Search the forum,

Discuss Unvented cylinder size in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Lost how mate? A new boiler and unvented cylinder with the boiler wired to a external weather sensor , I've recommended a water softener above . Kop
SO, at present im on a y plan, am i right in thinking, with an unvented a cylinder, it would be best to change over to an s plan, with the two valves close to the boiler? And if so, do i require an extra 5 or 6 core wire to link up new valves,??
If the y plan stays, i assume the new valve just goes near the cylinder somewhere and gets wired to the control centre....

Just want to try and do half a job! But do it right once!
New boiler is a bit costly at present...

SO, at present im on a y plan, am i right in thinking, with an unvented a cylinder, it would be best to change over to an s plan, with the two valves close to the boiler?
Weather compensation, if that's what you are still considering (I've lost track), is incompatible with standard S-plan with a cylinder as one zone because most of the time the CH water is below the 65°C minimum needed to heat the cylinder.

Various ways to do it but here's the Ideal wiring diagram for their heat only boiler and unvented cylinder with a outdoor sensor installed .Kop

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230303-195634.png
    Screenshot_20230303-195634.png
    303.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20230303-194928.png
    Screenshot_20230303-194928.png
    90.5 KB · Views: 8
SO, at present im on a y plan, am i right in thinking, with an unvented a cylinder, it would be best to change over to an s plan, with the two valves close to the boiler? And if so, do i require an extra 5 or 6 core wire to link up new valves,??
If the y plan stays, i assume the new valve just goes near the cylinder somewhere and gets wired to the control centre....

Just want to try and do half a job! But do it right once!
New boiler is a bit costly at present...
5 core and basically yes I'd change the 3 port to two or even 3 - 2 ports zone valves does your property need to be as warm upstairs as it does downstairs?

Bungalow....
Big bungalow? Still applies bedrooms and living areas can be split up all these little things add up to more control over your heating and savings on energy, the one big thing to remember is insulation 350 mm in your loft space is now the norm walls , floors I'd do the lot if I could in reality you probably can't 🙂 but just do what you can.

Big bungalow? Still applies bedrooms and living areas can be split up all these little things add up to more control over your heating and savings on energy, the one big thing to remember is insulation 350 mm in your loft space is now the norm walls , floors I'd do the lot if I could in reality you probably can't 🙂 but just do what you can.
4 bed, yeah, i suppose its big by todays standards, 80s...so insultaion is poor at least...on a hill to, so we catch the easterly blows!

As KoP suggested the best thing you can do to improve efficiency and comfort is to improve insulation - it really can't be overstated!
Weather comp is underrated too I think and is definitely possible with s-plan type setup. You could search for X-plan as an option, it does start to get a bit technical but well worth a try.

I just re-read this. I first read it as no more than 7 minutes at a time. Apologies, how long are you in there? 7 minutes is a long shower in my book. If it's going to be over 10-12 min each one after another, go bigger.
No idea! Ive never timed it tbh!!
I have more on my plate than thinking about shower times at present....selfish but true....shower time is my escape, my down time

Tbh i'd go off local recommendations from people who have actually used someone.
Agreed. Alternatively, if that doesn't work, try the cylinder manufacturer's website. They'll usually list several 'approved installers' for your area. They'll have done the manufacturer's product-specific training and you may get a longer warranty if you use them.

Is that INC VAT and you supplying all the materials and sourcing them? Or they sorting materials too.
Thats purely the labour content.inc vat. I have the cylinder, they say to supply pipe and fittings. Plus 1 zone valve.
Change y to s plan.
Move mag filter, as apparently its only on heating return and doing nowt for the boiler.
Raise f+e tank in loft.
Fit cylinder in loft on platform ive built.
Pipework to be run up new airing cupboard wall. Its a blank canvas in my book...

Am i so out of touch with life in 23!!?

I would say 3 days with lagging and the discharge pipework that runs externally u less you have a soil vent up there

Also I would recommended sealing the system as the cylinder is in the loft high chance of pumping over

3 days for 1 man?
NO, no soil vent, but there are easy options for discharge i would think...

Yes or 4 if it’s a pain discharge has to be copper or high temp plastic and if over x m it has to be 28mm it can’t be overflow tube

I would as your having the cylinder in the loft better heat up times customers report and not open to atmosphere so better water quality if flushed

Why high chance of what pumping over??

You haven’t much head from the top of the cylinder coil and bottom of the f and e tank at present you have around 2.4m ish with a cylinder in the loft maybe 1-1.5 m max

Yes you want a min of 2m above the coil of the cylinder to the bottom of the f and e tank

Reply to Unvented cylinder size in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock