Search the forum,

Discuss Unvented system or Thermal Heat Store? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dguupy

We are moving to a new house soon and the hot water system needs a complete overhaul. Having read various forums about Unvented systems versus Thermal Heat stores I am fairly convinced that from an installation and maintenance angle the Heat store is the way to go? Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks

I really don't like thermal stores. The only advantage over an unvented cylinder is that there is no requirement for a registered installer. I'd rather have a combi than a thermal store.

Mike

depends on house size /no of occupants/bathrooms etc, i prefer unvented, plus you will be glad of it if you get a good quality shower, nothing beats it.

depends on house size /no of occupants/bathrooms etc, i prefer unvented, plus you will be glad of it if you get a good quality shower, nothing beats it.
if anything the thermal store will give the better shower as it will be full mains preasure where as all unventeds reduce the preasure ive got an old gledhill boilermate thermal store which works great no need to run a saftey valve out no trv to go wrong no preasure reducer and as stated no need for another 200 quid licence to fit it

call me dumb, but is a thermal heat store, not exactly the same as a cylinder (open vented ) but piped up backwards? ie the cylinder is full of hot water ( central heating water ) and then our primary coils supplies the hot water tap.
ive read about them i think but never came across one.
please let me know how wrong i am?!
if thats true then the only difference i see is vented/unvented and paperwork, the pressure differential losses cant be obseenly different?

shaun

call me dumb, but is a thermal heat store, not exactly the same as a cylinder (open vented ) but piped up backwards? ie the cylinder is full of hot water ( central heating water ) and then our primary coils supplies the hot water tap.
ive read about them i think but never came across one.
please let me know how wrong i am?!
if thats true then the only difference i see is vented/unvented and paperwork, the pressure differential losses cant be obseenly different?

shaun
with an unvented cylinder you fit a preasure limiting valve which caps the preasure at 3 bar
the heat store doesnt have this and can run at whatever mains preasure you have available
its basicly as you say but its a direct cylinder with a large coil in the top of the cylinder for the main
later models have a plate heatexchangers external and use the hot water from the store to feed it via a pump and flow swith the amount of stored hot water males them deliver better flow rates than a combi

cheers steve, dont think i will be needing 1 anytime soon then, sounds like lots of extra bits added to achieve the same effect.ta
shaun

Hi dguupy
if its any help I have recently been installing unvented air source hot water cylinders, and they are cracking pieces of kit, a bit more expensive than a megaflow but in the long term they will definatly reduce your fuel bill let me know if you would like more info
Regards
Mike

Hi dguupy
if its any help I have recently been installing unvented air source hot water cylinders, and they are cracking pieces of kit, a bit more expensive than a megaflow but in the long term they will definatly reduce your fuel bill let me know if you would like more info
Regards
Mike
these are blinding ,things keep getting beter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Unvented system or Thermal Heat Store? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock