here!!!!

Reply to UPDATE: Plumbers apparently not meant to be going to customers homes unless emergency callout?! in the General Off-Topic Chat area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock