Search the forum,

Discuss Unvented Discharge - Basement Solution Req in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tmathew

Dear all,

SITUATION
I have a client wanting to install a Heatrea Sadia Electromax (Electric combi boiler with 180L integrated unvented cylinder) in a basement.

Client does not want to relocate boiler to ground level nor has natural gas supply. Currently has an oil fired boiler boiler but wants to remove due to tank siting issues.

PROBLEM
The problem arises with providing a safe discharge to ground level wich is up approx 2m.

As unvented installers will know the discharge has to fall in a continous path to a safe acceptable point - i need to go up 2m to ground level, cope with 95 degree temp discharge water at 20 litres per min.

I spoke with Heatrae technical and they confirmed that it is acceptable to use a breaktank/pumping solution.

I then spoke with Grundfos for a pumping solution (upon Heatrae recommendation) but unfortunately grundfos said that they would have to make a bespoke unit which would cost in the region of £1000. Whilst this may be a solution I am sure that there must be a product avail for cheaper.

Does anyone have any experience of this situation or know of a pumping solution which is available of the shelf?

Thanks

Trevor

would something on the lines of a condense pump not do you?
it is made for pumping condense out of basements etc. as long as your discharge falls correctly to the pump i dont for see any bother?

Trevor
The installation of an unvented cylinder and D1/D2 discharge pipe for which you refer is covered by building regs. I don't know if you have the ticket to install these, but if not be very carefull. Manufacturers instructions superceed building regs but I have never seen this type of system in the UV cylinder installation instructions. Maybe it's worth a call to your local building control?
Steve

Hi Steve,

Fortunately I have my unvented ticket and would never recommend that anyone who does not possess this qualification do an unvented install - it would be extremely dangerous to say the least is things went wrong!!

I have never encountered this type of request hence the post. All of my other unvented installs have been straightforward however the manufacturer, Heatrae Sadia, advised me that this has been done before (under local building control approval) but where I get the kit from is another story.

Any ideas would be welcome.

Thanks

Trevor

Would 3 bar of presuure not push the water out of the discharge pipe?
not sure there you could use a condense pump due to temperatures and the problem if the pump fails then the discharge pipe becomes a sealed pipe therefore the pipework becomes pressurised causing it to explode! I would install the unit and install the discharge pipework into a sump in the basement, using a sump pump to pump out the water if needed!

Not sure this is the right way but off the top of my head this is ALL

Hi Trevor
I have not come across this before either. If H/Sadia say it is ok, I would want it in writing before installation. I will have a think and see if I can come up with any suggestions
Steve

Sorry to wade into an old thread, but was anyone able to resolve this?

About two years ago I called Lambeth BC who were adamant that this wasn't permissible, BUT basements all over london are being dug out an then fitted with megaflow's that discharge into the sump?

Does anyone know of the precedent?
Cheers
SP

have to go and read megaflos instructions to get an answer or written response from megaflo, probably not mentioned in mis and they probably wont approve, omho but I havent asked megaflo to give definative reponse, that will stand up if it all goes wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Unvented Discharge - Basement Solution Req in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Here are some similar plumbing topics

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock