Search the forum,

Discuss Unvented cylinder size in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

200/210 or 250l indirect unvented cylinder...

Pros and cons of both please guys, whats the thinking??
Better to go bigger, or are there other considerations to be thought of....?

Oso cylinders are also a good choice recently fitted this one I'd of thought 210 litres would be enough for 2 people but if your taking long showers and baths stagger the heating and primary heat times or get your system wired for priority hot water . Kop

Attachments

• IMG_20230127_083703314_MFNR.jpg
    IMG_20230127_083703314_MFNR.jpg
    344.3 KB · Views: 10
How many bedrooms (how many people could comfortably live there)
Is it likely to increase from the two of you?
Do you both shower or use the bath? If you use the bath is it daily?
Would you shower one after the other?
Average shower time in UK is apparently 7 minutes although personally I can't see how you can be in there that long.
Would you say that's correct?
What boiler is heating this cylinder? Is it a modern condensing boiler?

Oso cylinders are also a good choice recently fitted this one I'd of thought 210 litres would be enough for 2 people but if your taking long showers and baths stagger the heating and primary heat times or get your system wired for priority hot water . Kop
Looks nice and compact, id not seen these....wired for priority hot water...is this just a change in the control box wiring??

How many bedrooms (how many people could comfortably live there)
Is it likely to increase from the two of you?
Do you both shower or use the bath? If you use the bath is it daily?
Would you shower one after the other?
Average shower time in UK is apparently 7 minutes although personally I can't see how you can be in there that long.
Would you say that's correct?
What boiler is heating this cylinder? Is it a modern condensing boiler?
4 bedroom, maybe will at somepoint, yes, both shower, and usually after each other, probably spend way more than 7 mins at a time tbh!
Boiler is a 330i...i think....badged as a british gas...

Is the genaral oppinion, that it is better to go for a smaller unit and rely on the fact that they heat recovery is quicker or go for a larger unit and heat more than maybe required, on the basis that heat loss is better than it use to be....

On a 10 min shower at 10lpm it’s 67l hot etc so even if your doing 20 mins or 20lpm over 10 mins it’s 134l etc

Have a look at eph hot water priority kit

We should all be trying to conserve water not waste it there will for definite be a water shortage again this year as the weather has been to dry with no rainfall , and global warming 10 - 20 litres a minute is wasting water in my book I always install a 8 litre flow restrictor in shower heads and handsets it enough for a good shower, and save my customers money over the year, priority hot water is a good option as below but your boiler must be compatible to use this type of control and electricians often struggle to wire them mainly because there's not enough wires installed at the boiler or wiring centre . Kop

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230301-062320.png
    Screenshot_20230301-062320.png
    142.7 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20230301-062331.png
    Screenshot_20230301-062331.png
    261.6 KB · Views: 5
A 150 is plenty in my opinion. Even if there were 4 of you it would probably cope working on 10 litres per min over 7 minutes each shower. Reheat times are quick 70% in around 18 min, full in 26 min depending on make. Don't forget, you are mixing hot and cold. Varies a bit depending on cold temperature and hot store temperature, needs assessing by installer.

I see whopping cylinders in houses these days where there is absolutely no need. Some houses have more hot water than hotels and nursing homes I have worked in.

No point heating large volumes of water just for them to sit losing heat.

We should all be trying to conserve water not waste it there will for definite be a water shortage again this year as the weather has been to dry with no rainfall , and global warming 10 - 20 litres a minute is wasting water in my book I always install a 8 litre flow restrictor in shower heads and handsets it enough for a good shower, and save my customers money over the year, priority hot water is a good option as below but your boiler must be compatible to use this type of control and electricians often struggle to wire them mainly because there's not enough wires installed at the boiler or wiring centre . Kop
Valid points taken on board...
So are you saying the smaller cylinder is the best option??

With the above kit any boiler is

A 150 is plenty in my opinion. Even if there were 4 of you it would probably cope working on 10 litres per min over 7 minutes each shower. Reheat times are quick 70% in around 18 min, full in 26 min depending on make. Don't forget, you are mixing hot and cold. Varies a bit depending on cold temperature and hot store temperature, needs assessing by installer.

I see whopping cylinders in houses these days where there is absolutely no need. Some houses have more hot water than hotels and nursing homes I have worked in.

No point heating large volumes of water just for them to sit losing heat.
A 150l...🤷 really??

I have 170l on HW Priority and well, it's not enough (Cylinder was existing in house when we bought). 2 People at 20lpm showers. It reheats rapid (Maybe like 10 minutes), but personally if you've got the physical room i'd go with a minimum of 250l. Especially in a 4 bed house.

You don't need fancy controls. You can do it quite simply with a relay that costs £15.

I have 170l on HW Priority and well, it's not enough (Cylinder was existing in house when we bought). 2 People at 20lpm showers. It reheats rapid (Maybe like 10 minutes), but personally if you've got the physical room i'd go with a minimum of 250l. Especially in a 4 bed house.

You don't need fancy controls. You can do it quite simply with a relay that costs £15.
Intetesting, im listening....
🤪

I often spec for 'Gledhill platinum stainless indirect' cylinders. I rate them and they have the floating baffle that eliminates need for expansion vessel and adds a decent amount of accumulation that may help with your 'pressure' issues

No go for the plate heat exchanger with your current sized boiler.
330i is a rebadged Glowmorm boiler so she's getting on a bit now probably over ten years or more but if well maintained and serviced I'd connect to a unvented cylinder or you may want to consider a boiler upgrade at the same time , but as Timmy has said not suitable for a plate heat install as it is .

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230302-070051~2.png
    Screenshot_20230302-070051~2.png
    616.3 KB · Views: 5
330i is a rebadged Glowmorm boiler so she's getting on a bit now probably over ten years or more but if well maintained and serviced I'd connect to a unvented cylinder or you may want to consider a boiler upgrade at the same time , but as Timmy has said not suitable for a plate heat install as it is .
Yeah, thats the one, it still works and gives us heat! Its bastard expensive to run mind...
Im not against upgrading it, but i need to justify the cost against the working unit tbh...

Water softners a thing to look at....? Whats the best thing without spending a million bucks....😫

Never had a problem with Monarch water softeners and reasonably priced , I'd maybe think hard and get both boiler and cylinder done fit weather compensation is a must now to save energy. Kop

Attachments

• Ultimate_Water_Softeners_Brochure.pdf
    347.4 KB · Views: 5
Yeah, thats the one, it still works and gives us heat! Its bastard expensive to run mind...
Im not against upgrading it, but i need to justify the cost against the working unit tbh...

Water softners a thing to look at....? Whats the best thing without spending a million bucks....😫
Here's one I recommend around £500 . Kop

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230302-103339.png
    Screenshot_20230302-103339.png
    316.4 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_20230302-103425.png
    Screenshot_20230302-103425.png
    387 KB · Views: 14

Reply to Unvented cylinder size in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock