Search the forum,

Discuss Unvented Cylinders Hot Distribution in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Unvented Cylinders sealed system -
I am looking to start doing more unvented heating installs having become well versed to fitting combis , my question is if you situated a unvented cylinder in a downstairs location with multiple appliances upstairs would the hot distribution pipe have adequate pressure or would a pump need to be fitted?

1. You can't fit unvented hot water cylinders without a G3 registration, which requires training and qualification. Without a current G3 registration (valid for 5 years):
1a. You cannot legally install the cylinders.
1b. You cannot undertake to self-certify the installation for Building Control.
1c. You cannot legally give them the annual service they require.
2. The training will cover the sort of question you are asking. However, given that the main purpose of an unvented hot water system is to provide hot water at mains pressure, it doesn't matter where the cylinder is fitted.
3. You would of course need to check the proper static, dynamic pressures and flow rates of the incoming mains. You might need to consider upgrading the internal cold water connection to the cylinder.
4. In an exceptionally tall building you might need to consider pressure loss with increased height.

1. You can't fit unvented hot water cylinders without a G3 registration, which requires training and qualification. Without a current G3 registration (valid for 5 years):
1a. You cannot legally install the cylinders.
1b. You cannot undertake to self-certify the installation for Building Control.
1c. You cannot legally give them the annual service they require.
2. The training will cover the sort of question you are asking. However, given that the main purpose of an unvented hot water system is to provide hot water at mains pressure, it doesn't matter where the cylinder is fitted.
3. You would of course need to check the proper static, dynamic pressures and flow rates of the incoming mains. You might need to consider upgrading the internal cold water connection to the cylinder.
4. In an exceptionally tall building you might need to consider pressure loss with increased height.
Yes my next step is to get properly certified once colleges start reopening up again. I am yet to actively fit one I was curious about the hot supply. Thanks for the in depth reply.

Reply to Unvented Cylinders Hot Distribution in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Silly question (and might already been asked 100rds of time) - I am specifying a circulation pump for the hot water secondary (circulation) return to reduce the wait for hot water. HW is coming from unvented cylinder with a secondary return connection. The secondary return is almost straight...
Replies
Views
T
Hi We urgently need to get our h/w cylinder replaced because it's leaking. Our current system is oil boiler feeding underfloor downstairs, radiators upstairs and an unvented hot water cylinder for hot water. We are thinking of moving to a heat pump at some point but aren't ready to do this. My...
Replies
Views
Hi all. As the title says, I have a problem with an unvented cylinder I had installed last year where the first time I turn a hot tap on after the cylinder has been heated I get what sounds like a vibration. It generally starts about 1s after I open the tap and lasts for about 1.5s. I've...
Replies
Views
Good evening, I'd like your opinion on something that is worrying me please: my landlady's plumber replaced the bottom/night element of my 20-year-old unvented cylinder (an Ariston Classico HE STD 150) 5 days ago and I hadn't noticed that it was leaking. He fixed the leak today but now the...
Replies
Views
I recently installed new hot and cold feeds to a new downstairs cloakroom. After refilling the system the hot taps were all dribbling, spluttering and showing signs of an air lock. I attached cold mains to a hot tap and left it running for 15 minutes, while opening up each hot tap. They all...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock