Search the forum,

Discuss Unvented Cylinder size ? ( Evocyl ) in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all I'm having New heating set up installed in a loft conversion the Cylinder ( unvented ) and Boiler are being sited in a cupboard within the loft space ( adjacent to the new stairs ) im a bit tight on space Height and width as I am trying not encroach on the bedroom as much as is possible was thinking of having a 210 litre but was wondering if id get away with a 180 ? Evocyl do a slim line which is only 475 wide as opposed to 545 wide for the Standard, but the slimline 210 is 1920 high whereas the 180 is 1750 if I had the 180 would it be too small ( Demand wise ) for a house with 1 Bathroom and a shower in the loft and would the 180 be cheaper to run as your not heating as much water ? as a house hold we never have baths showers the same time as all our jobs are different shift times we've only had a small Copper cylinder ( think its 144 litre ) and to be honest its not been a real problem so the 180 would still be an upgrade

Last edited:
180l would be fine might be worth having a look at hot water priority, also maybe a destrate pump aswell

Hi thanks for that ive not heard of a Destrate pump what do they do ?

moves the hot water from the top of the tank to the bottom giving you more capacity/ full capacity

as a house hold we never have baths showers the same time as all our jobs are different shift times we've only had a small Copper cylinder ( think its 144 litre ) and to be honest its not been a real problem so the 180 would still be an upgrade
You have to remember though if you're coming from gravity fed without pumps, the water will be coming out quicker hence you'll use more water. So your 144l might be fine now, but at 15lpm+ you'll run out quicker.

We have a 170l that we inherited with the house, and tbh it could do with being 200l+ for just the two of us. I have HW priority and it does help a lot and tbh it's is very rare now we run out.

cost of a bronze pump and a timer
been looking around web not a lot about the pumps are they just like / the same as the pumps that run the Central heating ie like a Grundfos

Central Heating Pumps | Central Heating | Screwfix.com - https://www.screwfix.com/c/heating-plumbing/central-heating-pumps/cat831036
[automerge]1596905249[/automerge]
You have to remember though if you're coming from gravity fed without pumps, the water will be coming out quicker hence you'll use more water. So your 144l might be fine now, but at 15lpm+ you'll run out quicker.

We have a 170l that we inherited with the house, and tbh it could do with being 200l+ for just the two of us. I have HW priority and it does help a lot and tbh it's is very rare now we run out.
Hi sorry I'm a little confused reading your reply you say you'd rather have a 200l + but your rarely run out with the 170 on HW water priority ?

Last edited:
[automerge]1596905548[/automerge]
Will run out with a shower at full flow at approximately 15mins so if your showers are longer than that or use more than 10lpm of hot water you will need more capacity

been looking around web not a lot about the pumps are they just like / the same as the pumps that run the Central heating ie like a Grundfos

Central Heating Pumps | Central Heating | Screwfix.com - https://www.screwfix.com/c/heating-plumbing/central-heating-pumps/cat831036
[automerge]1596905249[/automerge]

Hi sorry I'm a little confused reading your reply you say you'd rather have a 200l + but your rarely run out with the 170 on HW water priority ?
We rarely run out, but if we shower straight after one another then we would (our showers are 18lpm). We’ve learned to give it 10 mins between showers so that it gives it a bit of time to recover. Winter is worse as your incoming cold is much cooler. But yes when I replace it I’ll replace with 200/250. If we have guests over then we have to be careful, the extra cost for the bigger cylinder is minimal and tbh I doubt it’s very little extra to heat the 30l+ of water especially when they have little heat loss anyway.

We rarely run out, but if we shower straight after one another then we would (our showers are 18lpm). We’ve learned to give it 10 mins between showers so that it gives it a bit of time to recover. Winter is worse as your incoming cold is much cooler. But yes when I replace it I’ll replace with 200/250. If we have guests over then we have to be careful, the extra cost for the bigger cylinder is minimal and tbh I doubt it’s very little extra to heat the 30l+ of water especially when they have little heat loss anyway.
ah ok that makes sense I see what you are saying thanks

Reply to Unvented Cylinder size ? ( Evocyl ) in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock