Search the forum,

Discuss Unvented cylinder - water pressure in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Is that a vertical Tempest cylinder that has been turned on its side and mounted horizontally?

If so, WTF???

Time to get a new, G3 qualified, plumber in to survey the installation and quote for fixing any issues.

I hope you haven't paid the loft conversion company yet... :-(

Last edited:
He’s a cowboy. Should’ve done the cold feed right at the start. An accumulator or similar could help solve your problem but it certainly shouldn’t be at your expense. And no. Pressure and flow rate are key don’t drop to 15

Landmark lofts are the loft firm and landmark heating managed the cylinder installation. I dont think landmark heating are in trouble but think landmark lofts are. So incoming goes straight through house and under kitchen tiles. This and feed to cylinder(once correct) would all need to be replaced to get a good flow? The loft firms "engineer" that scoped the job and did pressure and flow tests never mentioned anything about incoming.

Well he clearly wasn’t qualified. He should as a minimum have tested static and dynamic pressure as well as lpm did he do any tests or just turn on a tap and say ooh that’s good

Easy way to test from the kitchen sink fill a 1l bottle and time it

Also you can buy a cheap pressure tester that will screw on at your washing machine valve

J have done. Kitchen sink comes straight from boiler and hot is about 8lpm. Same as shower in loft. Test on outside tap is consistent with their test. Was definitely over 20lpm

And to be fair the incoming is the least of your worries with the abortion cylinder install

I may be hedging my bets here but is there a chance that these cowboys have actually accidentally bypassed the cylinder and your hot water is all coming from the Combi still

J have done. Kitchen sink comes straight from boiler and hot is about 8lpm. Same as shower in loft. Test on outside tap is consistent with their test. Was definitely over 20lpm

Cold water test the cold please

I will get somebody onto it. What are the main risks of having it on side?

No warranty could split due to not designed for that

Have they allowed for the weight load in that area

It’s not installed to spec. It won’t heat correctly, your drawing off hot water from half way up so it won’t be hottest if cylinder is going through a reheat

It wouldn’t as the water will take the easiest route and that’ll be to the kitchen tap

It does sit on a huge 'I' beam and this loft firm have done hundreds of these. Doesnt mean their installers haven't been completely useless!
Based on what you’ve told us I wouldn’t trust any of it and would be getting it independently signed off

I will do. Thanks for your advice. Its much appreciated. What i still dont understand though is why when i first used the shower on first floor it was like a power shower!
I don’t think it matters mate. Get it fixed properly and safely. Let us know how you go

Just one further question. The plumber put a pump on the cold water supply because he said without it i wouldnt get many showers worth. Is this kind of pump needed on vertically installed units or did he know what he was doing was rubbish and decided to get the best out of it? He advised at the time that he was going to tell the loft firm that it needed one.

Reply to Unvented cylinder - water pressure in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock