Search the forum,

Discuss Unvented tank drip trays.... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

I’ve never seen an unvented tank (or any tank) in the UK installed on a drip pan. This is pretty common in the US though. As someone who’s unvented tank in the loft leaked (through a cracked immersion element unit) and flooded a bedroom below it seems like a simple safety precaution...

[IMG]

Is there some good reason why this isn’t common practice. Plumbing the outflow from the pan into an overflow like the tundish is plumbed into seems pretty straightforward.

TBH no reason but me personally I think it should be done

No word of a lie, my old boss tried producing the product. Just simple square plastic trays with a connection for overflow pipe, also for properties with central tanks He had an alarm system that would go off if water entered the tray. He couldn't get a patent on it due to similar items overseas but he did spend a few thousand getting some samples made. He spoke to loads of merchants like plumb centre, Travis Perkins etc. He even contacted home insurers to to see if it would be something they would push on homeowner in the event of a tank leak. And no one was interested in selling the product.

I guess the unvented manufacturers don’t push it because it would imply their products might fail. In the US the aluminium trays see to be the way instead of plastic because they can take the tank weight and don’t warp when hot water actually fills them during a leak.

Can’t actually seem to buy them in the UK though. Have to ship it from the US at vast expense relative to the cost of the product. Unless anyone knows a UK supplier?

No word of a lie, my old boss tried producing the product. Just simple square plastic trays with a connection for overflow pipe, also for properties with central tanks He had an alarm system that would go off if water entered the tray. He couldn't get a patent on it due to similar items overseas but he did spend a few thousand getting some samples made. He spoke to loads of merchants like plumb centre, Travis Perkins etc. He even contacted home insurers to to see if it would be something they would push on homeowner in the event of a tank leak. And no one was interested in selling the product.
Shame there’s no interest. I’m sure leaks are rare, but a £20 tray like this would have saved me £££ in cleanup, dehumidifying, carpets, ceilings....

Also - maybe for the unvented forum - given the price of the manufacturers immersion element I wouldn’t have expected it to spring a leak from some kind of pinhole after only 18months....

Can get them easy

I’ve never seen an unvented tank (or any tank) in the UK installed on a drip pan. This is pretty common in the US though. As someone who’s unvented tank in the loft leaked (through a cracked immersion element unit) and flooded a bedroom below it seems like a simple safety precaution...

Is there some good reason why this isn’t common practice. Plumbing the outflow from the pan into an overflow like the tundish is plumbed into seems pretty straightforward.

I think the reason they would be popular in the US and Canada is because many hot water cylinders are just mild steel tanks with a flame at the bottom and a tube up the middle which connects to the flue. They run until they start to leak, which is usually about 10 years, if you remember to change the sacrificial anode regularly.

Reply to Unvented tank drip trays.... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock