Search the forum,

Discuss Unvented system services in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, I've moved into a flat which has an unvented hot water system and have been told by 3 different plumbers (only 1 has g3) that there's no need to service it. Is this correct?
I've also just noticed water leaking from underneath the expansion tank and been told this isn't a serviceable part so will need replacing. Is this true and how much should I expect to pay?
Thanks in advance

no incorrect needs to be done yearly

as for the repair dont know havent seen it sorry best get a couple of prices etc

If the water is leaking from the expansion vessel down to rust , not an actual fitting or connection, replace it ASAP .
Definitely should be serviced , I am a bit worried about the one that has G3 .

Engineers can't really provide such guidance so easily. Why did the plumbers say it doesn't need servicing? And why three of them? Are you struggling to get somebody to actually come and have a look at it?

Engineers can't really provide such guidance so easily. Why did the plumbers say it doesn't need servicing? And why three of them? Are you struggling to get somebody to actually come and have a look at it?
The plumber who fitted it was quite abrupt and said he hasn't got time to service it. I spoke with 2 other plumbers (who don't have g3) which said it didn't really need servicing, just check black plastic cone shape section isn't wet inside. Spoke to another plumber a couple of days ago who says he has g3 and he also said that there's nothing to really service. I'm confused

I can see your reasoning for asking then.
It's over my head to be fair I'm not an engineer.

Frustrating that the guy who fitted it couldn't service it!!

Post a thread here with enough detail as possible. And area etc. Leave contact info out and just to private messaging. Agencies scour the forum.

It's more like a safety check tbh. For the system to work safely it has to operate at certain pressures and have correctly working controls installed in the correct way. Cleaning the strainer, checking supply pressure setting, safety devices operate, expansion vessels are charged etc... Some areas with hard water may need immersion descaling. The cylinders instructions will give you advise on maintenance.

It's more like a safety check tbh. For the system to work safely it has to operate at certain pressures and have correctly working controls installed in the correct way. Cleaning the strainer, checking supply pressure setting, safety devices operate, expansion vessels are charged etc... Some areas with hard water may need immersion descaling. The cylinders instructions will give you advise on maintenance.
Thank you. That was very helpful

Reply to Unvented system services in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Hi All, what's the cost of a service for an unvented system ? (valiant boiler & mega flow cylinder). I was charged ÂŁ320.00, for the following: Boiler service - no parts changed. Change wireless thermostat (honeywell to Tado), I supplied the thermostat starter kit. is that about correct ? Also...
Replies
Views
G
I recently had a service on my worcester bosch boiler by Warmserve supposedly reputable which is under guarantee and before the service I had no problems but straight after the service I had a leak from the boiler which when the service engineer came back told me I needed a new condensate trap...
Replies
Views
hello we have an unvented system. we have an issue where the hot water is hot for 10 seconds and then luke warm, turn off taps / wait and turn back and it repeats itself. had boiler checked and told it was the expansion vessel. Had the expansion vessel drained and recharged. plumber told me...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have an unvented water heater which for some reason every year causes me issues. At the end of 2023 I noticed that the pressure valve gauge was going up when the water tank was switched on. My local plumber came and re-pressured the expansion vessel as it was flat, afterwards we tested...
Replies
Views
T
Hi We urgently need to get our h/w cylinder replaced because it's leaking. Our current system is oil boiler feeding underfloor downstairs, radiators upstairs and an unvented hot water cylinder for hot water. We are thinking of moving to a heat pump at some point but aren't ready to do this. My...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock