Search the forum,

Discuss Unvented Indirect Cylinder - wiring on hot pipe - see photo in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gromit

Cylinder 3.jpgCylinder 1.jpgCylinder 2.jpgHi All,

Just had an indirect unvented cylinder installed together with a system boiler. The engineer has attached the wiring to a hot water pipe. Is this ok? It looks a bit odd to me. In fact all those long horizontal pipes seem a bit strange. What do you think? Thanks for looking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi. The slack in the loop allows ease of maintenance/ replacement and less likley to be snagged during every day use of the cupboard. Looks about standard for domestic work.

Thank you Sir. My main worry was the wires being on a hot pipe - just wondered if the heat could affect them.

Plus the pipework looked a bit odd to me somehow - I thought he'd have installed the cylinder further to the right. Thing is the guy was Gas Safe - I looked at his card, but he didn't talk good English, mainly Polish so difficult to ask questions.

It don't look to bad actually but pipework should of been lagged

if hed done it further to the right he wouldnt have got access to the old pipes behind , it looks ok to me,

That's lovely - thank you all. I'll lag the pipes. This is what I like about forums like this - good informative advice from people with combined experience running into decades.

Gas and water pipes are for carrying gas and water, not for a lazy excuss of sparks toclip his wires too. Let the sparks buy some cleats and trunking. Hot pipes are not good for wires They heat up like an electric fire especialy when under load.

17th ed states min 50mm anyway doesn't it? Or is it 50 I can't remember offf the top of my head

Thank you both. I was thinking the same - pure laziness. It is unbelievable - even without knowing the regs I thought it was a ridiculous thing to do. So many trades go the short cut way. I like people who do things by the book.

Its funny,

people moan about regs but they all make sense to me. We except a few odd ventilation ones. They are all common sense hey. Cheers gromit

is it heat resistant flex? if so shouldnt be a problem.

also, whats the litreage of the cylinder, looks very big, how many outlets/bathrooms/kitchen etc?

Thank you Sir. My main worry was the wires being on a hot pipe - just wondered if the heat could affect them.

Plus the pipework looked a bit odd to me somehow - I thought he'd have installed the cylinder further to the right. Thing is the guy was Gas Safe - I looked at his card, but he didn't talk good English, mainly Polish so difficult to ask questions.

Its clear that this was supplied as a 'package' (a box of parts) and not a factory assembled 'unit' however from your photos it's very hard to tell if it has been correctly assembled. The fact that your plumber has left the pipework unlagged may at first seem a trivial concern but it is evident that he is perhaps not fully up to date with current building regs. The unvented qualification requires renewal every 5 years, Part L has required the lagging of cylinder pipes upto 1m since at least 1995.
When you checked his gas safe card did you check the back of it and did it state unvented hotwater cylinders G3? If you didn't check then you can still check on the Gas Safe register website, if he's not qualified then they should be informed.
I'm not a spark but I do know that temperature can effect electrical resistance and so I'm fairly confident that those cables (at best) are poorly installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Unvented Indirect Cylinder - wiring on hot pipe - see photo in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock